Purchase through Apple or Carrier (Verizon)?

SaMaster14

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
Wondering if there really is a difference. Looking to buy a 128gb cellular (Verizon) + wifi.

Our family plan has 3 ipads on the plan and they are all available for 'upgrade' meaning when I try and purchase on Verizon's website I am offered to pay full retail or sign a 2-year contract and get $250 off (829.99 total). Just wondering if there is any catch to that (must turn in old device / device deactivates after the 2 years / etc).

Also, will apple acknowledge that 'upgrade' like when purchasing an iphone from them? I've always trusted purchasing through apple over purchasing through the carrier, so if I can get the same deal, I'd do it.

Thanks for any input!

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The Apple site has a variety of financing options available including carrier options. You can pay full retail, payments to Apple, OR payments to your carrier. If anything Apple offers you more options.

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I prefer to buy directly from Apple, then just swap out the older model from my AT&T Family Share plan. Since I purchased directly from Apple, my device is unlocked (and can be used on any carrier after resale), so I don't have to submit a special request at the end of a purchase contract. I also purchase AppleCare with the purchase, so it's automatically linked with the device at purchase. You'll pay the same price, unless AT&T is running a special, but otherwise it's just more convenient purchasing directly from Apple.

It's easy enough to run the numbers with your Verizon deal and decide whether the price difference, administrative requirements, and purchase convenience represent an arrangement you're comfortable with. Divide each offered total price by 24, then compare those costs against intangible benefits of each. There are no gotchas with Apple, read the fine print with your carrier. Good luck.

CrackOne

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I purchased my iPad from Verizon and Apple Care from our local Apple Store. The staff at Apple even offered to help set up the iPad, which is unnecessary.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
I got my iPhone from the Verizon store. I don't think there would be any difference except for the carrier store not having enough inventory of the model that you want.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Anyone looking for iMacs? Bestbuy is having a sale right now! (probably over VERY soon as it was/is centered around Father's Day)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods