Why so hot?

edswife1970

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
I set up my new iPad Pro last night and put it on the charger for about 3 1/2 hours. I noticed that the part that plugs into the outlet was very hot. Is that normal? I unplugged it before I went to bed and I'm kind of afraid to leave it plugged in for any length of time. Help!

mrmarquis9

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I set up my new iPad Pro last night and put it on the charger for about 3 1/2 hours. I noticed that the part that plugs into the outlet was very hot. Is that normal? I unplugged it before I went to bed and I'm kind of afraid to leave it plugged in for any length of time. Help!

That is very normal. The iPad is drawing a ton of power once it reaches 95% the current will lower and the outlet will cool down significantly. Nothing to be concerned about :)

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
Are you using the charger that came with it or did you buy the other one? I don't have the 12.9" one myself, I have the 9.7" one. Others on this forum have methioned getting the 29w MacBook charger and the USB C to lightning cable. This might help or you could take it to a Apple Store.

If this is new I would think that the battery is too low and it's taking a long time to charge, that might be why it's getting hot.

Last edited:

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
My 15" rMBP charger used to get really hot so I went to the Apple Store and they gave me a new one. This was after having it for about 2 years.

edswife1970

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your replies. When I charged it it went from about 20% to 72% in about 3 1/2 hours. At that point I unplugged it, So it never got to 100%. I'll keep an eye on it and if it continues to get so hot, I'll take it to Apple.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2