Keyboard essential?

Rev17

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
I have been reading imore a long time. Here and on numerous tech articles it's being said that accessories are a must for making full use of the pro. I have been using one for quite some time without the apple pencil or the keyboard case. Am I losing out?
Is it essential to the experience?

Or is it something I could live without? I am also using a macbook pro. So my typing needs get taken care of.

Please advise. Cheers!

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I have been reading imore a long time. Here and on numerous tech articles it's being said that accessories are a must for making full use of the pro. I have been using one for quite some time without the apple pencil or the keyboard case. Am I losing out?
Is it essential to the experience?

Or is it something I could live without? I am also using a macbook pro. So my typing needs get taken care of.

Please advise. Cheers!

All I'm using on my iPad is a silicone case and smart cover, no keyboard. I do, however, have the Apple Pencil. Are you missing out? Depends on that you use it for. I'm a proav integrator so I use my iPad for work most of the time with several design apps that I use to design my electronics installations. I tried using a plain stylus but I find the thin point of the AP works great for my design needs.

As for typing, like you I use my laptop most of the time. However, for those times I need to compose or reply to an email in detail, I have SwiftKey installed.

As @Hectorius said, in some cases it's not essential but SOOOOOO nice to have and use.

Rev17

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
All I'm using on my iPad is a silicone case and smart cover, no keyboard. I do, however, have the Apple Pencil. Are you missing out? Depends on that you use it for. I'm a proav integrator so I use my iPad for work most of the time with several design apps that I use to design my electronics installations. I tried using a plain stylus but I find the thin point of the AP works great for my design needs.

As for typing, like you I use my laptop most of the time. However, for those times I need to compose or reply to an email in detail, I have SwiftKey installed.

As @Hectorius said, in some cases it's not essential but SOOOOOO nice to have and use.

I am a casual business user. Lots of Emails and Web browsing along with creating and editing documents. What I use now is a Logitech external bluetooth keyboard if I have to work on my iPad Pro. I do a lot of travelling by train and carrying the macbook everytime isn't feasible. Bt the external keyboard also means I can't get work done in the train on my lap.

BParker4381

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking about picking one up but I would have to get one that does not "dock" to the iPad since I use a Otterbox Defender case. I don't think it is essential however physical keyboards are always better.

muchospanish

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I used iPads for five years before ever attaching a keyboard. I could honestly say I would never go back. I'd rather use a Chrome Book (my second favorite device).

Rev17

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
Thanx alot guys! I will save some cash and buy the apple keyboard. Liked the Logitech create as well but it's just too bulky for my liking.

muchospanish

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
After three and a half months, my Apple Smart Keyboard started dying, working only sometimes. Apple replaced it right away. I've also had great tech support from Belkin.

Rev17

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
After three and a half months, my Apple Smart Keyboard started dying, working only sometimes. Apple replaced it right away. I've also had great tech support from Belkin.

We dont have 'Apple' stores in India. Have to work through resellers. I fortunately haven't encountered any issues with any of my apple devices yet (own iphone 6s and se, ipad pro, macbook pro, ipod nano) so haven't seen what service they give. Hopefully its as good as what we get through the apple store.

muchospanish

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
We dont have 'Apple' stores in India. Have to work through resellers.

That's very interesting. I will likely be living in a country without Apple Stores in a couple of years and I was wondering what I would have done.

Belkin's customer service was excellent. They replaced a keyboard case for me a couple of years ago. The phone agent was top-notch.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73