Anyone attempting to write their novel this year on the iPad pro? Are you using the apple keyboard or something else? I've been using my MacBook pro mostly and iPad here and there. I might go invest in the smart keyboard case, but I haven't really had the need to just yet.

Good luck out there to all the nanowrimoers
    11-04-2016 08:03 AM
    Hopefully the members who indeed plan on writing a novel on their iPad Pro devices will reply soon.
    11-05-2016 06:29 PM
    What app do you use for your novel? Scrivener? Ulysses? Something else?
    11-06-2016 07:07 AM
    I'm using Scrivener. It was daunting when I first started using it, but the more you use it, and try areas of it, the better it gets. I don't think I could write using anything else anymore. I'm so happy for the iOS version now too, however, I keep getting some syncing errors when I move from my laptop to my iPad Pro. I messed around with it last night, and I think I have it all smoothed out though.
    11-06-2016 07:33 AM
    I still haven't gotten up the nerve to write a book yet, but it's nice to know I can use my iPad Pro to do it.
    11-07-2016 07:04 AM
    Not quite: I'm writing detailed trail reports with pics and diagrams, I use Pages and no keyboard:
    For me the whole point of an iPad is to do away with the keyboard
    11-08-2016 09:50 AM
    agreed. one of the reasons I haven't bought the keyboard case yet.
    11-09-2016 05:25 PM
    I'm about 20000 words in. How are you guys doing?
    11-13-2016 09:20 AM
    35k words here. I've mostly used my rMBP but I've used my iPad Pro some while travelling too.
    11-23-2016 09:16 AM
    I wrote for a while on my iphone in bed the other night using Scrivener. I'm really wondering if I should get the apple keyboard case for my ipad now, even though I feel like it should be a device without a keybaord.
    11-27-2016 08:47 AM
    I wrote for a while on my iphone in bed the other night using Scrivener. I'm really wondering if I should get the apple keyboard case for my ipad now, even though I feel like it should be a device without a keybaord.
    I denied myself a keyboard case for five years, and the day I got one, it changed my iPad experience immensely.
    11-27-2016 06:56 PM
    I do a fair bit of my writing on an iPad Air with either Ulysses or Scrivener. I agree that the iPad is generally best as a device without a keyboard, and I don't like the added thickness of a keyboard case. The best compromise for me has been the iPad with a smart cover and a magic keyboard in a slim, lightweight sleeve. It's easy to throw the keyboard in my bag when I want it, but I don't feel like I need to constantly remove a keyboard case for my typical iPad uses (reading, research, internet, games, etc.).

TLDR: This may be the compromise you're looking for: https://www.studioneat.com/products/canopy
    11-28-2016 09:34 AM
    That's a pretty smart solution. I might have to check that out.
    IvanKaramazov likes this.
    11-29-2016 06:57 AM
    I've already ordered one. Won't be here in time for nanowrimo (obviously), but whenever it does get here I may post some initial impressions.
    11-29-2016 08:35 AM
    I use my iPad Pro 12.9 for work, knocking out long marketing documents in Word. I just started knocking out a set of related short stories in Scrivener and am enjoying the experience quite a bit. PS..I just bought the keyboard IvanKaramazov linked as it does seem a better solution than the smart keyboard.
    01-01-2017 11:05 AM
    I use my iPad Pro 12.9 for work, knocking out long marketing documents in Word. I just started knocking out a set of related short stories in Scrivener and am enjoying the experience quite a bit. PS..I just bought the keyboard IvanKaramazov linked as it does seem a better solution than the smart keyboard.
    I've never heard of the keyboard IvanKaramazov. Can you link to it?
    01-02-2017 12:54 PM
    I've never heard of the keyboard IvanKaramazov. Can you link to it?
    IvanKaramazov is the name of the user who posted the link in this thread, not the name of the keyboard. Scroll up a few posts and you'll see the link he posted.
    muchospanish likes this.
    01-02-2017 01:02 PM
    IvanKaramazov is the name of the user who posted the link in this thread, not the name of the keyboard. Scroll up a few posts and you'll see the link he posted.
    01-02-2017 02:47 PM
    I wish there was a Scrivener version for iOS...

I'm not writing a novel, but I use Scrivener to organize and keep track of the findings of my digital forensic examinations and then use all or some of the notes I amassed during the examination to generate a report. It works really well for me, although I have to improvise from the way Scrivener is supposed to be used by those using it to write a book. What I really like about it, is that I can organize all my notes in one file, which is a great help when I'm looking back to find a particular finding I documented previously or to use as a quick way to refresh my recollection as to the findings pertaining to a particular examination.
    01-02-2017 03:07 PM
    I wish there was a Scrivener version for iOS...

I'm not writing a novel, but I use Scrivener to organize and keep track of the findings of my digital forensic examinations and then use all or some of the notes I amassed during the examination to generate a report. It works really well for me, although I have to improvise from the way Scrivener is supposed to be used by those using it to write a book. What I really like about it, is that I can organize all my notes in one file, which is a great help when I'm looking back to find a particular finding I documented previously or to use as a quick way to refresh my recollection as to the findings pertaining to a particular examination.
    There is!

Scrivener by Literature & Latte
    https://appsto.re/us/jqx95.i
    01-03-2017 06:47 AM