Apple Pencil x iPad Pro not relying on force touch/ 3D touch. It should work with all iDevices?

jason128

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
Here is my thoughts. The shading and pressure are created from the internal hardware of Apple Pencil sending information to the iPad Pro to produce the out come. So it doesn't any how relying on force touch or other hardware. This means any iDevices should works with Apple Pencil.

"iPad Pro knows whether you?re using your finger or Apple Pencil. When iPad Pro senses Apple Pencil, the subsystem scans its signal at an astounding 240 times per second, giving it twice the data points it normally collects with your finger. This data, combined with Apple‑designed software, means that there?s only milliseconds between the image you have in your mind and the one you see on the display. "

I do see a main point where iPad Pro could automatically sense Apple Pencil and create an astounding 240 times per second..... Its all talking about software right? This means once Apple include the mention software into other iDevices iOS, all of the devices are able to connect to Apple Pencil.

What do you think?

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Your logic is sound and it's possible it could be used on other iOS devices. I do think that Apple may restrict its use to the iPad Pro given their focus but in the future they could potentially open it up to other iPads, but ultimately I don't see where an iPhone or iPod Touch would benefit given their smaller sizes. I would of course like to be wrong on this point so we can see more adoption across iOS.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
You have a point but I don't know that 3D Touch is accurate enough to create a good experience with pencil. So far 3D Touch only senses two different levels of pressure--peek and pop--and pencil is designed to be much more accurate. And I don't know if you've experienced 3D Touch yourself but you really have to press in. I would think it would be very hard to press at that level with a pencil and accurately move it at the same time. And, of course, there's always the fact that Apple may simply not want to make pencil available to other devices for strategic purposes. I hope I'm wrong though because I think it would be nice to use on a regular iPad.

Thank you for sharing!

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Today 3D Touch supports peek and pop, but Apple stated it will be able to do much more in the future and likley in iOS 10 and above we will see those features come to life.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Just because it should work with all devices, that doesn't mean it will.

Compare with all the old iOS devices that never got Siri.

May be stuck with old third party styluses for our iPad Airs and iPad Minis...

jason128

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
Very true! I used my iPhone 5 to update to iO9 in the first day of the launching. And it lags until today. Ordered a iPhone 6s to safe my day. There must be compatibility issue for the Apple Pencil as well, might be on the wireless transfer speed or processor speed for the immediate respond. Apple tends to make everything very fine and complicated, but thats what people love about them.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods