Research about using an iPad Pro for note taking?

I

iMore Question

Research about using an iPad Pro for note taking

Hi all! I'm researching how people use the iPad Pro for note taking, particularly with an Apple Pencil or other stylus. I'm not as interested in the best apps, I'm more interested in why/how you take notes on the iPad, and especially any struggles you run into.

I'd love a 10m Skype with anyone who's interested, but any feedback here would be super helpful as well. Thanks!

TechnologyTwitt

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: Research about using an iPad Pro for note taking

I'm leaning towards the Pencil - primarily for note taking. That though is the struggle, is the Pencil/iPad my solution?

Throughout the course of my day, I'm either jotting thoughts, to-dos, etc on post-its. From there, they're tossed once the subject is addressed or scanned into Evernote.

I'm not a lengthy note taker, but rather a frequent one. The iPad Pro is almost always with me and since I'm in a cross platform environment I use Evernote (although I've been using it even when I used only Mac).

Rather than burning through stacks of post-it's, since I use the iPad Pro for mail, PDF annotation, etc, are these two (Pencil & iPad) what I'm looking for to save me some time and keep me better organized?

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site

I enjoy using my apple pencil for note taking with OneNote as it allows me to utilize lined paper. Very handy for note taking.

JoePa2624

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I use my Pro to take notes all the time with the Pencil. I've been trying many note taking apps, but have recently decided on Noteshelf. The interface is simple and easy to understand and it syncs effortlessly with Evernote. Plus it has great paper templates for note taking. My only complaint is that it's not completely updated for use with the Pro. There is more input delay when compared to the Notes app or Evernote, but it's a minor annoyance.

I'm a big fan of Penultimate as well. I want to like OneNote but it just has too much input delay with the Pencil.

I hope this helps

Nursedad

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

Note taking was the primary reason I got the pro and Apple pencil combo.

I personally use Notability (syncs with a desktop companion if desired) and am very pleased what it gives me. It too let's you select the type of "paper" (e.g. lined, colored, etc...). At work, take notes / annotate documents and use the split screen abilities to set reminders and/or set up tasks (Omnifocus) as they arise in the discussion. I'm a student as well and its benefit in this environment from a note-taking perspective is excellent as well.

I know you aren't interested in the apps, but I would say that I use the pro/pencil for note taking because I'm trying to develop a paperless workflow and ensure that my notes are easily accessible in the future for reference. Plus, with the app noted above, I get a pencil, highlighter and multi-colored pen which helps me to add emphasis and attention to the notes that I'm taking.

Hope this helps...

stoverje

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
I am still struggling to find what works for me. My problem with the pencil is my hands shake all the time and my writing has degraded to a terrible mess where I can hardly read a lot of my own notes (on paper or iPad).

Also, it is much more useful to have the notes as editable, usable text anyway.

The pencil is great, just my writing and drawing skills are awful.

The Apple keyboard is very helpful for me for a lot of text input, but in a meeting, if I want to draw some quick diagrams, it is a pain to have to try and lay the iPad down to draw and set it back up to use the keyboard again.

I really like mind maps, but the app I am using isn't very pencil friendly. I would like a way to quickly create new items on the mind map switching with ease between keyboard and pencil.

I try to quickly create key ideas with the mind map software so I can pay attention to what all is being said. I can then reorganize and edit details later in the mind map.

Anyway, I am still looking for any better solutions that will work for me. I have tried so many note taking apps and they all fall short somewhere for me. The other option I try to use is simply creating quick outlines of notes instead of a mind map. Then, again, I refine what is in my outlines later. This way I can use the text in emails or other documents I create.

IvanKaramazov

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
I have similar concerns to the OP, though I am particularly interested in the apps. I'm hoping to use an iPad Pro for most of my note-taking in a PhD I'm beginning this fall (here's to hoping Apple releases an iPad Pro 2 this Fall as well!). My primary concern is just that it doesn't seem like many of the best "note-taking" apps have actually released full Pencil support, and while Apple Notes method of including pencil drawings as images works fine for art, it's not ideal for freeform note-taking. Nursedad, has Notability been updated for Pencil, or does it just treat it like a normal stylus?

dstrauss

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
To those using the iPad Pro with OneNote:

1. How does the Pencil work compared to the PC version?
2. Can you search the handwritten notes without converting to text?
3. Has the Pencil ever just "stopped working" - that is a constant problem on the Surface Pro 4.

anon(66956)

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
To those using the iPad Pro with OneNote:

1. How does the Pencil work compared to the PC version?
2. Can you search the handwritten notes without converting to text?
3. Has the Pencil ever just "stopped working" - that is a constant problem on the Surface Pro 4.

For inking, the Pencil lays down cleaner ink than any Wacom or N-Trig stylus I have used. It works particularly well in OneNote. One issue is that Microsoft has not implemented the lasso select feature. This is a deal-breaker for me. When they do implement it, OneNote will be the best notetaking app on the iPad Pro. OneNote on the iPad Pro doesn't appear to allow you to search ink. My pencil hasn't stopped working since I purchased it.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I used to use Notability, but switched to OneNote when I was trying out the MS Surface and stuck with it when I returned to the iPad. I mostly use the Apple Keyboard for note taking but I did just get the Pencil. I've used it only a few times for notations. Would use more, but I keep forgetting to take it to meetings with me. If anyone knows of a loop/clip that would be good you stick on my keyboard or iPad, let me know.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2