32GB Pro 9.7 or larger Air 2/Mini 4?

lobridge

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
I really want the iPad Pro 9.7 but the $599 is already stretching my budget. I am upgrading from a 32GB Mini and I was fine with that storage. I use my iPad primarily for teaching in a classroom setting, studying and Netflix at night. I have a 128GB 6+ that I use for pictures and video. I know that more is better, but I would like some opinions about the 32GB in my use case. Thanks!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
If 32GB is more than sufficient for you right now, and you will be using the iPad Pro basically in the same manner you did with the iPad Mini then it makes sense to get the 32 GB model, in my opinion. Like Phreddyl, I will be getting the 32 GB 9.7" iPad Pro. For what I will be using it for, I already know 32 GB is more than sufficient. What will be saved on the device itself will primarily be documents and the select apps I plan to use on it.

lobridge

Mar 24, 2016
Visit site
I appreciate the responses. I am leaning toward preordering tonight and then saving up for the keyboard and pencil in the coming months.

StraightlineBoy

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm juggling the same sort of dilemma. I feel that the jump to 128Gb is an expensive one. I could buy a 64Gb Air 2 (or Mini 4) but fear that while I don't think I'd use an Apple Pencil today, who knows what killer app is around the corner that might change my mind and then I'd be cursing myself.
I suppose the main thing that takes space on my Apple devices is music, with well over 20Gb on my 64Gb phone and realistically I always carry my phone with me so I don't need music on an iPad also. The only other consideration for me is that a new iPad might become my main computing device, not replacing my MacBook, but significantly delaying the date that it needs replacing.
I wonder how many people will have this problem with the price gap between the models. In the UK we're looking at 499GBP for the 32Gb Wifi and 619GBP for 128Gb. I know it would only be 20GBP difference but somehow 599 would have been easier to swallow.

mvpilot172

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I've been using a 32gb iPad (4th Gen) as my primary travel computer for work. I still have 7gb free on it so I know the new 9.7" 32gb will be good for me. Honestly when I ditched my laptop to go light I moved most of my stuff to various cloud services. I also have a 64gb 6s plus for pictures/video that gets uploaded to the cloud and I can view on the iPad. Sounds like you'll be fine and you know exactly how you'll use it.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Ok full disclosure- I changed my mind and went with the 128- I looked at my current mini usage and I have used around 16 gigs and the iOS takes up around 8. So that only leaves 8 gigs left. That seemed kind of limiting. So for the extra $150 I went with way more storage

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR