Should a student get an iPad for college?

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Hello iMore,

Would you recommend a iPad for a student? Or should they go with a laptop? Please share your thoughts below, also what would be a major deciding point between the two?

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It depends if you like to read or not, because I feel iPad is really ultimately good for reading, it being almost a book size and all. It would serve as a good reading device for when you need to do research online as well, if not textbooks that you could theoretically buy and download on iBooks and I think for the Amazon Kindle app.

It could also serve as a way to funnel your study email and all if you have those..as it would be a super comfortable device for email reading, and the on-screen keyboard is actually decent to type on in small email sized bouts.

Sent from my HTC One using Mobile Nations mobile app

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
being a student I would definitely recommend it. I do all my weekly readings (a lot of paper) on it, it's amazing for all kinds of text/reading work, easily taken with you into lectures/seminars and iCloud+pages are also just neat. Take notes etc at uni and once you come home and turn on your desktop computer, bam, it is all right there waiting for you.

cyberpaw

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
If you can get both, that's the ideal. But if you can only afford one, read on....

For in class and around campus use, an iPad is more useable - smaller profile, lays flat on desk, not as visible to instructor, etc.. For more intensive use, like researching. typing and printing out papers - and there will be a lot of them - a laptop or desktop might be better.

I have students now who only use tablets, but they usually will have somekind of external keyboard, when they need to type a lot. Also you will need to have a wireless printer that is iPad compatible.

And then there are students who use tablets in class and where less typing is involved and then use an on-campus computer lab for more rigorous work.

Another consideration is software. A laptop is probably better, if you have to rely on using Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, etc. If you can get by on using Pages, Keynote, etc., an iPad would be fine.

And for times when you will have to give a classroom presentation using visual aides, remember to have compatible external cables to connect to the classroom AV equipment.

shief24

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
If you can afford it,go with both. Other than that my iPad is extremely useful for my school needs. I do all my readings, quick searches, listen to my lectures online, create notes with Evernote that syncs with my Mac. When it comes to typing though and doing long research nothing beats a desktop or laptop if I had to chose one or the other I'd go with the laptop

TiredOfPhoneWar

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Last year i heard on the radio some school in canada want the kids to have ipad, some parents didnt agree coz not many people can afford it.

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm currently studying at university and the iPad is a great device for reading papers and note taking, even some light assignment work. However once you've done all that, it's still best to get to a PC to get real work done. If you get an iPad you'll still need access to a "proper" computer but with a laptop it won't be as handy to take around and especially read on. The great thing about the iPad for me is that you can connect everything up to the cloud. So I can read a journal article and highlight it, comment on it and I can access it on my laptop later on when I'm doing my assignment, and also if I take notes during class on evernote I can access everything on my laptop as well later on.

Basically the only thing that a laptop has over the iPad for studying is powerful productivity apps. Also multitasking is an issue for me as I like to read a pdf and type at the same time, or copy and paste references and pictures from different windows.

justinkk2005

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm finishing my bachelor's degree and beginning my MBA this spring. I figured I would chime in on this. As much as I have tried to force myself to switch to iPad for school, I just can't do it. I have tried to use pages, keynote, etc to do all of my presentations and things on. The iPad lacks mouse capabilities which to me makes it more difficult to edit the finer things for school work and the lack of quick navigation throughout different programs. I went through an iPad 3, 4, and Air all thinking that new apps and improved OS would make it more possible and it just didn't. A laptop is 100% needed for college. There's no way that I could write my 30 page APA papers on an iPad all while doing peer-reviewed research and correct citations. It's just too difficult. I would recommend a laptop first, and if you can afford it an iPad for what the people above posted. Media. For media, an iPad is great as far as viewing powerpoints during class as the teachers go over them and watching lectures. But that's about the only use I could find for it.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I'm finishing my bachelor's degree and beginning my MBA this spring. I figured I would chime in on this. As much as I have tried to force myself to switch to iPad for school, I just can't do it. I have tried to use pages, keynote, etc to do all of my presentations and things on. The iPad lacks mouse capabilities which to me makes it more difficult to edit the finer things for school work and the lack of quick navigation throughout different programs. I went through an iPad 3, 4, and Air all thinking that new apps and improved OS would make it more possible and it just didn't. A laptop is 100% needed for college. There's no way that I could write my 30 page APA papers on an iPad all while doing peer-reviewed research and correct citations. It's just too difficult. I would recommend a laptop first, and if you can afford it an iPad for what the people above posted. Media. For media, an iPad is great as far as viewing powerpoints during class as the teachers go over them and watching lectures. But that's about the only use I could find for it.

Yep, pretty much. If you want to waste time and be less efficient, get an ipad. If you actually want the right tool for college, get a laptop. If an ipad can sub for some textbooks and be used as pdf viewer, then maybe it can be worthwhile but it only compliments your laptop which is essential. Personally, i preferred the old school method having paper notebooks, textbooks, etc that I could write all over. When you're studying or cramming, you want multiple sources on the table ready to look at. Not a lone ipad.

rayz336

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Hello iMore,

Would you recommend a iPad for a student? Or should they go with a laptop? Please share your thoughts below, also what would be a major deciding point between the two?

Definitely go for a laptop, an iPad is still very much a secondary device. I don't think a student could very successfully get through college with just an iPad at this point. I think screen size, efficiency, and power just cannot be matched by an iPad. Personally, I used my iPad for reading and music notation assignments while in undergrad. I cannot imagine not having my laptop to do the heavy lifting.

Elizabeth2

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Hello iMore,

Absolutely having both would be a major advantage. An iPad during a lecture - Using the Noteability App you can record the lecture, take notes, mark up the screen, highlight important sections, etc.
Advantages in all majors but especially in the engineering area.

Elizabeth2

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Yep, pretty much. If you want to waste time and be less efficient, get an ipad. If you actually want the right tool for college, get a laptop. If an ipad can sub for some textbooks and be used as pdf viewer, then maybe it can be worthwhile but it only compliments your laptop which is essential. Personally, i preferred the old school method having paper notebooks, textbooks, etc that I could write all over. When you're studying or cramming, you want multiple sources on the table ready to look at. Not a lone ipad.

Respectfully disagree cardfan. No time wasted using an iPad to its fullest capability. Using lecture notes you have marked up, voice notes you have taken, equations you have hand written...an iPad is indispensable for a college student. Searching thru stacks of hand written notes...hmmm

hearmeoutx

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I am currently in school working towards my BA in Early Childhood Education. I originally tried to use just my iPad for school, but I found it to be impossible to just rely on the iPad. For one, typing is not ideal even with an external device. Second, the software required to type reports is not really available on the iPad withy he features you might need.

I currently use a combination or both my iPad air and my MBA. If you can afford to have a laptop and an iPad, I'd recall recommend both. Otherwise, I'd really recommend choosing a laptop over just an iPad.

jlarkins08

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I have a iPad mini and I think it's great for having my ebooks on for class. I like that I don't have to buy paperback books, I can just use my iPad and bookmark what I need to also take notes when I need to all in the ebook app.. I think it's neat and less clutter in my bag.. I also agree with having a good laptop for writing papers and for online homework, the iPad is just not great in this area yet..

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

93Aero

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
For the price and amount of software the comes pre installed on the Surface tablet personally I think that would be a better buy.
It has some cool features that work great in a class room environment.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
The Surface Tablet is basically a laptop in the shape of a tablet. I would recommend both an iPad and a laptop for a College Student. The iPad for notes and a laptop for the essays.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73