Buying Advice: Note 8 and iPad Mini

tech_fan

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Before Verizon started carrying iPhones, I was an an Android user. So, my first iPhone was the iPhone 4. I was delighted with that device and when I was due for an upgrade, I started looking at the Samsung Galaxy S3. I was drawn to some of the features that the product had and the larger screen. I bought that device and soon became annoyed with the battery drain and found myself having to either buy and extended battery or turn off the updates to preserve the battery. The phone lasted 6 months before I upgraded to the iPhone 5.

Now I find myself intrigued by the Note 8. The multitasking option seems cool along with the S pen. However, when I went to Best Buy to look at the Note 8, there was no stylus and I really could not figure out how to use the device. So, when I left it felt like just another Android tablet.

I have a MacBook Air and a Ipad2 which I enjoy. Most of my apps are from iTunes. Has anyone tried out the Note 8 only to go with the iPad Mini and why did you convert?

pstmstr

Nov 23, 2008
Visit site
I tried the Note 8 but returned it. It's a nice device if you're into Android but has a low resolution screen like the original ipad mini. I now have an ipad mini retina heat works for me since I am into IOS with a 5s as well. I'd look at a Note 3 if I were thinking trying Android again. A bit smaller screen but they've really ramped up the pen capabilities.

icu

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the Note 8 interested me too, but the resolution is a non-starter. If/when they update it could be a very compelling device. I even was looking at the 10.1 "2014 edition" - if it were $399 I may have gone with it even though the TouchWiz interface seems to be causing UI lag etc. The specs are beastly, however.

The S-Pen stuff is very interesting. I'm not sure perhaps it was just another Samsung 8" tablet and not actually the Note? If you are interested in the stylus and wanted to spend a bit less money give the Tegra Note 7 a look. Seems rather good for the price: Tegra Note 7 review | Android Central

I guess the big questions is what are you going to use it for? If the Note 8 really has your attention wait a bit I think it's due for a refresh soon and if it has similar specs to the 10.1 it should be really nice.