iPad Pro - Dead spot on digitizer..?

Xandroid

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone else seeing a dead spot on their iPad Pro digitizer? I found another forum online with a few people posting same issues on there. I found out that mine had a dead spot when I was playing around with the "Paper" app. When holding iPad in Portrait mode (with the Home button on bottom), the dead spot is located on the left side of the screen, about 1/2" to 1" from the left bezel and about 4-1/4" to 4-3/4" from the top bezel and it is a square in shape and about 1/2"x1/2" in size. See attached image.

If you use your finger, you might not be able to find the spot, as most mens index fingers are 1/2" width. I'd recommend using a stylus and going really slowly across that spot, that way you don't accidentally "jump" over the spot.

Needless to say, I'll be contacting Apple and requesting a replacement. If it wasn't for this particular issue, I would be extremely happy with my 128GB WiFi/Cellular iPad Pro.

IMG_0093.jpg

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
I had a weird spot on my screen, but I think it was an issue with the laminate process or perhaps fluid that hadn't dried yet. It appeared to be deeper than the digitizer, and the spot wasn't "dead". It went away with a few days use, but I had the iPad replaced anyway just in case. It would only show up on a white background and appeared to be a slightly darker circle about 1/8" in diameter.

Xandroid

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I had a weird spot on my screen, but I think it was an issue with the laminate process or perhaps fluid that hadn't dried yet. It appeared to be deeper than the digitizer, and the spot wasn't "dead". It went away with a few days use, but I had the iPad replaced anyway just in case. It would only show up on a white background and appeared to be a slightly darker circle about 1/8" in diameter.

Hmm. Interesting. I cannot see any physical damage or "spots" per say. the touchscreen (digitizer) doesn't register touch in that spot.

Xandroid

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE:

I called Apple and the Rep I spoke to wasn't familiar with this issue. Might not be a widespread problem. They set-up a replacement for me. Hopefully I'll be back on track real soon! :)

jpgti

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
UPDATE:

I called Apple and the Rep I spoke to wasn't familiar with this issue. Might not be a widespread problem. They set-up a replacement for me. Hopefully I'll be back on track real soon! :)

Same with mine, and I haven't read of many screen issues on the Pro (yours and mine are the only ones I have seen on here) Apple would have replaced mine, but the rep suggested I go back to Verizon so I would get a brand new out of the box iPad. Ended up waiting a month for Verizon to get one to me. Makes me feel better to have one with no visible issues out of the box.

xrobinx

Jan 1, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for posting this. I have the exact same issue, the little dead square in the same spot. Ugh, contacting Apple right away.

iprofun

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
I have the same problem. I'll try returning it soon. I didn't buy it directly from Apple. I may try to purchase again later when they got it all figured out. It's so disappointing to have to deal with the "dead spot" when I should be able to use it for my art. Let us know if the replacement iPad Pro are free of problems, good luck!

Have you all tried using the IPencil to see if the problem is not there anymore when using it with the IPad Pro?. I haven't been able to get one yet, so I cannot test it.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
9082ab928e76bda1621c83b3ddc5224d.jpg

I tried that same area as you described. No issues here.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Now for the ones who have this problem, does this exist in any other app or even stock notes app?

compupane

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
Have the exact same problem with my LTE iPad Pro (gold). Got it replaced by Apple yesterday and the replacement has the same problem as well! Makes it very hard to use the stock on-screen keyboard in landscape mode because it makes the "B" key difficult to use. I'm afraid to get it replaced again out of fear it will have the same problem.

For those having this issue, which model and color is yours?

Xandroid

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Now for the ones who have this problem, does this exist in any other app or even stock notes app?

I saw this issue across all apps. Another good way to test for this problem is to take a stylus and try to move apps around on the home screen. If the app drops back to original spot when you drag it across this area, then you have a dead spot.

iprofun

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
My iPad Pro is the Gold 128GB. WiFi only. I just got it replaced for the same color and GB, and I'm sorry to report the exact same issue with the dead spot in the same area. Unfortunately the I pencil is not available, and it will only be available in about 4 weeks from Apple, so there's no way to test it with their pencil. Also, are the ones reporting the issue using the ipencil?

iprofun

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site
All of the drawing apps I have show the same issue with the dead spot. I first noticed after playing the new version of Art with friends.