ipad pro vs Surface pro

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I got a surface to compare since I had some nagging thoughts (and both are similar in price). And I have a while to compare.

Early thoughts:

ipad pro:
1. Best ipad yet in terms of performance, sound, pencil, kb, etc.
2. Screen is amazing.
3. Needs more split screen apps. I could almost live with the apps not updated if this were universal somehow.
4. Everything is smooth. Browsing, using apps, you name it. No issues with wifi, cellular, defects...it's been pretty good for a 1st gen.
5. Biggest con to me is lack of a kickstand (now that I've used a surface). The smart cover is a bit flimsy I'm finding. Also needs place to put pencil.
6. I didn't purchase a kb case because I didn't think I'd use it or want to.
7. Don't have a pencil yet but soon. Pretty sure I'll have to constantly charge this sucker which is a bummer.
8. It's just quicker to jump in and do what you want than a Surface. Netflix, for example is much better here. Or procreate for casual use. Or comic zeal to read a comic.

Surface pro:
1. Needs updates right away.
1a. Noticed screen bleed at bottom right away on dark screens.
2. KB case is pretty cool actually. Felt good to me typing.
3. Kickstand rules and has many uses. Do this Apple.
4. Surface pen is ok and can stick to side magnetically. Haven't used it much to draw but find it more useful for marking up if needed. Eraser is good.
5. I don't like the Edge browser. Using firefox and chrome. Some glitches there such as on screen kb not coming up automatically. Not smooth scrolling either like an ipad. But the major pro is that it's a full desktop browser.
6. Battery life is much worse than ipad. Probably by half or more.
7. Some wifi issues in that it seems weaker than ipad. Problems reconnecting after being back from sleep.
8. No LTE. But not a huge deal.
9. Hardly intuitive. To get to split screen required me googling. Now I know. I'm also used to swiping left to go back on a web page. Can't do that here.
10. Find myself wanting to use windows "desktop" programs instead. Just used to them. But not the best for touch. Need that kb attached.
11. It does more but find myself not really wanting to stare at the same OS and what not after using a PC for work all day. Screen is great btw to look at.
12. Appreciate the one click on pen to open onenote. Although it seems like a mobile version vs onenote 2016 that is also on surface now after installing office.
13. Power cord is pretty cool. Magnetic.
14. Installed Hearthstone. Tiny little install screens. Game works fine though but had fan pop on. But it works smoothly on ipad as well.
15. Daughter can play Minecraft.
16. Windows app store is a disaster. Still mixed to using that vs simply installing what I want through web.
17. I like one drive much better than icloud for photos or other storage.
18. Has benefits of a PC which you should know. USB for other things, mouse, file system, etc.
19. I think Microsoft's start screen or tiles is awful. I hate it. The fact that they can't realize this says it all about their mobile pursuits.

I'd like for my tablet to be a fun device. Apple's is for the most part. MS's could be if you can work around the obstacles they put in place. Right now, I'm preferring the ipad. The surface could be all that you need if you only need one device other than a phone especially the ability to dock with a monitor and still gives you a pretty decent tablet experience when you want it. The ipad has more sharing options. Imessage. Make or receive phone calls. It's that tie to iOS that's compelling.

I think the family though likes the Surface. I know my minecraft minded daughter does. Wife liked it too and wondered why we needed the 13" MBP if we kept it. Good question. The ipad? It's big was the reaction. Wife hasn't used it. Daughter wants to draw on it when pencil arrives but that's basically it. I think it would come down to can I make the surface as convenient, easy, and as fun, as an ipad for what I'd use it for.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I got a surface to compare since I had some nagging thoughts (and both are similar in price). And I have a while to compare.

Early thoughts:

ipad pro:
1. Best ipad yet in terms of performance, sound, pencil, kb, etc.
2. Screen is amazing.
3. Needs more split screen apps. I could almost live with the apps not updated if this were universal somehow.
4. Everything is smooth. Browsing, using apps, you name it. No issues with wifi, cellular, defects...it's been pretty good for a 1st gen.
5. Biggest con to me is lack of a kickstand (now that I've used a surface). The smart cover is a bit flimsy I'm finding. Also needs place to put pencil.
6. I didn't purchase a kb case because I didn't think I'd use it or want to.
7. Don't have a pencil yet but soon. Pretty sure I'll have to constantly charge this sucker which is a bummer.
8. It's just quicker to jump in and do what you want than a Surface. Netflix, for example is much better here. Or procreate for casual use. Or comic zeal to read a comic.

