Has Your iPad Pro Replaced Your Primary Computer?

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
When I got my Air 2, I started using my old MacBook Air less and less. Now with the baby Pro and the pencil, I have permanently retired the MBA and my iPad is my only computer aside from my phone. I am either busy remodeling 2 homes or out volunteering for the park service and always in the field doing trail reports, I never deal with a laptop anymore.

I use a wide range of the staggering amount of features and apps to update maps, show trail conditions, wildlife, various ecological studies, share and edit files, create docs, you name it and not once have I wished I had access to a laptop.

And the 256 GB storage is really nice: I have to hoard tons of stuff for each report or study, I don't have to worry about space.
I have zero complaints about the battery life, though I do carry an extra battery pack on long trips.

... Did I mention the pencil ✏️ ?

clickfiend

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site
My iPad Pro 9.7 (+ Logitech Create keyboard case and Apple Pencil) has not replaced my Mac Pro or my MacBook Air. What it has done is become the go to device for my digital life. It kind of flipped the paradigm. I keep hearing folks ask if this is a computer replacement. Well first we gotta answer the question, "What is a computer?" And by all accounts, all of these devices fit the bill. So then we gotta ask, "Has anything been replaced or removed?" And the answer to that is, "No". I still have all of them and I use them for stuff that they do well. What has changed is that the device that best addresses my current need most of the time is my iPad. And the list of things that I need one of the other devices for grows smaller every day. The flip is this. I used to use my iPad as a handy mobile device that could do a small subset of what my digital life called for. Now it is a handy mobile device that does most of those things, most of the time, in more places, in a more handy manner. As a result, the other devices have become handy somewhat stationary beasts that I use for a limited set of activities as the need arises and with lessening frequency. They have become accessories... to my iPad. So no, not replaced. But definitely superceded and supplanted.

roystreet

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
+1 clickfiend
Excellent way of describing the current process for me! I agree 100% - Except I use a Surface Pro 3, which is very powerful, but I don't need all of that horsepower most of the time. I'm tempted to buy my first Mac, but I wouldn't really use it much and they aren't cheap.

musikHersteller

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
No, it hasn't. I do use it everyday because it's easier than whipping out my MBP but honestly I feel Apple has just lost it. I have the iPhone, MBP, and now the 9.7 Pro with Smart Keyboard and Pencil but it's just not a full laptop replacement. What they should/need to do in my opinion is develop a hybrid OS between OS X and iOS because iOS isn't enough and OS X is maybe too much. I had to buy a $70 serial cord to console into Cisco switches when I could do it on my MBP with a serial to usb cionnection. Things like that and file management are main things that I personally feel the iPad Pro should have or just drop the "Pro" title because it doesn't deserve to have it. The Surface Pro is more of laptop replacement than iPad Pro if you goal is a tablet that replaces a laptop. However, I am already $1,100 invested in this and I own everything else Apple so it integrates nicely into my environment but parts of me regret my decision as a professional because Apple fell short for us in my opinion.

Gotta say, there are some things I agree with here. Sure would be nice to use a mouse with my iPad Pro. But I believe that's all coming. Apple has a knack for improving upon what others do okay with.

Example, Surface Pro. Great portable laptop, not so good tablet IMHO, because there's no consumer app support. I used to be mostly-in with Microsoft and this was one of the main reasons I partly left.

Apple isn't perfect, but neither are the others. Regret isn't a fun feeling with buying new things, hope you can enjoy what you got, or sell them for a decent amount when you're ready, be it sooner or later.

Baltiervaan

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
Yes in a way. I still use my desktop computer to pay bills so I can print out receipts. Also use desktop for a DOS operating system check account programme.

Email is always checked using iPad PRO

i agree. desktop and laptop is still the guy for everything *if portability isn't an issue to you. the powerful processor is actually worth to consider hardcore users. as for the ipad pro, i really like how you can turn ipad pro as sketch pad with the apple pencil.

but i still prefer laptops and desktop.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
So it's been several months now that I've had my baby pro and nope, nope, nope, i still don't miss my MacBook, lol. I do everything on my iPad or my phone, I do not feel limited in the slightest. *iz happy*

JSSmith83

Dec 22, 2014
Visit site
for most everyday stuff like surfing the internet, I use my iPad Pro. I was excited to use my iPad to help me on my nanowrimo attempt this month, but the times I've used it to write makes me miss typing on my MacBook Pro. So now, I'm using my MacBook more. I'm even thinking about getting rid of the iPad Pro and MacBook Pro and getting the Macbook if they update it enough in 2017

muchospanish

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I will be making the leap on Monday :cant-watch: I have a work-issued MacBook Air, but someone else really needs it, so I'm giving it to her. That will leave me alone with my iPad Air 2. It's a little scary because I do need to use a computer sometimes, but I can use one of the secretaires' when they go to lunch :concern:

If I can get myself an iPad Pro 9.7 at Target on Thanksgiving night ($150 off), I'll upgrade. I want the Pencil.

roystreet

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
The iPad Pro is a great device...Plenty of power & the battery life is wonderful. I'm still impressed with it!!
Don't get it without the pencil!! --- It is a wonderful experience having the pencil. I use the pencil a good portion of the times that I use the iPad. But without the pencil, you're missing out on one of the greatest abilities that it has.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I've had the 9.7" pro since day one. I bought the pencil too and than returned it. Bought it again a couple months later and mostly it sits in the box in a drawer. I don't use it hardly at all.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I will be making the leap on Monday :cant-watch: I have a work-issued MacBook Air, but someone else really needs it, so I'm giving it to her. That will leave me alone with my iPad Air 2. It's a little scary because I do need to use a computer sometimes, but I can use one of the secretaires' when they go to lunch :concern:

If I can get myself an iPad Pro 9.7 at Target on Thanksgiving night ($150 off), I'll upgrade. I want the Pencil.

Do EEEEET!!!!!
Seriously the baby pro will knock your socks off, that baby is a turbo powered flying carpet, for real.

With the pencil, I take notes, I edit files, I draw on maps to plan hikes, I send hand written notes, I make memes for my kids to annoy them, the possibilities are endless. And it's really fun to use.

ROSES5682

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
My iPad is my on the go computer. I use it as my primary device when I need to get work done while away from home or as my at home media device. Other than these two situations I still prefer my laptop.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Reading. This is all about iPad Pro for me. Reading and taking notes about my reads. And I read really all the time. So my iPad is fundamental to me. But, for writing... I still prefer my MacBook 2015.

Cheers,

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Then when I give the 9.7" Pro to my kids and buy a bigger one than I'll have a to buy another one for them. My wife says I think I'm made of money by the way I spend, I guess everyone else thinks so too. Boy am I in trouble at the house! . LOL

Last edited:

kaymc

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
No, my baby pro has not replace my primary computer (2015 iMac) but it has replaced my old iPad 3.

Truth is, I still use it mostly to play Hearts Multiplayer in bed before I drift off to sleep.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Mostly my game playing has been on my 7 plus. Probably because it's with me all the time. The 9.7" Pro gets some use and the 15" rMBP not that much.

NinerJet9

May 16, 2013
Visit site
To those that have replaced their desktops or notebooks with an iPad Pro, did you use iTunes prior? I'm looking to do the same but how how do you transfer CDs (yes I'm old school) to iTunes if you're using an iPad Pro? How about backing up your phone or or doing a fresh OS install w your iPhone? I don't particularly like using the cloud for all my data and I prefer to use iTunes to OS updates. Aside from that I think I could move to solely to an iPad Pro.