iOS 9.3 beta public on iPad Pro - no pencil scrolling problem. Has anyone else had this problem?

Trigati

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
But there's no reason they need to remove the additional functionality that exists currently in 9.2.

If I'm already using the pencil I now have to put it down or switch my grip on it if I want to scroll or tap? Or for some people who might actually need to use a stylus type device for some reason, instead of just buying an apple pencil and being done with it, they now have to buy two additional things?

Sorry, but it's a load of BS if they're actually removing functionality and this isn't just a bug.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: iOS 9.3 beta public on iPad Pro - no pencil scrolling problem

What does Apple gain by disallowing the Pencil to be used for navigation?

samcochrane

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
This is fairly off-topic here, but I'll brave the waters and ask anyway:

If I install the public beta of 9.3, when the general release comes out, will I be able to OTA update to that build without any data loss?

dave1704

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site

It is dawning on users that this is not a bug, but a decision by Apple to prevent users from using the pencil for anything other than artworking. We thought Apple had changed their mind about a Tablet being a failure if it works with a stylus. But they hadn't.
Very poor treatment of users. If Apple had wanted to make the pencil have no navigational functionality, they should have removed functionality from the start. To have that functionality and then take it away, is clearly contemptuous of its customers.

Trigati

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site

It is dawning on users that this is not a bug, but a decision by Apple to prevent users from using the pencil for anything other than artworking. We thought Apple had changed their mind about a Tablet being a failure if it works with a stylus. But they hadn't.
Very poor treatment of users. If Apple had wanted to make the pencil have no navigational functionality, they should have removed functionality from the start. To have that functionality and then take it away, is clearly contemptuous of its customers.

This is exactly my stance on it. I really want the Pro and the Pencil was a no-brainer. Now, unless this is truly a bug and not a conscious decision to remove functionality, they've lost at least one Pencil sale. I'm no artist, but I do a lot of PDF work and the pencil would have been great. However, unless the current functionality in 9.2 is brought back into 9.3, I'll just buy a Jot Dash or something else I can use with all my devices for half the price.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site

If I can't use the Pencil for navigation they can just keep it as I'm no artist either. I have a Jot Pro and I will just keep using it.

kvnchris99

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Man, I REALLY hope they don't keep this idea implemented. I can understand how it might not look as "pure" in Jony's eyes using a Pencil to scroll safari, but omg it's SO convenient. And I'm talking when just laid back not even drawing or anything. Just that extra 8" reach being able to scroll or flip thru a book is seriously amazing. We should all submit feedback on this one. I won't upgrade if they change that!

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me

I'm still hoping it becomes a Settings switch, like the four finger gestures. I get why some people would prefer distinct multitouch versus pencil gestures. And they also get by someone that just your notification. Seems like one of those times when we really could have best of both worlds.

ianeb

Feb 14, 2015
Visit site

I'm still hoping it becomes a Settings switch, like the four finger gestures. I get why some people would prefer distinct multitouch versus pencil gestures. And they also get by someone that just your notification. Seems like one of those times when we really could have best of both worlds.

The two are separate aren't they? Sure I've read it won't interfere with finger gestures, the iPad knows when the pencil is near and automatically starts scanning at a higher frame rate. Is a switch necessary? If you prefer to scroll and navigate with touch it should still function? Haven't actually got my pencil yet so apologies if I've read this wrong.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site

Why would you need a switch? If you don't want to use the pencil keep it in your bag? Interesting part is that when you do have the pencil in hand it just feels more naturual to use it to select buttons and use as a virtual finger. That all changes when you set the pencil down and go back to using the iPad Pro without it.

reygza

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
New beta, and Pencil navigation is back for those crying for it.

I didn't care either way as I only used the Pencil when using a drawing/sketching app. Otherwise I left it in the bag.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner