iOS 9.3 beta public on iPad Pro - no pencil scrolling problem. Has anyone else had this problem?

I

iMore Question

iOS 9.3 beta public on iPad Pro - no pencil scrolling problem

Loaded up 9.3 on iPad Pro LTE model
Pencil no longer has any scrolling functions in mail pages or within apps

Anyone else demonstrating this problem?

Rolled back to 9.2 and pencil resumed normal functions

studio_e

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Re: iOS 9.3 beta public on iPad Pro - no pencil scrolling problem

Tried connecting and unconnecting, reconnecting pencil. Pencil responds to tap but does not page swipe nor respond to any swiping motions in any apps. Works in keyboard tapping

justin5117

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site

Same thing. This is obviously a bug. Please everyone go to the feedback app and report this. It may not make a difference but the more people that report it maybe the faster 9.3 beta 1.2 comes out instead of waiting for 9.3 beta 2. This really sucks!

justin5117

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site

Loaded up 9.3 on iPad Pro LTE model
Pencil no longer has any scrolling functions in mail pages or within apps

Anyone else demonstrating this problem?

Rolled back to 9.2 and pencil resumed normal functions
How do u roll back to 9.2?

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

Same thing. I submitted a bug report.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Anybody able to confirm if beta 2 solves this? I have loaded beta 2 and at the office with my Pro and working late tonight and don't have my pencil with me to test.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

I confirmed it still doesn't work. No scrolling with the pencil on beta 2.

reygza

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
I've read that this may be intentional. Apple wants to make clear that the Pencil is only for sketching, drawing, markup, etc... Not navigation.

Trigati

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
I've read that this may be intentional. Apple wants to make clear that the Pencil is only for sketching, drawing, markup, etc... Not navigation.

Wow. "No, you can't use this 100 dollar add-on device the way *you* want. You can only use it the way *we* want you to use it, and you'll like it!"

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Wow. "No, you can't use this 100 dollar add-on device the way *you* want. You can only use it the way *we* want you to use it, and you'll like it!"

Doesn't that apply to most companies? For instance, if I buy a Samsung smartphone, but I want to run iOS 9.3 beta 2 on it (you know, use it the way I want to use it), I am unable to. If I buy an iPhone from Sprint and want to use it on the Verizon network, I am unable to.

Trigati

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
Doesn't that apply to most companies? For instance, if I buy a Samsung smartphone, but I want to run iOS 9.3 beta 2 on it (you know, use it the way I want to use it), I am unable to. If I buy an iPhone from Sprint and want to use it on the Verizon network, I am unable to.

That's a very specious way of replying. We're not talking about using Apple's pencil on a Samsung device or anything similar. We're talking about using Apple's Pencil on an Apple Device that was able to do certain things and the higher ups saying "Nope, we don't like people doing that. You can't do that anymore." It'd be like a car company suddenly saying "We don't like people driving on highways so the built in GPS won't let you go on entrance ramps now."

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That's a very specious way of replying. We're not talking about using Apple's pencil on a Samsung device or anything similar. We're talking about using Apple's Pencil on an Apple Device that was able to do certain things and the higher ups saying "Nope, we don't like people doing that. You can't do that anymore." It'd be like a car company suddenly saying "We don't like people driving on highways so the built in GPS won't let you go on entrance ramps now."

My reply was not misleading, and I was responding to the comment you posted above. Anyway, in keeping with what I was stating previously, I'll use the car analogy you used. When I put my car on cruise control, I want it to work in conjunction with my built-in navigation system and drive me to my destination while I sleep. I'm assuming this is possible and the capabilities are purposely being withheld from me just like you're assuming Apple stunted the Pencil based on hearsay from reygza who stated that he read that it "may be intentional".

Trigati

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
My reply was not misleading, and I was responding to the comment you posted above. Anyway, in keeping with what I was stating previously, I'll use the car analogy you used. When I put my car on cruise control, I want it to work in conjunction with my built-in navigation system and drive me to my destination while I sleep. I'm assuming this is possible and the capabilities are purposely being withheld from me just like you're assuming Apple stunted the Pencil based on hearsay from reygza who stated that he read that it "may be intentional".

Closer but still not in the ballpark. We know that there are currently no self driving cars being sold right now. There are some being worked on, but they're not available to the public. There was a feature with the Apple Pencil that *was* working on iOS 9.2 that is now *not* working on iOS 9.3 Beta. Hopefully it's just a bug and the rumor's just a rumor.

But to use your analogy, it's more like "We know you enjoyed using cruise control at any speed, but we decided we don't want people using cruise control any faster than 40 MPH, so from now on, if you try to activate your cruise on the highway, it just won't work." I hope Apple isn't using this mentality but that there's just something in the software that needs to be fixed before public release.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Closer but still not in the ballpark. We know that there are currently no self driving cars being sold right now. There are some being worked on, but they're not available to the public. There was a feature with the Apple Pencil that *was* working on iOS 9.2 that is now *not* working on iOS 9.3 Beta. Hopefully it's just a bug and the rumor's just a rumor.

But to use your analogy, it's more like "We know you enjoyed using cruise control at any speed, but we decided we don't want people using cruise control any faster than 40 MPH, so from now on, if you try to activate your cruise on the highway, it just won't work."

We'll simply agree to disagree.......Take care.

reygza

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
Where have you read this?

It was an article on an Apple-centric website, can't remember which one. They referenced a Jony Ive quote that stated they (Apple) didn't want the Pencil to be seen as a replacement for a pointing and clicking tool but one that was specific to drawing/sketching/markup. It was speculation.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site

Yep not fixed in beta 3. Starting to think as posted above its not a bug and Apple changing how the pencil can be used.

jsntrenkler

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2010
Visit site

Yep not fixed in beta 3. Starting to think as posted above its not a bug and Apple changing how the pencil can be used.

Yikes that sucks ... I enjoy using the pencil to scroll and tap objects. I find it to be a benefit.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR