iPad Pro - Dead spot on digitizer..?

applemango85

Feb 14, 2016
Visit site
I've been having a few problems with my iPad pro including this issue - it's on its 3rd replacement now as I've documented in the forum below

https://discussions.apple.com/message/29777320?ac_cid=op123456#29777320
Apple communities - iPad pro screen clicking/popping when pressed in certain areas - does this also happen with you iPad pro??

The pattern I have noticed that most that bought at launch (have the orignal batch) don't seem to have any problems.

Those from every other batch from then (mid December onwards) are likely to have one of a number of the problems.

I remember reading that Apple only made so many of iPad pro for launch not knowing how well it would sell - I think it was masses more popular than anyone predicted and apple have had to rush them out quicker and mistakes have been made.

Thing is I'm on my 4th iPad and the Apple Store (whom have been really great throughout this whole thing) have said (and I agree) that there is no point getting another replacement as they are all having the same problem right now and they don't know when the uk next shipment is in and even then the new batch may have the same faults - they can't guarette a replacement a month or 2 especially as I've already gone through a few but others may benefit.

Basically apple don't solve issues unless 5% plus report it and then they don't announce it but work on fixing it quietly so start writing to Apple - I doubt there'd be a recall but it could get sorted

Also my Apple Store sells paper"s pencil stylus which has the same problem - interesting

Last edited by a moderator:

Trigati

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
That information isn't making me any less hesitant about buying an iPad Pro at this time, since there's no doubt all the originally manufactured ones are gone from the stores local to me.

BobR1908

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
I own a 128gb Space Grey wifi model that I bought earlier this week that does not have this issue. Tested prior to replying to be sure and I was able to colour a compete page with both the Apple pencil and my finger. No dead spots. I have AppleCare + to fall back on should any issues surface

BobR1908

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
We also have a 32gb iPad Pro Wifi (Space Grey) and can confirm it also has no screen issues.

One is used for work while the other is for personal use. Both screens are fine.

CraftyGrammy

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
image.jpgThe problem is real.

I purchased the Space Gray, 128 GB, wi if only. Spent two days setting it up..was very excited to have so much space to load all my graphic apps. After an overnight full charge, I noticed the letter "b" on the onscreen keypad was not striking as it should. I determined that the lower left quadrant of the " b" square was unresponsive to touch.
So I opened a drawing app. I tried coloring over the location in 4 different graphic app programs and had the same result others have mentioned... small white rectangle that does not respond to touch...this was in every app, exactly as others have illustrated.
I did a hard reset, the spot worked briefly...when I used the keyboard to answer a text, I noticed the " b" was not registering..returned to the graphic app and the dead zone was back...the problem was back within 10 minutes of doing the hard reset.

I was not using an Apple pen...the problem occurred with finger and stylus touch. I was using an Otterbox Defender so before filing a complaint I removed the Otterbox. Problem still existed when in direct contact to the surface.

I had initially set up my new iPad with a backup restore. I wiped the iPad clean and set up as a new iPad, problem still existed.
I returned the iPad. I am leery of purchasing a new one.

I will watch this thread and see how this issue plays out for others. I have been a satisfied Apple products user since 2005 . I was disappointed to read they dismissed the problem because they couldn't recreate it. I hope by now they know...

the problem is real.

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
View attachment 103237The problem is real.

I purchased the Space Gray, 128 GB, wi if only. Spent two days setting it up..was very excited to have so much space to load all my graphic apps. After an overnight full charge, I noticed the letter "b" on the onscreen keypad was not striking as it should. I determined that the lower left quadrant of the " b" square was unresponsive to touch.
So I opened a drawing app. I tried coloring over the location in 4 different graphic app programs and had the same result others have mentioned... small white rectangle that does not respond to touch...this was in every app, exactly as others have illustrated.
I did a hard reset, the spot worked briefly...when I used the keyboard to answer a text, I noticed the " b" was not registering..returned to the graphic app and the dead zone was back...the problem was back within 10 minutes of doing the hard reset.

I was not using an Apple pen...the problem occurred with finger and stylus touch. I was using an Otterbox Defender so before filing a complaint I removed the Otterbox. Problem still existed when in direct contact to the surface.

I had initially set up my new iPad with a backup restore. I wiped the iPad clean and set up as a new iPad, problem still existed.
I returned the iPad. I am leery of purchasing a new one.

I will watch this thread and see how this issue plays out for others. I have been a satisfied Apple products user since 2005 . I was disappointed to read they dismissed the problem because they couldn't recreate it. I hope by now they know...

the problem is real.

That is a bummer. It sounds like it's a software problem at least and it may get solved in 9.3. We can hope. I have tested mine and there's still no dead spot that I'm aware of.

winters07

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
A replacement iPad Pro also has the dead spot- My original had a build date of 51 (dec)

The replacement iPPs were all with a Nov-Dec build
Appears this dead-spot is across all iPad Pros -- anyone else in touch with Apple Support?

what other stylus brands are producing this dead spot?

DeadSpot.jpg

Last edited:

compupane

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
Unfortunately, no. I'm just dealing with it. I'm leasing it through T-Mobile, so I'm just going to wait until the fall and hope they release a 12.9" iPad Pro 2.

Chihuahua1

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
I love this device except for this one thing and it is getting SO FRUSTRATING that I keep hitting this dead spot.

Has anyone heard back from Apple.

I was told it would be fixed in IOS 9.3 but it wasn't.

anyone else heard of a fix?

so frustrating ...:crying:

winters07

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
Same here.
Seems a manufacturing defect for those who are using a rubber-tipped stylus.

The Paper53 Pencil keeps skipping, but erratically, over that spot.

updating to ios 9.3 didn't help

BobR1908

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
This strikes me as a potential hardware issue. I have two, one I use for work and one we use as a personal device and neither have this issue. We also have two friends who have the iPad Pro and they do not have this issue either.

compupane

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
I love this device except for this one thing and it is getting SO FRUSTRATING that I keep hitting this dead spot.

Has anyone heard back from Apple.

I was told it would be fixed in IOS 9.3 but it wasn't.

anyone else heard of a fix?

so frustrating ...:crying:

This is a hardware issue not a software issue. If it were a software issue, I'm sure it would be fixed by now. I think the capacitive response is just lower in that area for some reason (hardware defect). You don't see it when using your finger because the surface area of the finger compensates for the issue. Active styli like the Apple Pencil use Bluetooth, in addition to capacitive qualities, to interact with the screen, so that's why those don't experience this issue. Standard passive styli, though, don't have enough surface area on the tip or enough "electricity" traveling through them to compensate for the defect unless you remember to press down extra hard on that spot.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
This is a hardware issue not a software issue. If it were a software issue, I'm sure it would be fixed by now. I think the capacitive response is just lower in that area for some reason (hardware defect). You don't see it when using your finger because the surface area of the finger compensates for the issue. Active styli like the Apple Pencil use Bluetooth, in addition to capacitive qualities, to interact with the screen, so that's why those don't experience this issue. Standard passive styli, though, don't have enough surface area on the tip or enough "electricity" traveling through them to compensate for the defect unless you remember to press down extra hard on that spot.

Great explanation. Probably why using the apple pencil or my finger I have no dead spot. This makes total sense.

winters07

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
Apple most certainly will take care of us as soon as the Engineers become aware of this malfunction.

Everyone who is affected by this defect needs to notify Apple Support and ask to have this issue escalated; It's a "numbers-thing" with Apple Support.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh