So is the iPad Pro basically the Surface Pro 3?

I

iMore Question

So is the iPad Pro basically the Surface Pro 3

Is it? But just a boat load more money?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: So is the iPad Pro basically the Surface Pro 3

No. The iPad Pro is, well, an iPad on steroids......:)

W1ck3D86

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site

Take the apple away and replace iOS with android and then check the price of other devices with the same specs. But then again I don't really like android, so I guess u pay whatever they ask for an iOS tablet.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

It was just another drive-by post. Just ignore it.

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site

Take the apple away and replace iOS with android and then check the price of other devices with the same specs. But then again I don't really like android, so I guess u pay whatever they ask for an iOS tablet.

The Surface Pro doesn't run Android. It runs full-blown Windows like a PC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

zerog46

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site

b6dd9141651d3a5f0c5607eb565e9b1e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

W1ck3D86

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site

The Surface Pro doesn't run Android. It runs full-blown Windows like a PC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

IOS isn't a full os either that's why I said to replace it with android as that will even bring the price more down.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site

It's both better and worse, I'd say.

Easier to use, just as handy with Office suites, and just as nice with the specialized stylus.

Fewer apps, though. Less backward compatibility.

Nicer hardware. But less storage.

Etc.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
It's on par with a Surface 3 tablet, for a lot more money. Regardless of OS, the OP was asking not how it compares to other devices, but was it like a Surface Pro 3 which is a full blown windows computer/tablet in one. Android Tablet, iPad Pro and Surface Tablet share common benefits it depends on your OS preference.

Blacklizted

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
It is... trying.

Surface Pen > Apple Pencil
Surface Keyboard > Magic Keyboard
Full OS > Mobile OS

One thing the iPad Pro is greater than the SP3 would be the price, and that's not nice.

TheRadBear

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
It is... trying.

Surface Pen > Apple Pencil
Surface Keyboard > Magic Keyboard
Full OS > Mobile OS

One thing the iPad Pro is greater than the SP3 would be the price, and that's not nice.

Having reviewed a variety of hands-on sessions with the Apple Pencil, I am beginning to think that's the Pencil is superior to Surface's stylus, at least when it comes to control and precision. The Adobe sessions with the comments from their engineers are particularly impressive.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Blacklizted

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
Having reviewed a variety of hands-on sessions with the Apple Pencil, I am beginning to think that's the Pencil is superior to Surface's stylus, at least when it comes to control and precision. The Adobe sessions with the comments from their engineers are particularly impressive.

Thanks.

I wouldn't use the word superior. I think it is better in those aspect. But these can be fixed via firmware update. The Surface Pen advantages over the Apple Pencil however, cannot be solved by an update. It has a magnetic strip. The eraser which I love since I just have to flip it around rather than occupy a shortcut on my keyboard. The configurable side button, and three other uses of the eraser button. It has interchangeable tips. Not to forget that it lasts for more than a year.

The Pencil's charging setup is very awkward. Apple could've given it a female port rather than plugging it to the tablet. That way, I can still use the Pencil while I'm charging. It charges within minutes, but still, there are better ways to do this. I expect so much from Apple. I can't believe they haven't thought of that. I'm not even an engineer. If Apple Pencil 2 sports a female port next year, you've read it here first.

I love that Apple finally made a stylus, and it seems fluid, but I wish it had better power management and better engineered.

Blacklizted

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
I agree. I've seen those videos as well.

The Surface Pen might improve on those with a firmware update. I just love the extra features that Microsoft put into their pen. It has a very useful eraser (they claim that it feels like a real eraser), plus three additional functions when you press it. It comes with an extra configurable button, interchangeable tips, and one year of power. Apple Pencil won't have these with an update.

I love Apple and I give credit where credit is due, but the Apple Pencil is still a prototype for me. I'm not an engineer but they could've placed a female port so you can still use the stylus while being charged and not how it is now where it's in a very awkward position and not to mention more prone to breaking. If Apple Pencil 2 comes with a female port, remember that you read it here first. The Apple Pencil cover should have a male port with extra functionalities.

Last edited:

Hirazuki

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Looks as if Apple will be shipping a lightning adapter in the box, when you purchase an Apple pencil. So you can attach the pencil to any lightning cables you may have lying around.

Can't post the link, as I don't have over 10 posts; but you can find iMore covering it on October 30th, sourced from 9to5mac.com.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods