Using a 12.9" Pro on airlines and other public transit

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
I'd like to upgrade to a 12.9" Pro, and one of the best things about my current iPad (an Air 2) is how useful it is when travelling. If I'm going to be away for more than a day, I'll often load a few movies and books to keep me entertained. I can also use it for offline maps and itineraries, and of course more if there's a Wi-Fi connection available.

I've heard some rumblings though that the 12.9" Pro is unwieldy on aircraft tray tables in coach, and presumably on some other methods of getting around. Is that true? As much as I'd like the extra screen space, smaller would be better in this sense.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a 12.9" iPad Pro, but hopefully, those who do will reply soon. Having said that, it is a large iPad in comparison to the 9.7" iPad Pro & the iPad Air models. If your current iPad Air 2 model is sufficient for your travel needs, consider upgrading to the 9.7" iPad Pro model.

JimMLINY

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Using a 12.9" Pro on airlines and other public transit

Use my 12.9 on Amtrak from NYC up and down Northeast Corridor without issue. Yet to fly with it. Will do so without a thought when time comes.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
The size isn't an issue. I've brought it to lectures, airplanes, and trains with no issue. It is a huge tablet, you'll get used to the size overtime. I do kiss the size, weight and portability of the 9.7" from time to time

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
Anyone have recommendations on a case with a sturdy support for viewing/typing? I don't really need an (attached) keyboard, and I prefer rugged cases, if that helps.

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
I think I would like something more rugged - I'm not clumsy, but my current iPad is in a Griffin Survivor simply because it faces bumps and water exposure on a regular basis.

Evilguppy

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I don't have the 12.9, I have the baby pro 9.7, but I used to have the Samsung Note Pro 12.9 and at the time I was traveling a lot.
For me, it was just too much tablet.
I'm 5'5 and barely reaching 130 lbs, and a 12 inch tablet makes me feel like I'm carrying a door.
Today I can take my baby pro anywhere without feeling overwhelmed.

tech_fan

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I use my 12.9 on the airplane whenever I travel. I have no problems. It's still my preferred device to travel with. Love the big screen and display when I travel compared to my mini. Since I got my 12.9 about 11 months ago by mini just sits and is never used.

mrmarquis9

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I think I would like something more rugged - I'm not clumsy, but my current iPad is in a Griffin Survivor simply because it faces bumps and water exposure on a regular basis.

I have to agree the griffin case is amazing! It holds the Apple Pencil, supports the Apple Pencil, has a built in screen protector, and features a kickstand. I think a case is always necessary because any damage to the iPad Pro results in a $600 repair cost from Apple :(

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73