Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    552 Global Posts

Default Pro Owners: Would you still have purchased 12.7" Pro if there was also a 9.7" model?

As the title says, curious if those who own an iPad Pro would have still purchased the 12.9" model if a 9.7" model were also on the market and available?

Speaking for myself, I would have still bought the 12.9" Pro because I love the screen real estate when editing photographs and watching media.

I ask this with the rumours of 9.7" model being introduced next month.

Default Re: Pro Owners: Would you still have purchased 12.7" Pro if there was also a 9.7" model?

Honestly, I prob would've gone for the smaller one first. Possibly swapped it out after though.
    BobR1908 likes this.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

Default Re: Pro Owners: Would you still have purchased 12.7" Pro if there was also a 9.7" model?

Yes. the size is half the reason, or most of the reason, specs being the other.
    BobR1908 likes this.

I don't have a Pro but this is similar to swapping out a 6/6s Plus for the smaller model. There's usually a reason people go for the larger size, and obviously Apple felt that there was a market for a larger iPad. There are probably a few that wanted the internals of the Pro and went with the larger size because it was all that was offered but I think most like the larger size.
    BobR1908 and Just_Me_D like this.
    iMore Newbie

Yes. 12.9" is the perfect size for use with the Apple Pencil. It matches the size of the 9"x12" sketchbooks I've used. Also watching movies/videos is much nicer on the larger screen. The older iPads look small to me now. No way I could go back.
    BobR1908 likes this.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    253 Global Posts

I would still get the 12.9 because it's much easier on my eyes. The 9.7 seems small when I look at it now.
    BobR1908 likes this.
    iMore Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by Powerplaygraphix View Post
    I would still get the 12.9 because it's much easier on my eyes. The 9.7 seems small when I look at it now.
    Snap..... Having used and owned several iPads I always used to think the iPad mini was small. Now, whilst using my iPad Pro I look at my Air 2 and think "how did I manage"?
    BobR1908, onix7cv and taeisme like this.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    389 Global Posts

Yes. The current 12.1 is great to use with Pencil to draw and sketch and even use the Duet Display app to use it as my second screen to my Mac. This would be hard and frustrating with a smaller one.
    BobR1908 likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    5,069 Global Posts

If you're using Duet at all with drawing apps (Photoshop especially) you should check out Astropad. Great software that (in my experience, at least) far outpaced Duet.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    253 Global Posts

Downfall to Astropad is that it only mirrors and doesn't extend the desktop. This cause a problem with if you don't have a Retina display because it up-rez's the mirrored screen and becomes extremely pixelated where Duet actually uses the native resolution of the iPad and extends to it. It can't be wireless but it works very well. Astropad, on my 2011 Macbook Pro non-retina, is miserable.

I probably would have still gotten the 12.9" pro, the screen is just so beautiful.
    BobR1908 likes this.
    iMore Nanite

Yes, I would have still purchased the large iPad pro version. I use the split screen a lot with large excel spreadsheets and other office documents and the larger screen makes this actually useful.
    Even consuming media like web sites, movies and ebooks is so much better. Drawing on the larger screen with apple pencil is better than any other stylus and touch screen product I have ever used.
    iMore Elite

No. Have a 9.7 inch iPad 4. So to me there would not be enough difference to pay that much monies. Well....for the same size screen.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    2,605 Global Posts

I don't have the 12.9" but it is just to far in to the "hybrid" device arena, like a laptop. There is just something about that near 1# form factor of the 9.7 that should make it the perfect note taking device (probably not for you creative drawing types).
    iMore Newbie

I love the huge screen and I'm never going back to the Air.
    TechnologyTwitt likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    354 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss View Post
    I don't have the 12.9" but it is just to far in to the "hybrid" device arena, like a laptop. There is just something about that near 1# form factor of the 9.7 that should make it the perfect note taking device (probably not for you creative drawing types).
    Clearly, to each their own, but the iPad Pro is the absolute perfect size. Having had the Mini's & Air's - no way would I go back 🤓
    taeisme likes this.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    257 Global Posts

I actually bought the 12.9" model today. While I've not had a lot of time to work with it, I know I'm going to like this size.
    maximusaurelius likes this.
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts

I've considered going with the 9.7" Pro, but I just can't give up the real estate of the 12.9" Pro now. Not only does the 9.7 look small to me. I think it's ugly with larger bezels.

Plus running split screen on the smaller Pro looks awkward to me. I can't go back.
    iMore Elite

Quote Originally Posted by emanwis View Post
    I actually bought the 12.9" model today. While I've not had a lot of time to work with it, I know I'm going to like this size.
    Did you purchase the 256 gb size?
    iMore Newbie

I got my 12.9 last week. Aside from the True Tone display, I didn't feel like I'd be missing anything-- I rarely took my iPad 3 out of the house and pretty much never took pictures with it. In the end, size mattered most.... as it often does .
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    257 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Honey Beagle View Post
    Did you purchase the 256 gb size?
    I bought the 128GB size. I believe that will be plenty of storage for me.
    iMore Elite

Groovy. Much less expensive.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    1,671 Global Posts

Definitely. The 9.7" iPad Pro is too similar to my previous iPad, the Air 2.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts

I love the 12.9 inch screen and better speakers of the big model. 9.7 is to small for me now.
    A guy at Starbucks this morning asked me about my iPad. He didn't know there was a iPad Pro out.
    iMore Elite

Default Pro Owners: Would you still have purchased 12.7" Pro if there was also a 9.7"...

"love the 12.9 inch screen and better speakers of the big model. 9.7 is to small for me now.

A guy at Starbucks this morning asked me about my iPad. He didn't know there was a iPad Pro out."

Must be someone from the cave man days.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast