Has Your iPad Pro Replaced Your Primary Computer?

sjohnvivian

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
I'm just wondering how many of you have decided to go all in with their iPad Pro and make it their primary computer? And if you have, what challenges or compromises did you face? And what were your solutions or workarounds to solve them?

The reason I'm asking is because I realized today that since getting my iPad Pro I've not used my MacBook Pro at all. I've grown comfortable with the keyboard and it's functionality and the iPad Pro really does meet all my computing needs, with the exception of having access to movies and tv shows that I haven't purchased via iTunes. I decided to use Google Drive to upload those movies and tv shows so that I can access them on my iPad Pro. So far this is the only real concern I've faced.

I know some people do more with their computers than I do and they have need for more flexibility in their OS. I do concede that iOS does have some restrictions that have made me question whether iPad Pro could be the total laptop replacement that Apple touts it can be. But for the general uses of web browsing, entertainment, writing, spreadsheets, etc...that I use it for, it's really performing quite well. The battery life is excellent, the processing power is top notch. No issues with that. As well, I'm truly loving the True Tone display. It's a solid feature that I didn't know I needed and now wish it was available on all my iOS and OS X devices.

I don't think I'll be getting rid of my current MacBook Pro for sure, but I don't know if I'll be willing to replace it when it's time to upgrade to a new computer. I think I may just keep in cycle with the iPad Pro upgrades instead.

Anyway, just wondering what others think about it.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
My wife and I have a big Pro and in no way has this been able to replace our MacBook Pro. I won't get into challenges as the list is too long but it's not anywhere in the same league as my MBP and no where close to replacing it.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My iPad Pro is indeed my "primary" source of computing since I bought it specifically to replace my old MacBook. Thus far, it's working out quite well.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Nope. I'm enjoying my pro and use it more than my MBP but it can't replace it. There's no way I can remote into work and work on my iPad Pro all day. Just not as efficient. I also won't get into other gaps but it doesn't quite cut it for me yet. For data consumption, it is my primary device.

rdmartin1

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
My "daily driver" was a Surface Pro 3 with an iPad 2 that I mainly used to watch tv and a Windows 7 desktop that was probably powered on twice last year, since getting my 9.7 pro the Surface Pro 3 has only come on for Adobe CC tasks that the iPad can't handle.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Yes in a way. I still use my desktop computer to pay bills so I can print out receipts. Also use desktop for a DOS operating system check account programme.

Email is always checked using iPad PRO

Frost Forged

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Yes it has. The only thing I can't do is some large bulk tasks with moving around files on OneDrive (work) or Box (personal).

iOS is the first real operating system of my life that I was there for from the start. Because I've seen how far it's come and I've grown along with it, I just straight up prefer to use it. Am I as efficient as I am with a Mac or PC for every single task? No. I'm not. But I the tasks I do with iPad Pro are more enjoyable for me than they are with a "real computer".

The thing I just do not understand is why some Mac owners and iPad users feel you need to pick a side. If you are an iOS developer, the iPad is a terrible computer because you can't use X-Code. For someone like my mom who spends her computing time on Facebook, email, looking at pictures of her grand kids, paying bills and playing the occasional game, the iPad is perfect. She travels a lot, a 4K iMac would be a horrible device for her.

Last edited:

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
It hasn't for me. There are certain things I prefer my MacBook for. But full disclosure I didn't buy it to replace anything. I like having both. Truth be told I also have ab iMac that I prefer over both at times.

Wayner83

Sep 20, 2014
Visit site
I sold my maxed out 2012 Mac Mini to get the iPad Pro 12.9". For the most part it is a great replacement. The only thing I have to use my old MacBook for is as a torrent machine and to run my Plex server. But GoPro 4K video editing, image manipulation (Photoshopping), drawing, email, presentations, paying bills, web browsing, and photo storage/organization it is all iPad now.

stiffeon

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
No, it hasn't. I do use it everyday because it's easier than whipping out my MBP but honestly I feel Apple has just lost it. I have the iPhone, MBP, and now the 9.7 Pro with Smart Keyboard and Pencil but it's just not a full laptop replacement. What they should/need to do in my opinion is develop a hybrid OS between OS X and iOS because iOS isn't enough and OS X is maybe too much. I had to buy a $70 serial cord to console into Cisco switches when I could do it on my MBP with a serial to usb cionnection. Things like that and file management are main things that I personally feel the iPad Pro should have or just drop the "Pro" title because it doesn't deserve to have it. The Surface Pro is more of laptop replacement than iPad Pro if you goal is a tablet that replaces a laptop. However, I am already $1,100 invested in this and I own everything else Apple so it integrates nicely into my environment but parts of me regret my decision as a professional because Apple fell short for us in my opinion.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
No, it hasn't. I do use it everyday because it's easier than whipping out my MBP but honestly I feel Apple has just lost it. I have the iPhone, MBP, and now the 9.7 Pro with Smart Keyboard and Pencil but it's just not a full laptop replacement. What they should/need to do in my opinion is develop a hybrid OS between OS X and iOS because iOS isn't enough and OS X is maybe too much. I had to buy a $70 serial cord to console into Cisco switches when I could do it on my MBP with a serial to usb cionnection. Things like that and file management are main things that I personally feel the iPad Pro should have or just drop the "Pro" title because it doesn't deserve to have it. The Surface Pro is more of laptop replacement than iPad Pro if you goal is a tablet that replaces a laptop. However, I am already $1,100 invested in this and I own everything else Apple so it integrates nicely into my environment but parts of me regret my decision as a professional because Apple fell short for us in my opinion.

Well-stated....:)

MarkY3130

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
I use my computer at home far less because the iPad is so convenient. I use it as a consumer device, but it is not up to the task of real work. There are far too many limitations of an iPad to go into it in depth.

anon(62000)

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
It hasn't replaced my computer so much, but it did replace my iPad Air and Surface Pro (ok, so it replaced A computer....lol). Email, web browsing, (anti) social media, basic photo editing and managing my blog are all done on the iPad along with basic song sketches. The heavier lifting of music creation, recording and editing are left are done on my Mac.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
II even have a Acer touch screen all in one computer on the coffee table right in front of me. Well as Marky3130 wrote much more convenient. I like the Acer because I use the computer to back up my devices.

Furt

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I really thought my iPad Pro could replace my PC completely and for the most part, it did. I don't have any specialized software that I need to use or any crazy computing that would would require a full size desktop or laptop. The one thing that made me turn back on my PC though was job applications. Since I got laid off last week, I've had to start doing online applications and those sites are so poorly optimized for a tablet browser that I couldn't deal with it anymore and just use Windows Remote Desktop to use my PC from my iPad while I'm out and about trying to find work.

anon(4757114)

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
My iPad Pro 9.7 is now my official work computer. The only thing I needed was a decent keyboard which turned out to be the Apple Smart Keyboard for the iPad Pro 12.9. The larger keyboard just works better for me with the portability of the smaller iPad Pro. The keyboard doesn't travel any where just sits on my desk at work.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My iPad Pro 9.7 is now my official work computer. The only thing I needed was a decent keyboard which turned out to be the Apple Smart Keyboard for the iPad Pro 12.9. The larger keyboard just works better for me with the portability of the smaller iPad Pro. The keyboard doesn't travel any where just sits on my desk at work.

Wait...Are you confirming that the Apple Smart Keyboard fitted for the 12.9" iPad Pro actually works with the 9.7" iPad Pro?

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I have gone quite the opposite lol. Had an iPad as a daily driver for majority of my computing needs that wasn't a game but have since sold it to get a Macbook Pro. Probably get an iPad Pro (9.7) when it's on sale and use it as a media device mostly

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I've had my iPad 2 since launch and use it daily. I'll be getting my Pro this afternoon so I'm curious to see if I use it more than the ipad I have now.

Will it replace my primary computer? As a primary device, possibly. As a gamer, never.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox