iPad Pro for photographers.

maflynn

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
I was kicking around the idea of using the iPad Pro for my mobile machine instead of my Surface Pro 3, but to be honest, I'm not sure about what tools are available and/or how well it would work on RAW files. I'm no pro, just a hobbyist but I do use Lightroom on my iMac and I typically load them on my mobile machine for a quick culling and editting, and then load them on my iMac.

maflynn

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
I did a bit more research with the lack of native RAW support is a show stopper for me. I guess any edits are done on the generated preview - depending on the app being used.

As I thought about it, I'm not seeing this fitting in my actual workflow as I dwell on the details of how this would be used.

Powerplaygraphix

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
For photo editing, as much as I hate to say it, stick with the SP3. None of the iOS apps come close to being as powerful as photoshop and they are much clumsier. I've tried most of them and I've got 20 years experience using Photoshop and almost every other photo editing app out there and all the ones for iOS just don't come close. Another reason I wish the iPad Pro had been a Mac OS machine not an iOS machine. I love my iPad pro for artwork but for doing anything serious in Photography, it's not ready for that yet.

maflynn

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
For photo editing, as much as I hate to say it, stick with the SP3.
That's been my conclusion I've come too as well. The computer is not that old, but I was kicking around the idea of replacing it, if the IPP could do what I wanted to do. I'm a big proponent of picking the right tool for the job, regardless of the logo on the back, and it seems the IPP is not a good solution for my specific needs.

kilofoxtrot

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I was kicking around the idea of using the iPad Pro for my mobile machine instead of my Surface Pro 3, but to be honest, I'm not sure about what tools are available and/or how well it would work on RAW files. I'm no pro, just a hobbyist but I do use Lightroom on my iMac and I typically load them on my mobile machine for a quick culling and editting, and then load them on my iMac.

You might want to take a look at Syncomatc and LrMobile. Even with USB3, my D810 files took a long time to load on the Pro. That's where Syncomatic comes in. If you shoot RAW+jpg with a dual slot camera, you're in business. On my D810 I shoot a small jpg to the sd slot. RAW to the CF slot.

Import the jpg files into Lr mobile and edit.

Here is where Syncomatic comes in.....

"After getting back to a real computer, import the raw files into Lightroom as normal, and Lr Mobile would automatically bring in the JPEGs which were processed on the road."

"Syncomatic 2.0’s new capture time option allows you to use the capture time to sync metadata and adjustments from JPEGs imported directly into Lr Mobile, and copy the work to the corresponding raw files."

Syncomatic.png

Its important to note that crop adjustments will not sync. But for culling, flagging, rating and other basic editing it works.

Here is a link to the article that explains Syncomatic in depth. Syncomatic and LrMobile ? Lightroom Solutions

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods