Should the iPad Pro run a modified version of macOS?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've stated on numerous occasions that, in my opinion, the iPad Pro models should either run macOS or at least a modified version of it. Without it, it can be argued that it's just an updated iPad that Apple could have easily named the iPad Air 3. What do you think?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
As long as it's called "iPad", it should run iOS. If it's more of a Surface-type device, then sure, but don't call it iPad to avoid confusion!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
As long as it's called "iPad", it should run iOS. If it's more of a Surface-type device, then sure, but don't call it iPad to avoid confusion!

Wouldn't the "Pro" label differentiate itself from the other iPad models?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't want that but, of course, that's just my personal preference. I really enjoy iOS and the whole app environment that comes with it. I have a MacBook Pro if I'm looking for a more traditional computing environment but that's only a small percentage of the time.

I think it would also just give developers a reason to charge more for apps. Currently, developers have to consider EVERYONE that uses iOS when they price their apps, not just pro users. If they are able to differentiate between the different iPads I can see a lot of price increases in the future, much like they already do for macOS.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely and I've mentioned this numerous times. There is no reason to have an iPad PRO that runs the same OS that I run on my iPhone or on less capable iPad models. The Pro line absolutely needs an OS that differentiates itself from the others. It should be "Pro" for something other than simply it's size.

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely and I've mentioned this numerous times. There is no reason to have an iPad PRO that runs the same OS that I run on my iPhone or on less capable iPad models. The Pro line absolutely needs an OS that differentiates itself from the others. It should be "Pro" for something other than simply it's size.
This!

It's like what Samsung did with the Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 and the Galaxy Note Pro 12.2. Both have almost identical hardware, but the Note has the S-Pen and software which is marketed towards business users.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

'Nuf said...:)

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
So obviously there are a lot of people who want a modified version of macOS on an iPad Pro. No problem. My question is this: What are you looking for in macOS for iPad Pro that you can't get using iOS and the millions of apps available for it? What is iOS missing? I'm not saying that there wouldn't be an advantage, I'm just wondering what the argument would be aside from just "I want it to be different because it's a Pro".

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
So obviously there are a lot of people who want a modified version of macOS on an iPad Pro. No problem. My question is this: What are you looking for in macOS for iPad Pro that you can't get using iOS and the millions of apps available for it? What is iOS missing? I'm not saying that there wouldn't be an advantage, I'm just wondering what the argument would be aside from just "I want it to be different because it's a Pro".
Perhaps something like a Surface Pro?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

As long as iOS is on the iPad, it will never shake the image of being a large iPhone. In regard to the iPad Pro, only accessories separate it from the iPad Air - the Pencil and the Apple Smart Keyboard. That shouldn't be. Of course there are specs differences, but that's a given. As have already been stated, it should follow the trend set by the Surface Pro, in my opinion, of course...:)

ItnStln

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
As long as iOS is on the iPad, it will never shake the image of being a large iPhone. In regard to the iPad Pro, only accessories separate it from the iPad Air - the Pencil and the Apple Smart Keyboard. That shouldn't be. Of course there are specs differences, but that's a given. As have already been stated, it should follow the trend set by the Surface Pro, in my opinion, of course...:)
This

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

I've personally got a couple of "gripes".

The iPad Pro is priced around $970. For around $30 more you can get an entire MacBook with a functional keyboard. There really is no question on which device of the two is more "capable" from a feature perspective. It seems odd to me that for $30 less you'd get a device that is less functional with no keyboard that runs the same operating system found on our phones. I'd personally like to see something that sets the Pro line apart from the phones. Premium/desktop grade applications, file system management, peripheral support, increased multitasking capabilities beyond split screen (imagine the iMessages application on top of the web browser while surfing the web with the ability to move the app around with finger input).

I just feel like the hardware of the Pro devices is incredible and Apple really isn't leveraging it to its full capabilities. I love my Pro. I wouldn't trade it for the world. There are absolutely times where it is easier and more convenient to use than pulling out my MacBook. But aside from the screen...in my opinion, it really is just a big iPhone. (The Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard is a nice touch though)

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I've personally got a couple of "gripes".

The iPad Pro is priced around $970. For around $30 more you can get an entire MacBook with a functional keyboard. There really is no question on which device of the two is more "capable" from a feature perspective. It seems odd to me that for $30 less you'd get a device that is less functional with no keyboard that runs the same operating system found on our phones. I'd personally like to see something that sets the Pro line apart from the phones. Premium/desktop grade applications, file system management, peripheral support, increased multitasking capabilities beyond split screen (imagine the iMessages application on top of the web browser while surfing the web with the ability to move the app around with finger input).

I just feel like the hardware of the Pro devices is incredible and Apple really isn't leveraging it to its full capabilities. I love my Pro. I wouldn't trade it for the world. There are absolutely times where it is easier and more convenient to use than pulling out my MacBook. But aside from the screen...in my opinion, it really is just a big iPhone. (The Apple Pencil and Smart Keyboard is a nice touch though)

A traditional file system would be a game changer. I could easily buy into that.

I never thought about the small price point difference between the iPad Pro and the base MacBook...interesting.

ralphelliott

Jan 4, 2017
Visit site
Now that they're promoting it as a laptop replacement, yes, otherwise it's not a genuine substitute. Exactly what sort of hybrid they could create I'm not so sure.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If it runs something other than iOS, it's not an iPad.
I disagree. iOS is merely the operating system running in all iPads, iPod Touch devices and iPhones, but iOS is not the devices themselves.
MacBook Pro doesn't run a different OS than the MacBook. Mac Pro doesn't run a different OS than the Mac Mini or iMac.
Natively, it doesn't, but you and I both know that it can run other operating systems via boot camp.

If that's all there is why have a topic? ;)
....:)...You already know why.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I disagree. iOS is merely the operating system running in all iPads, iPod Touch devices and iPhones, but iOS is not the devices themselves. Natively, it doesn't, but you and I both know that it can run other operating systems via boot camp.

I think you're more likely to have the ability to not buy an iPad Pro because it doesn't suit your needs than you are to get an iPad (which is still an iPad) with a different OS. ;-P

I don't know that Apple will do anything to jeopardize their MacBook sales by allowing other OS on the iPad. Doesn't mean it won't happen but that's "my" thought.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
If it runs something other than iOS, it's not an iPad. MacBook Pro doesn't run a different OS than the MacBook. Mac Pro doesn't run a different OS than the Mac Mini or iMac.

If that's all there is why have a topic? ;)

I'd be more than happy if they changed the name to something other than "iPad" if that's the reason it needs to run iOS. Why do our iPads NEED to run the same OS as our iPhones? Simply because that's what we are used to? In my opinion, a Pro iPad shouldn't run the same OS as an iPhone SE.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'd be more than happy if they changed the name to something other than "iPad" if that's the reason it needs to run iOS. Why do our iPads NEED to run the same OS as our iPhones? Simply because that's what we are used to? In my opinion, a Pro iPad shouldn't run the same OS as an iPhone SE.

The iPad has always been the "larger iPhone". That's what everyone called it when it came out.
If you want to get people to see it as more than just an iPad, and run other software, naming it something else will avoid confusion. Apple has so many offerings between tablets and laptops that the line is blurred enough without calling something the same thing as something else but making it different.