Is the iPad Pro 12.9 worth the extra $200 over the iPad Pro 9.7?

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm in the market now for an iPad. I just made the switch to the iOS ecosystem (from Android) and I can't wait until next Spring to see what's next. So my question is: is the 12.9 worth the extra $200 over the 9.7? The size doesn't bother me one bit, and the main reason I'm leaning towards it is because of the 4GB of RAM vs 2GB. This seems to be huge for future proofing. Best Buy has the 128GB iPad Pro 12.9 on sale for $799 and the 9.7 on sale for $599. Is this a good price for it?

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Is it worth it?

Just so you know these prices are for the 32gb version unless their on sale.

I looked on Best Buy's app and they are on sale for that price that you said.

Last edited:

itsnotmeitsyou

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
Re: Is it worth it?

If you want the bigger display, it's worth it. If you want portability, go with the 9.7"

This is the tricky part for me. I like both; the larger display of the 12.9 and the portability of the 9.7. However, the 2GB of RAM really turns me away from the 9.7. It only makes sense that iOS 11 and 12 will start utilizing the 4GB of RAM in the 12.9. If the 9.7 also had 4GB of RAM, I would absolutely go with it. I mostly use my tablets at home, so the size isn't a huge deciding factor for me. I'm more out for value.

I am terrible with buyers remorse, as you can probably tell. I don't want to feel like I paid too much for it later on or like I made the wrong purchase. I did this with my Tab S2. I wish I would've never bought it.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

This is the tricky part for me. I like both; the larger display of the 12.9 and the portability of the 9.7. However, the 2GB of RAM really turns me away from the 9.7. It only makes sense that iOS 11 and 12 will start utilizing the 4GB of RAM in the 12.9. If the 9.7 also had 4GB of RAM, I would absolutely go with it. I mostly use my tablets at home, so the size isn't a huge deciding factor for me. I'm more out for value.

I am terrible with buyers remorse, as you can probably tell. I don't want to feel like I paid too much for it later on or like I made the wrong purchase. I did this with my Tab S2. I wish I would've never bought it.

If that's the case, go for the 12.9.

Or you can always wait until next year's iPad :)

JohninCT2

Jan 8, 2016
Visit site

I have had a 9.7" for a while and just got a 12.9. Couldn't be happier with the 12.9 size screen. Reading magazines through Texture is better, watching movies is much better. Yes it's a little heavier, but well worth it to me.

anon(9057135)

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site

For 100$ more, I'd defiantly get it. iPad Pro is getting more software optimised for it and is has a much better time with split view than other iPads.

Lory Gil

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site

Personally, I think the 9.7-inch iPad Pro is the perfect iPad. It has all of the fantastic features of the larger Pro (plus a few extras), but maintains the portability of the traditional tablet. The fact that it runs on 2 GB of RAM instead of 4 is less of an issue than you realize. Because the screen size is smaller than the 12.9-inch iPad Pro, the processor doesn't need to work as hard, so the difference in power and speed is negligble. If you aren't in a hurry, you could always wait until the late Spring, just in case Apple does announce a new version of the iPad Pro, but don't rest your hopes on the upgrade. If you want/need the iPad now, don't wait. No matter what, something more advanced than what you have will always come out within a year. It's the way the technology industry works. Happy shopping!

Nov 26, 2016
Visit site

I had the 9.7 (BB - black friday) and traded it in for the 12.9. When I was working on something in graphic, I had to keep making it bigger, move things around a lot on the 9.7. With the 12.9 I can see everything and it is a good size to see details. I LOVE the bigger screen. It also is so much nicer to use for my walking videos! :)

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site

I financed mine with my Verizon plan I don't have the money to pay upfront for an ipad. The only way to get the discount price is to pay upfront which disappointed me but I want it so the payment plan was better for me also no interest as well

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

I financed mine with my Verizon plan I don't have the money to pay upfront for an ipad. The only way to get the discount price is to pay upfront which disappointed me but I want it so the payment plan was better for me also no interest as well

I did this as well and although I wasn't 100% for it at first, having the data plan associated with it has been great. I'm very pleased with this option now as the data has definitely come in handy.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site

I am excited to get it. On backorder. Suppose to ship march 17th. Maybe earlier. I got the Logitech create bluetooth keyboard/case

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I am writing with the logitech create keyboard on my new ipad Pro 12.9 and am loving it so far. I am glad I decided on it. Getting a great high trade in value on my Samsung Note 5 towards my iphone 7 plus helped make this ipad purchase . Its expensive but well worth it. You get what you pay for.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I think it's worth the extra cost. I was iffy at first but so glad I went with the bigger form factor vs (at the time I purchased) the Air 2. I've gotten used to the size and weight.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2