Is the 9.7 Pro future proof??

EBenjaminkw

May 20, 2016
Visit site
Love this device however, I'm assuming that Apple will add more complex features to IOS going forward especially for iPad. The 12.9 Pro with 4 gigs of ram & A9X is a beast I can see that lasting long term,...... With only 2 gigs of ram will the 9.7 model be as future proof?? I really wish they would've added a extra gig of ram to this model

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
No doubt it is future proof. Don't let specs fool you as the iOS version for the iPad 12.9 is optimized to run with the specs of the 12.9 only, the iOS version of the 9.7 is optimized to perform well for it, the same is true for all other apple devices. And the same goes to apps, the garage band app that you will use on the 9.7 will not be the same with the one that will run on the 12.9 though it will be the same version of garage band app.
The catch I think is to consider how long will the 9.7 be supported by Apple firmware updates, and even after Apple stop supporting it, you will still be able to use it afterward many more years.

EBenjaminkw

May 20, 2016
Visit site
I selected the 9.7 for the display which is to die for ........ This LCD screen holds its own next to a OLED in my humble opinion .....however a small part of me has did regret passing on the 12.9 and its 4 gigs of ram.......I hope that I made the correct decision in about 2 years time ... Fingers crossed

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I selected the 9.7 for the display which is to die for ........ This LCD screen holds its own next to a OLED in my humble opinion .....however a small part of me has did regret passing on the 12.9 and its 4 gigs of ram.......I hope that I made the correct decision in about 2 years time ... Fingers crossed

If the focus of your purchase was the True tone display, then you may indeed regret not getting the larger iPad Pro. Having said that, I agree with Ariel Babalao in that the device is future-proof to a degree like any other electronic device.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Processor power is fine but with every major OS update that comes in the fall, devices tend to slow down a bit. My only concern with future proof is not including 4 GB's of RAM like its big brother. Time will tell and especially once iOS 11 comes in 16 months.

EBenjaminkw

May 20, 2016
Visit site
The True Tone display did play a big role in my selection since I'm near sighted ..... I have to wear correctives for seeing anything beyond a few feet in front of me clearly ....however I don't wear correctives when using my iPad plus I turn the brightness on max ....true tone enhances my viewing experience on the iPad a great deal......... Very unfortunate Apple didn't include it on the 12.9 model

muchospanish

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Processor power is fine but with every major OS update that comes in the fall, devices tend to slow down a bit. My only concern with future proof is not including 4 GB's of RAM like its big brother. Time will tell and especially once iOS 11 comes in 16 months.

I agree. It depends how you use it, but if you use it instead of a computer like I do 95% of the time (and EBenjaminkw says he does in another post), you'll already feel some of the effects of insufficient ram. I have the Air 2 and it's fine, but some things take a couple of seconds longer than they should. Split Screen takes a few seconds to display when I pull the second app out.

In September I'll get the original iPad Pro 12.9, even though the newer when will be coming out, but since my job will be buying it, I can't complain.

EBenjaminkw

May 20, 2016
Visit site
I'm curious to see if Apple will update the 12.9 model this year to include 3D Touch which I do utilize on my 6sPlus ..... Plus the True Tone feature.....I would buy that and use it primarily for work things ....... plus keep the 9.7 for more music and media usage

rdmartin1

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
I'm hoping that iOS 10 will make the iPad Pro a serious competitor.
iOS will never be able to. They need to make osX touchscreen and go from there. Don't get me wrong you can do a lot with iOS. I use my 9.7 pro more than anything now, but for serious work such as photoshop/illustrator you need a full blown high horsepower operating system with processing power behind it to get things done.

EBenjaminkw

May 20, 2016
Visit site
What about creating a IOS/OS X type hybrid system specifically for the Pro line ..... That would propel the iPad to be a true competitor vs the surface pro

rdmartin1

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
What about creating a IOS/OS X type hybrid system specifically for the Pro line ..... That would propel the iPad to be a true competitor vs the surface pro

Possibly but keep in mind SPro runs a full blown os. It can be configured close to a MacBook Pro. I limit it to close because it doesn't have discrete graphics. Other than that it's there.

EBenjaminkw

May 20, 2016
Visit site
I wouldn't want a full blown OS X on the Pro ..... But I think pulling some OS X features that IOS lacks combing the two ....... Would strike a nice balance in the middle ..... Question is which features need to be pulled from OS X to make the Pro iPads more polished and complete ??

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't want a full blown OS X on the Pro ..... But I think pulling some OS X features that IOS lacks combing the two ....... Would strike a nice balance in the middle ..... Question is which features need to be pulled from OS X to make the Pro iPads more polished and complete ??

That is exactly what I'm hoping for....:)

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Having used a Surface Pro 3 as a daily work machine for a year, I'm so pleased now to be back with an iPad Pro 9.7 **and** MacBook pro 13". Windows 10 when used as a laptop operating system is fantastic (on the right hardware), however it's an abomination when you use as a tablet O/S. As for the hardware, my Surface Pro would turn itself off at times, not wake up 40% of the time from sleep, have problems recognising the pen and worst of all the fan noise was often so annoying that I'd use my 2011 MacBook Air for some tasks.

Other odd things were the poor way Windows supports scaling where the primary 4k monitor is paired with a 1080 external monitor, it just looked shocking with odd dialogue boxes and odd font sizing everywhere & the Keyboard Case would stop working a few times a day.

The bit that got me most annoyed was the act of opening it, instead of just lifting a lid, you need to open the keyboard case, raise the bottom of they keyboard case to "raise it" then open the kick stand and then you are ready to go, assuming the bloody thing would wake from sleep without a hard power cycle. As a fairly mobile worker, this was actually quite annoying compared to a MacBook (or other laptop). The other thing is that I found the Surface Pro to be impossible to use on my lap or any un-even surface.

But I still think that Microsoft are on-to something, they gave it a red hot go and should be commended for going in their own direction on this.

Looking at my iPad Pro and MacBook, I kinda like the two devices, gives me a very flexible mobile office with multi screen (either native apps or with AirDisplay 3) and provides me with heaps of working options as I roam about.

Dam I love finding better ways to use technology in my life, at least here I'm surrounded by folks who feel the same and don't judge.

joshrocker

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I really wrestled with this question for a long time before I finally gave in and bought my iPad Pro 9.7. If every device gets a bump to 4 gigs later this year or early next then I think the life span on this pro will be short lived. At least as a cutting edge device. I'm really hoping Apple doesn't release another 9.7 iPad this fall. It seems doubtful but it wouldn't be the first time Apple pulled that trick.