Should the iPad Pro run a modified version of macOS?

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I've stated on numerous occasions that, in my opinion, the iPad Pro models should either run macOS or at least a modified version of it. Without it, it can be argued that it's just an updated iPad that Apple could have easily named the iPad Air 3. What do you think?

I think that Apple have been keeping their iPad line running IOS because it might hinder sales of their 12" Macbook. I say this because, you could pick up the 128 GB model (12.9" iPad) for around $899 maybe even cheaper in some stores since its getting a little older. Whereas the 12" Macbook is selling for $1,299. So the 12.9" iPad is a pretty significant savings. Why wouldn't you buy it if it ran the same OS? :)

Maybe I'm wrong, but thats how i see it. :)

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I think that Apple have been keeping their iPad line running IOS because it might hinder sales of their 12" Macbook. I say this because, you could pick up the 128 GB model (12.9" iPad) for around $899 maybe even cheaper in some stores since its getting a little older. Whereas the 12" Macbook is selling for $1,299. So the 12.9" iPad is a pretty significant savings. Why wouldn't you buy it if it ran the same OS? :)

I'm sure that's the reason, and I get it. Having said that, if the trend is moving toward a tablet running a full fledged OS, then they should consider it an option. How many customers have they lost to the Surface Pro, especially business people? Even if it did cut into iPad sales, they would still come out ahead, in my opinion. Anyway, like you, I'm just sharing an opinion, my friend it's not a right or wrong conversation...:)

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
The iPad has always been the "larger iPhone". That's what everyone called it when it came out.
If you want to get people to see it as more than just an iPad, and run other software, naming it something else will avoid confusion. Apple has so many offerings between tablets and laptops that the line is blurred enough without calling something the same thing as something else but making it different.

The iPad certainly has been that...but then when they release an iPad PRO, in my opinion, that could have been the moment for that product line to separate itself from the others. It's no longer just an "iPad". They added the "Pro" modifier to it. Pro should be more than size.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
The iPad certainly has been that...but then when they release an iPad PRO, in my opinion, that could have been the moment for that product line to separate itself from the others. It's no longer just an "iPad". They added the "Pro" modifier to it. Pro should be more than size.

There is more than size, and in some cases the size is the same.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

I believe that to be true.

I sometimes chuckle when watching their iPad ads using Twitter users. Many of the advantages they hold over PC's can also be applied to Macbooks lol. So I definitely think there is a way to differentiate the two product lines. I don't think it'd be smart to completely mimic what the MacBooks do. But certainly there is a way to leverage the capabilities of the iPad line that would separate it from their other product lines while each individual product line would continue to have their advantages.

iPhones- Well these are phones so that's their key differentiator.

iPads- Portable tablet

iPad Pro- Portable tablet for the power users with additional optimization for more extreme users. Maybe trackpad/mouse support? File system management? Desktop grade applications? Stronger camera software for photographers? (This one is particularly interesting. Think about all of the photographers who are currently using the iPhones for photography. Imagine the iPad Pro line with premium camera hardware/software allowing for the instant editing of photos. Seems awesome to me lol)

MacBook- No changes needed here. There would still be a need for traditional computers. Not all applications would be optimized for an iPad Pro. Some would simply be better utilized on the Macbook line.

In my mind I could just see many other ways I could be using my iPad than I'm currently able to due to software limitations.

I'm just a dreamer lol.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
There is more than size, and in some cases the size is the same.

Correct. There are hardware differences. But how are the hardware differences used to provide a better software experience in the Pro devices aside from processing speed? What additional features are available? I acknowledge the Smart Keyboard and the Apple Pencil. The Pencil especially is a great tool that would justify the Pro devices to some. But that's really the only thing I can think of.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I'd be more than happy if they changed the name to something other than "iPad" if that's the reason it needs to run iOS. Why do our iPads NEED to run the same OS as our iPhones? Simply because that's what we are used to? In my opinion, a Pro iPad shouldn't run the same OS as an iPhone SE.
The iPad has always been the "larger iPhone". That's what everyone called it when it came out.
If you want to get people to see it as more than just an iPad, and run other software, naming it something else will avoid confusion. Apple has so many offerings between tablets and laptops that the line is blurred enough without calling something the same thing as something else but making it different.

