Got it.... and bummed. The store had no pencils or keyboards.

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Am I the only one here that finds it completely unimpressive? Will wait for delivery of the pencil before my mind is made up but honestly for the average user this thing is next to useless. Yeah great it has stereo speakers?! Apple is going to have to do much better than this. I suppose I was expecting it to change the world again, I was expecting it to redefine the iPad experience and it doesn't in any way shape or form.

Are you serious or just looking to spark debate?

It would be helpful if you listed a few things you need it to do, what iPad you have now (if any) or just which field or study you're in... maybe this forum can point out a few things for you.

Nursedad

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Based on the posts here, it sounds like many of you plan to get the pencil. Mind if I ask why? I see its usefulness for drawing, designing, etc., but I don't do those things and so I can't imagine how I'd use it.

I can think of several use cases for the pencil outside of illustration. I am a business executive and spend quite a bit of time reviewing reports and sitting in meeting rooms talking about those reports. With the surface and specifically the pen, I spent a good deal of productive time annotating directly on the reports and also concurrently taking handwritten notes. I like to "feel" the words on the paper (or screen in this case) as it helps me to remember the content. I am also a student, so the ability to annotate / highlight important info within research documents is another use case for the pencil.

I suppose everyone will have different workflows, so the thought of writing on a screen with a "pencil" might not fit the bill for everyone.

neurodave

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I'd dare to say the iPad Pro is a "niche" product, but a profitable one at that. I don't Apple is expecting to shatter sales records, nor will it necessarily revive its iPad line-up as a whole BUT it'll be a nice shot in the arm for it. The iPad Pro user will be a mashup of professionals (ex. artists, business, sales, etc) who will use its bigger screen and stylus to their full extent AND the Apple or tech diehard who just has to have the latest and greatest.

That being said, Apple dropped the ball by not having the stylus and keyboard readily available. A large chunk of the iPad Pros hype revolves around those accessories.

TheRadBear

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
I'd dare to say the iPad Pro is a "niche" product, but a profitable one at that. I don't Apple is expecting to shatter sales records, nor will it necessarily revive its iPad line-up as a whole BUT it'll be a nice shot in the arm for it. The iPad Pro user will be a mashup of professionals (ex. artists, business, sales, etc) who will use its bigger screen and stylus to their full extent AND the Apple or tech diehard who just has to have the latest and greatest.

That being said, Apple dropped the ball by not having the stylus and keyboard readily available. A large chunk of the iPad Pros hype revolves around those accessories.

Two points:

1. An excellent niche product;
2. They did drop the ball, no doubts about that;

Thanks.

Last edited:

dseiden

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
It is interesting to note that some stores are getting a trickle of pencils now but at least the store I was at today had not seen any except for the demo units they had out there.

I am hoping that by next month they will be a little more accessible as I think for not taking it will be the best solution option. I am trying the 53 stylus now and it is not bad but having a hard tip will make note taking much nicer I think.

Frehley

Ambassador
Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Ordered my Apple pencil from Best Buy online on Friday and it is being delivered today...going after work and get my 128gb Pro.

dseiden

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
I clicked on the link for the Pencil from Best Buy but all I get as an option is to check stores. I was all ready to have one this week but no matter what machine I look on it only has the check stores and according to Best Buy there are not stores within 250 miles that has it..

Not sure how they came up with 250 miles as I would not even drive 50 miles for it.

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Let me just say, I'm not in the graphical design, artistic area or any similar profession.

I've had my Pro since the 19th - primary uses are email (AltaMail), Todoist, GoodNotes, Evernote, Browser, Youtube & Twitter & Facebook posting/reading). It has replaced my Macbook Air at work but I still use a Windows laptop for our time clock software and two other programs.

I thought I'd want the Pencil but so far, using my finger & the Musemee Notier V2 Precision Stylus ($16.99) that I ordered way back in August 2014. It's great for precise writing, filling out PDF's in GoodNotes, etc.

At this point, it seems that I don't need the Pencil after all.

dseiden

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
Rumors on the Internet are saying that the Apple stores will have Pencils in stock on Black Friday. Not sure how many this would be or if it is worth battling the crowds but figured this might be of interest to some what might be going on Friday anyway.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2