Apple pencil lacks eraser comments... Frustrating!!!

jeff hubert1

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
I find it strange that so many journalists, bloggers, and your everyday geeks criticize Apple for making the Pencil without an eraser on the end. Who are these people?

The last time I and probably most designers/professionals used a pencil with a eraser on the end was back in grade school. To say that MS Surface Pro pen got it right is baffling.

An artist or designer that uses a eraser would never use the kind traditionally found on the end of a grade school pencil. Their need for an eraser generally requires more precision than the reddish brown nub can provide.

When I was in design school we all used white Staedtler erasers and some used electric erasers. Now that's and eraser!

Apple got it right, again.

Reviewers stop with these stupid criticisms, your embarrassing me.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I find it strange that so many journalists, bloggers, and your everyday geeks criticize Apple for making the Pencil without an eraser on the end. Who are these people?

The last time I and probably most designers/professionals used a pencil with a eraser on the end was back in grade school. To say that MS Surface Pro pen got it right is baffling.

An artist or designer that uses a eraser would never use the kind traditionally found on the end of a grade school pencil. Their need for an eraser generally requires more precision than the reddish brown nub can provide.

When I was in design school we all used white Staedtler erasers and some used electric erasers. Now that's and eraser!

+1 ↑↑

TheRadBear

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site

Hi,

Although somewhat apologetic to Apple haters (who cares!), I think you have nailed it; using an eraser can be equally creative as using the tip of a sharp pencil, and as such, would require the same type of sensors that the Pencil has on its currently available main tip. Knowing Apple and the way they iterate their products, I would not be surprised if that was on the list for Apple Pencil 2.

Cheers!

muchospanish

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I agree (even though I'm not an artist or a professional, but I'm an an avid iOS user), but I have to say, when I was trying out the Surface at the Microsoft store, I instinctively flipped their pen over to erase something. Still, like you say, the way to do it is using an eraser software tool to set the precision the way you want it.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I agree (even though I'm not an artist or a professional, but I'm an an avid iOS user), but I have to say, when I was trying out the Surface at the Microsoft store, I instinctively flipped their pen over to erase something. Still, like you say, the way to do it is using an eraser software tool to set the precision the way you want it.

Why not have both???? During note taking, I don't need to erase "artistically"...... I just need to erase. :)

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
For me, I use "undo" more often than erase. It's pretty natural to just hit that icon or if needed, to hit the erase icon.

Flip the pen to use the eraser....that's so 20th century.

arwars

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
in One Note or some other app where I might want to erase a large swath without having to "undo it" and start over... it makes sense. I agree with you on the artistic front, but I can also see where it wouldn't be functional for most.

an eraser nub would be more detailed for that and would be a great submission for increased functionality in the surface pen. 1024 levels of erasing with a fine point!!! :)

WayneJetski

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
I currently get by fine without an eraser on my stylus, but I can imagine that I would really appreciate having one. I might be using an inferior note taking app, but I can get frustrated or slowed down at times when I have to select the eraser tool -> erase stuff -> then select the next tool -> use that. A streamlined option might be better for me if it were available.