How about how Samsung does it? They had the Galaxy Note Pro targeted at business users, and the Galaxy Tab Pro targeted at consumers. It worked very well.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site

I'm sure that's the reason, and I get it. Having said that, if the trend is moving toward a tablet running a full fledged OS, then they should consider it an option. How many customers have they lost to the Surface Pro, especially business people? Even if it did cut into iPad sales, they would still come out ahead, in my opinion. Anyway, like you, I'm just sharing an opinion, my friend it's not a right or wrong conversation...:)

Well said

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Correct. There are hardware differences. But how are the hardware differences used to provide a better software experience in the Pro devices aside from processing speed? What additional features are available? I acknowledge the Smart Keyboard and the Apple Pencil. The Pencil especially is a great tool that would justify the Pro devices to some. But that's really the only thing I can think of.

• True Tone display (with laminated screen)
  • A9X processor vs A9
  • Up to 256gb
  • Higher res front/rear camera (12MP rear/5MP front vs 8MP rear/1.2MP front)
  • 4 speakers vs 2

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
  • True Tone display (with laminated screen)
  • A9X processor vs A9
  • Up to 256gb
  • Higher res front/rear camera (12MP rear/5MP front vs 8MP rear/1.2MP front)
  • 4 speakers vs 2

The True Tone isn't available on the 12.9 (more expensive) model.

But those are also hardware differences that, in my opinion, don't further separate the software experience much. And the topic is about the software experience on the devices. In my opinion, those differences don't cut it. I would like something more out of the software on the Pro devices, personally. Thats all I want lol.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
The True Tone isn't available on the 12.9 (more expensive) model.

But those are also hardware differences that, in my opinion, don't further separate the software experience much. And the topic is about the software experience on the devices. In my opinion, those differences don't cut it. I would like something more out of the software on the Pro devices, personally. Thats all I want lol.

Understood. D is the one who started this mess. lol

To me it's not worth it... I have the iPad 2 and a MBP. Any other iPad is useless to me... the iPad I got for $300 to replace a 1st gen Mini so it's quite the upgrade. Don't need anything in between!

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 11, 2013
Visit site
It really isn't when you look at how they marketed the two devices. Perhaps I just payed more attention to the difference between the two devices? Perhaps I'm just more intelligent than most customers?
Let's name both products with Pro in the name ... that's not confusing at all ...

Since we're on the subject of Samsung marketing whats the genius of having a Galaxy Tab A, Galaxy Tab E lite 7.0, Galaxy Tab, A 10.1, Galaxy Tab S3, Galaxy Tab E 8.0, Galaxy Tab Pro S, Galaxy Tab S2 9.7, Galaxy View, Galaxy Tab S2 8.0, Galaxy Tab E, Galaxy Tab A 8.0, Galaxy Tab A 9.7, Galaxy Tab 3 V, Galaxy Tab Active, Galaxy Tab S 10.5, Galaxy Tab S 8.4, Galaxy Tab 4 7.0, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0, Galaxy Tab 4 10.1, Galaxy Tab 3 Lite, Galaxy Note Pro 12.2, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1, Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2, Galaxy Note 10.1, Galaxy Tab # Kids, Active Q, Active Tab 3, Galaxy Tab 3 8.0, Galaxy Tab 3 10.1, Galaxy Tab 3 7.0, Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note LTE, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Galaxy Tab2 10.1, Active Tab 5, Active Tab 7, Active Tab, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 LTE, Galaxy Player 3.6, Galaxy Player 4.2, Galaxy Note 10.1, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, Galaxy Tab 7.7 LTE, Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus, Galaxy Tab 10.1 T-Mobile, Galaxy Tab 7.7, Galaxy Tab 8.9 LTE, Galaxy Tab 8.9, Galaxy Player 5, Galaxy S WiFi 4.0, Galaxy Tab 10.1 V, Galaxy Player 50, Galaxy Tab 4G LTE, Galaxy Tab at&t, Galaxy Tab T-Mobile, Galaxy Tab CDMA, Galaxy Tab ...

Now with Apple: iPad, iPad2, iPad 3, iPad Air, iPad Mini 1-4, iPad Air2, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 12.7, and now we've went full circle iPad ...

muchospanish

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It either has to be MacOS (not likely) or they really have to get to work on iOS. I only have an iPad and an iPhone and I feel the frustrations every day of having to use work-arounds or having to move files one by one instead of multiple at a time.

This is it for iOS. If something big doesn't come in June, I don't think the iPad will have much of a future.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen