E-Sim/Apple Sim and AT&T Locked

mfldmike

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
I purchased a 128GB iPad Pro 9.7 WiFi + Cellular from Best Buy...I purchased it as a full device...not under any contract under any carrier.

So here's the question...

I know the Apple SIM has been locked in the past when choosing AT&T when using the data option for the Air 2 and Mini 3. So, it means that even though the device had the Apple SIM and the device was UNLOCKED, once you activated data with AT&T, they locked the SIM to AT&T while the device remained unlocked.

Now having an E-SIM, has anyone activated data on AT&T and a different carrier on their device without AT&T locking down the internal SIM??? Are you able to Activate service with T-Mobile, Sprint, & GigSky?

With previous versions you could replace the SIM card with another carrier's (and you can still do that) but it would mean the internal E-SIM would be worthless.

My point is I'd like to have the option to activate data on another carrier domestically if I know a different one has better service than the other.

Image1459717890.122332.jpg

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Are you using the term E-SIM to refer to Apple's embedded SIM? If so, an iMore article suspects the embedded SIM is to "subvert carriers trying to lock down the Apple SIM and make switching easier."

Source: http://www.imore.com/which-ipad-carrier-and-plan-should-you-get

Having said that, I went to a nearby Verizon store a couple of hours ago and purchased a pre-paid SIM for my 9.7" iPad Pro. The iPad Pro SIM slot did not contain a SIM and I'm in support of Serenity's suspicion regarding the embedded SIM. Anyway, I don't think you'll have a problem activating data from different carrier domestically.

mfldmike

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Yes I'm referring to the embedded SIM. In the past Apple used regular "Apple" SIM's that were installed in the SIM slot, once a customer activated the SIM under AT&T it would be locked to AT&T only...you'd essentially have a Apple branded AT&T SIM. To my knowledge AT&T was the only one doing this. In the past you could just toss it out and choose your carrier...since its embedded and the SIM slot is empty and the device unlocked you could still do that but the embedded SIM would be worthless.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73