True Tone?

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
How are you all liking the True Tone display? I've recently received the 9.7 iPad Pro and I'm comparing and contrasting with my 12.9 Pro and I'm not sure I'm enjoying the display. I know it can be disabled but I'm wondering if it grows on you over time?

What have your experiences been? Enjoying the display or not so much?

mfldmike

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
The display is simply amazing...my eyes do not feel strained at all. The natural colors are viewed great at any angle!

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
@Quis89 for me, just as long as I don't have any other devices near, True Tone is a big step forward in using the device in varied conditions. I've only had issues where I have other devices near by (MacBook or iPad Air) that don't have True Tone, this leads to a visual disconnect, it's actually quite weird, perhaps it is this issue that you are finding.

Using the iPad Pro 9.7" to read at night time, without other screens around, is a far more pleasant experience, no question at all.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
@Quis89 for me, just as long as I don't have any other devices near, True Tone is a big step forward in using the device in varied conditions. I've only had issues where I have other devices near by (MacBook or iPad Air) that don't have True Tone, this leads to a visual disconnect, it's actually quite weird, perhaps it is this issue that you are finding.

Using the iPad Pro 9.7" to read at night time, without other screens around, is a far more pleasant experience, no question at all.

I think that is exactly what is going on. I didn't even think about that. I have grown in the habit of using Night Mode on my devices before bed. It makes sense that it's just the inconsistency that is bothering me more than anything.

Thanks.

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
True Tone is growing on me daily, as is Night Shift. I just needed to go into settings and move the color temperature slider all the way to the left to tone down the default orange tint. After that, I've grown quite used to it, so much so that switching briefly over to another iOS device is actually now a bit jarring.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
As already been stated, the display on the 9.7" iPad Pro is amazing, whether indoors or outdoors, in my opinion. I'm very pleased with the True Tone display.

Dave Marsh

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I also took my iPad Pro 9.7" out into the bright sunlight and found I could actually read it, so yes, this is an amazing display.

HighTechToid

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Playing around with this feature a bit on a work provided iPad Pro i can say that i must have originally misunderstood what True Tone actually does. I thought that if would adjust the iPad screen colors to March the ambience (in color) of the room. For example, being in a red room with a piece of paper tends to look more like soft pink.

In actual use, True Tone only adjusts the blue or yellow light (no other colors).

When I realized that, I also realized that you can get that same feature on any iPad that supports Night Shift, because True Tone really appears to just be an Auto Night Shift.

I did some research to see if anyone else felt the same and came across http://www.macworld.com/article/3055407/ios/how-to-make-night-shift-act-more-like-true-tone.html

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
True Tone for me is one of my favorite features of the 9.7" iPad Pro. I disagree, I don't believe that True Tone and Night Shift are the same technology. The beauty about True Tone is that I don't realize it is on unless I have it next to my macbook pro or iPhone. When Night Shift is on my iPhone I can tell that it is enabled. Don't get me wrong, Night Shift is nice but its not as seamless in my opinion as True Tone. This feature is so underrated! If the next iPhone does not have this feature in it I will be very disappointed. Go to the apple store and look at the baby pro next to the 12.9" pro...tell me which screen looks better. Its a no brainer for me.

FrankoCDN

Sep 19, 2015
Visit site
You won't notice from the get go but after, say a week, you'll notice a more comfy reading experience. You then put it beside a previous generation iPad and you'll ask how the heck you've gone without all this time :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR