First impressions of 9.7" iPad Pro Smart Keyboard Cover

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
After a week of hunting around for one (like the world in general, they are hard to come by in Australia), I noticed that Apple Store in Fountain Gate had them. Web order submitted, I drove down (a long way) to grab it, and threw in a pencil also.

First impressions after using for most of the day, it is far far better than I expected. Until now I was using a Apple Smart Keyboard, that wasn't always the best experience, specifically wobbled a bit when half propped up on my Logitech Hinge case and also was actually noisier than I wanted during meetings. It also took up far too much room in my bag.

After about 10 seconds of oddness, my brain snapped into gear and off I went typing at full speed, and actually faster than the Apple Bluetooth keyboard I've been using. The iPad is secure in the upright position, and it can even be used as a stand when lying down (I often read stuff in bed, so this is key). Further, a second screen orientation is possible, slightly more upright for watching content, the magnets will automatically find this position when you try.

So far I love it, and was prepared to be taking it back in the next few days.

My only gripe is the price, given it doesn't have bluetooth, nor batteries, it should be quite a simple device, and for the Au$220+ I'm not sure I see enough value, maybe if they had have included a back cover?

I'm far more productive than I thought, between the keyboard and always on Siri, along with split screen (I'm coming from a iPad Air original, that that bit is new). My MacBook Pro battery went flat after my first meeting, so it was a great day to have my new keyboard to hand.

As for the Apple Pencil, I've not taken it out of the wrapper yet, it was an impulse decision, and I'm just not a artistic type, I doodle quite a bit and also have to draw diagrams often for my job, so will see how the next few days go.

Hobdell85

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
First impressions of 9.7" iPad Pro Smart Keyboard Cover

I had an iPad Air 2 and have upgraded to the Pro 9.7 for both the keyboard and Pencil as I wasn't to keen on carrying around the Pro 12.9 in my job as a Project Manager.

My iPad Pro, pencil and keyboard delivery were delayed for approx. 5 days as I selected delivery in one consignment and the keyboard wasn't available for dispatch in the UK, according to Apple!!

After reading many reviews about the keyboard the impression I was getting was that the 9.7 keyboard wasn't the best as the size had a impact on typing for long periods, I disagree completely.
It does take a while to get used to but after a few sentences you get in the flow and are speed typing with very few mistakes.

I have never had a keyboard for my iPads as there isn't one I have seen that I like and the fact it was something else to charge and connected to Bluetooth put me off.

The Apple Keyboard is nice to type on with clicking feedback when typing which makes it feel 'proper'.

I like the tabbing option for access other apps which will save time when multitasking and not using split screen.

The only thing that I don't like about the keyboard is the cover hump as shown on the photos, but this is just my dislike.

ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1459931041.201010.jpg
ImageUploadedByiMore Forums1459931066.635512.jpg

With regards to the Apple Pencil, I will use this in my profession marking drawings, compiling simple sketches and making notes during meetings. I would also like to learn to be more creative on the iPad.

maflynn

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
As for the Apple Pencil, I've not taken it out of the wrapper yet, it was an impulse decision, and I'm just not a artistic type, I doodle quite a bit and also have to draw diagrams often for my job, so will see how the next few days go.
If I were to get an iPad Pro, my kids would demand that I get the Pencil, but I'm with you, I have no artistic ability :D

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I have no artistic ability yet the pencil was the first thing I bought. My keyboard is coming today. Very excited. Here is my artwork lol
7624e118a68cd8b957e9adabac177149.jpg

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
As much as I liked the Logitech keyboard I used with my iPad 4, the new Apple keyboard is even better. It took a while to get used to the soft "splort" (Engadget's term) of the keys, but now I find I type pretty well with it. And of course I LOVE not having to turn it on/off and worry about when it needs to be charged. I'm thinking the iPad's smart connector may turn out to be THE feature I most appreciate. One last thing, I also love that the keyboard acts just like the screen keyboard, meaning auto-correct, auto-period, auto-cap, etc. all work, which wasn't the case with the Logitech it replaced.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
If that's your artwork, you need to correct your statement because you indeed have artistic ability. You should see what I can create with my Apple pencil - no THAT'S no artistic ability. :laughing:

I won't take credit. I just had to color it in

avt123

Aug 8, 2008
Visit site
I have the iPad Pro 9.7 with the Apple Smart Keyboard and Apple Silicone Case and I love it. The keyboard is much better than I expected. I have no problems typing with it. It took 10 minutes or so to get use to and since then it has been a great experience.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I am using mine now- it is very nice. Felt weird at first. I am getting used to it. Doesn't add much bulk- I think I am going to return my Smart Cover. I feel that it will go to waste at this point.

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Anyone else had the issue when going back to a MacBook, they reaching out to touch the screen? I did this when I first got my iPad (original), stopped shortly after, and now with the keyboard cover the issue is back!

Vapor86

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
1.) Are you planning on getting a case for the back // Can a case be attached in addition to the keyboard?

2.) If you are not an artist, is there a real need for the pencil? I feel like I would mess around with it a few times but wouldn't get much use out of it.

3.) Do you right a lot of emails on your ipad? I'm tempted to get the case/keyboard, but trying to determine if its worth it. I could see myself using it here and there like when I go away for long weekends or trips and don't have a laptop but I use my ipad at home 90% of the time so I usually just pull out my laptop if I need to type something.

tcuprof

Trusted Member
Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
1.) Are you planning on getting a case for the back // Can a case be attached in addition to the keyboard?

2.) If you are not an artist, is there a real need for the pencil? I feel like I would mess around with it a few times but wouldn't get much use out of it.

3.) Do you right a lot of emails on your ipad? I'm tempted to get the case/keyboard, but trying to determine if its worth it. I could see myself using it here and there like when I go away for long weekends or trips and don't have a laptop but I use my ipad at home 90% of the time so I usually just pull out my laptop if I need to type something.

1) Nope. Going naked just like I did with my iPad 4. I'll accumulate some light scratches of course, but that doesn't bother me.
2) You're probably right. I bought one purely on impulse. I read a lot of research and student papers using iAnnotate and the pencil is nice for highlighting. At this point. that's my lame justification. :rolleyes:
3) Yes, especially when I'm travelling.

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm finding that I'm typing far more than I thought I would on the Smart Keyboard Cover, with the addition of Airmail on my iPad, this makes me want to use it for email triage and simple responses.

I unwrapped the pencil, decided to give it a go with a few note taking apps, my daughter (4YO) grabbed it off me and proceeded to enjoy some colouring in Apple Notes. So still on the fence, but I can see for PDF annotation and occasional diagrams it might have a valid use. But the other issue of having my iPad overtaken by my daugher, works against it. For the moment, it stays in my bag.

1blodg

May 17, 2016
Visit site
I enjoy the Smart Keyboard with my iPad. But 1/2 dozen times in the month I've had it, suddenly the keys stop responding. I'll remove the keyboard, clean contacts, reattach, doesn't work. I have to power down and restart. It is good again for days. Anybody have this issue? Couldn it be a board malfunction? If nobody else has this issue I'll exchange for a new board. If possible because they're in short supply at the moment. It was one of my main reasons for buying the new Pro.

OZsMac

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I've not seen that kind of issue, from time to time I do need to disconnect the keyboard, but that's about the extent of it.

1blodg

May 17, 2016
Visit site
I continue to have the keyboard stop responding suddenly. Undock, clean contacts, redock, nothing. Power down and it reconnects. Is good for awhile. I exchanged the keyboard for a new one. Same issue. If no one else is having this problem I suspect it is the iPad. I purchased it new online, so I'll have to ship it back for exchange or refund. Or get involved with apple for warranty repair. It occurred twice tonight within a few minutes, so I'm getting frustrated.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711