Surface pro:
1. Needs updates right away.
1a. Noticed screen bleed at bottom right away on dark screens.
2. KB case is pretty cool actually. Felt good to me typing.
3. Kickstand rules and has many uses. Do this Apple.
4. Surface pen is ok and can stick to side magnetically. Haven't used it much to draw but find it more useful for marking up if needed. Eraser is good.
5. I don't like the Edge browser. Using firefox and chrome. Some glitches there such as on screen kb not coming up automatically. Not smooth scrolling either like an ipad. But the major pro is that it's a full desktop browser.
6. Battery life is much worse than ipad. Probably by half or more.
7. Some wifi issues in that it seems weaker than ipad. Problems reconnecting after being back from sleep.
8. No LTE. But not a huge deal.
9. Hardly intuitive. To get to split screen required me googling. Now I know. I'm also used to swiping left to go back on a web page. Can't do that here.
10. Find myself wanting to use windows "desktop" programs instead. Just used to them. But not the best for touch. Need that kb attached.
11. It does more but find myself not really wanting to stare at the same OS and what not after using a PC for work all day. Screen is great btw to look at.
12. Appreciate the one click on pen to open onenote. Although it seems like a mobile version vs onenote 2016 that is also on surface now after installing office.
13. Power cord is pretty cool. Magnetic.
14. Installed Hearthstone. Tiny little install screens. Game works fine though but had fan pop on. But it works smoothly on ipad as well.
15. Daughter can play Minecraft.
16. Windows app store is a disaster. Still mixed to using that vs simply installing what I want through web.
17. I like one drive much better than icloud for photos or other storage.
18. Has benefits of a PC which you should know. USB for other things, mouse, file system, etc.
19. I think Microsoft's start screen or tiles is awful. I hate it. The fact that they can't realize this says it all about their mobile pursuits.

I'd like for my tablet to be a fun device. Apple's is for the most part. MS's could be if you can work around the obstacles they put in place. Right now, I'm preferring the ipad. The surface could be all that you need if you only need one device other than a phone especially the ability to dock with a monitor and still gives you a pretty decent tablet experience when you want it. The ipad has more sharing options. Imessage. Make or receive phone calls. It's that tie to iOS that's compelling.

I think the family though likes the Surface. I know my minecraft minded daughter does. Wife liked it too and wondered why we needed the 13" MBP if we kept it. Good question. The ipad? It's big was the reaction. Wife hasn't used it. Daughter wants to draw on it when pencil arrives but that's basically it. I think it would come down to can I make the surface as convenient, easy, and as fun, as an ipad for what I'd use it for.

cool comparison thanks ! i now know i do not want a surface lol

TheRadBear

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
cool comparison thanks ! i now know i do not want a surface lol

The Surface Pro 4 is a good device; a good laptop - first, and meh tablet (at best) - second. On the flip side, the Pro is an excellent tablet that is nowhere near the laptop territory. That being said, for folks who enjoy the mobile space, it is a must-have.

I would not want the Surface myself either, and yes I have tried it; but that's just my preference.

Cheers!

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
The Surface Pro 4 is a good device; a good laptop - first, and meh tablet (at best) - second. On the flip side, the Pro is an excellent tablet that is nowhere near the laptop territory. That being said, for folks who enjoy the mobile space, it is a must-have.

I would not want the Surface myself either, and yes I have tried it; but that's just my preference.

Cheers!

My pro has log me in app to my work computer so I'm good to go lol

dchandler

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
Good comparison, I been thinking about picking up a Ipad pro the past couple of days and this made me want it more. Thanks

MasterDarque

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
To the OP, regarding your point #9 about not being able to swipe to go back a page on a website - I have a Surface RT (first generation) and in I.E. on it, you can do this, but it requires a two finger swipe to the right to do so. As well, you can also move ahead one page with a two finger swipe to the left.
I appreciate your take on your experiences with both devices. Congrats on the newest addition to your tech family.

Last edited:

Texatl

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
I have heard the argument before regarding the file system. And I wonder, is it a file system/folder system one desires? Or is it access to the machines file system?

I ask because I am curious.

I use Goodreader for this type of quasi "my docs" type function and to link to servers and cloud based storage. I find it replicates or provides a folder structure very nicely on my work iPad.

But I would really like to hear thoughts on this.

Thanks!

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
I have heard the argument before regarding the file system. And I wonder, is it a file system/folder system one desires? Or is it access to the machines file system?

I ask because I am curious.

I use Goodreader for this type of quasi "my docs" type function and to link to servers and cloud based storage. I find it replicates or provides a folder structure very nicely on my work iPad.

But I would really like to hear thoughts on this.

Thanks!

I rely on a file system because I actually link to worksheets (excel). Plus just over the years, everything I have has its own folder and I know where it is. I don't put client files on the cloud. Dropbox and similar do have file systems but it's not exactly the same.

We know iOS can do this. iFile, a jailbreaking app does. Apple could too or modify it at least. I don't see the problem providing this. If you don't want access then hide it like we do other apps we don't use.

Texatl

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
I rely on a file system because I actually link to worksheets (excel). Plus just over the years, everything I have has its own folder and I know where it is. I don't put client files on the cloud. Dropbox and similar do have file systems but it's not exactly the same.

We know iOS can do this. iFile, a jailbreaking app does. Apple could too or modify it at least. I don't see the problem providing this. If you don't want access then hide it like we do other apps we don't use.

I can see that. But I don't understand the dropbox/cloud part of your response. Linking yes, but GoodReader would allow you a local folder structure on the device. While you could use cloud services through it, I'm talking about using it for local folders and creating that capability.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2