Leather Smart Cases Discontinued?

Vapor86

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
I noticed they never made one for the larger iPad Pro so I don't have high hopes for the 9.7" iPad Pro. I personally don't like the silicone material compared to the leather cases. It seems the only options are the silicone case with either the keyboard or a silicone case and with a silicone cover.

Right now I have my iPad Air 2 leather case and it still fits, just doesn't have the little holes for all of the speakers on the top, but I don't have it noticable.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Starting from the iPad mini 4 Apple seems to have abandoned the idea of selling Smart Case to the (more profitable) dual elements solution (Smart Cover + rear case).
I really miss the Smart Cover I had on my iPads until iPad Air....

Vapor86

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
I used the old leather ipad case but I think I will just upgrade to the dual element solution. I personally find the silicone to come off as "cheap" when compared to the leather case, but Apple usually knows what is best.

mvpilot172

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
My past experience with the silicone material is not good. My iPad (4th Gen) smart case only lasted a little over a year before splitting apart. My Product Red silicone iPhone 6 case was replaced twice in an Apple Store, the back bubbled up after a month on one and a corner peeled apart after another month on another. I really like the fit of these cases, no one else makes a more precisely cut case however the material used is subpar and not worth the cost.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree- while I don't like paying more I think the silicone backs are far more durable and shock resistant than the leather was. Also has a great feel to it. Makes the iPad far less slippery.

MaxSmarties

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I have to agree- while I don't like paying more I think the silicone backs are far more durable and shock resistant than the leather was. Also has a great feel to it. Makes the iPad far less slippery.
Yep. The Apple tax is included, as usual. Here in Italy average street price for a non-leather good quality case is 25-28€, and the Apple silicone case is 35€.
But being an apple customer since 1989 I'm somewhat accustomed to that ;)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods