I was expecting the iPad Pro to be similar to the Surface Pro where it runs on full computer OS. The question I have is, does the iPad Pro have the hardware to run OS X and is it possible to install OS X (obviously not through Apple's way).
    09-13-2015 01:25 PM
    To answer the headline question... Probably not.
    09-13-2015 01:36 PM
    It has the spec power, but running OS X on a tablet would be a horrible idea.
    09-13-2015 02:10 PM
    If someone succeeds in making their iPad Pro a Hackintosh, that'll be hilarious.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk
    maritai likes this.
    09-13-2015 04:10 PM
    Need more memory for running it.
    09-16-2015 03:19 AM
    Need more memory for running it.
    Not true at all...the Macbook Air runs the same amount of memory (4GB of RAM) and can run the newest version of OS X just fine.
    09-16-2015 04:45 PM
    The iPad Pro definitely has the horsepower to run OS X.

Question is just can someone hack it to do so. Be fun to see, if so.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk
    09-16-2015 10:01 PM
    Apple probably has them already doing so lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    09-16-2015 10:08 PM
    I honestly can't logically think of a reason OS X wouldn't be great on this version of the iPad...the OS is setup to easily flow with the use of a simple and small track pad, so the addition of touch real estate would just make that more efficient and optimized. I actually really hope we see a nice hybrid of iOS and OS X soon.
    09-17-2015 04:06 PM
    I think it's going to be better served to run an operating system that is based for multi-touch from the ground up.
    09-17-2015 04:23 PM
    I actually really hope we see a nice hybrid of iOS and OS X soon.
    I think this is going to become a reality in 2-3 years.
    09-17-2015 04:25 PM
    I want to agree and say yes OS X will get to the iPad, but ever since the optical disk drive has disappeared from 🍎 and Mac things have changed. I wouldn't be surprised if apple starts from the ground up and builds an OS that can run on Mac and iPad. Think about it, what would you gain using OS X on iPad?
    10-03-2015 12:25 PM
    Tim Cook recently expressed a desire to keep iOS and MacOS separate. Adding touch to MacOS would be a compromised experience, IMHO -- it was never designed for it.

Windows tablets are a compromised experience for this reason to me. Touch was tacked on, and to effectively use many apps, you end up having to add in the keyboard/trackpad. Then you really have a laptop.

I'd rather Apple focus on making a really good touch-first OS, and a really good keyboard/mouse-first OS, instead of trying to put the two in one thing. If iOS gains more pro-quality apps, and Apple plays ball with adding more advanced features (and they have been, to all accounts), what would be the benefit of combining them?
    muchospanish likes this.
    10-10-2015 10:23 AM
    I'm sure the iPad Pro has the hardware to run it. I'm also sure that some clever hacker will figure out a way to make it work. Lastly, I'm sure that Apple will never officially support it.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk
    10-10-2015 10:29 AM
    Many non-techies want the devices as simple as possible and many busy people (like me) want as little troubleshooting as possible. iOS will evolve in functionality. The Mac will stay separate because it has great profit margins and a lot of people still want a keyboard and a mouse. The choice will be: do you want a mouse: Mac; do you want touch and no mouse: iPad. Think. I'm wrong a lot of the time.

Also, an arm processor wouldn't be able to run the current build of OS X or an OS X programs.
    Last edited by muchospanish; 10-11-2015 at 11:25 AM.
    10-11-2015 11:07 AM
    Apple yet to come out with a Macbook or iMac that could operate with touchscreen mode. Really looking forward for a iPad Pro or Macbook Touch with OS X. Presentation would be much easier and designer don't have to carry an extra drawing pad anymore. XD
    10-15-2015 03:57 AM
    I think it would run it a bit laggy since it only has 2gb of RAM. Maybe if it had 4gb, it could run it smoothly.
    10-18-2015 11:11 AM
    I think it would be very interesting to see Apple offer something like a full blown laptop that could do this, but from Apples view (or IMO) each of Apples products does exactly what they designed them to do. The iPad Pro with the Pencil can be an artists dream while an MBP with a touch screen would not yield the same benefit.
    10-25-2015 11:39 AM
    https://tidbits.com/article/14617 im guessing this still works and for newer ipads but you can try!
    04-10-2016 04:42 PM
    To answer the headline question... Probably not.
    So the iPad pro will not have any software updates after the 9.? are ended. Never knew that. Will sell iPad pro. Do not want an unsupported device,
    04-10-2016 09:09 PM
    I'd say that an iPad running OS X is highly unlikely. I'd personally love to see it. I see lots of positives in using my Surface Pro, and I think an iPad capable of running OS X will exceed those benefits. Yet, I think that will so muddy Apple's product mix and cause more issues then it solves, I'd say no.
    04-11-2016 07:52 AM
    So the iPad pro will not have any software updates after the 9.? are ended. Never knew that. Will sell iPad pro. Do not want an unsupported device,
    It will see iOS updates as iPhones currently do... But go ahead and sell based on something I never said, or even hinted at...smh...
    04-11-2016 08:04 AM
    Whoa.... Where did THAT come from? Nowhere in this thread or in the TidBits article was THAT mentioned. Apple supports it's hardware almost to a ridiculous degree. I have a 2008 MacBook Pro that still runs great. Granted, I cannot run the most recent OS, but Snow Leopard still does everything I want it to, and Apple still releases Security updates for it. Show me an 8 year old Windoze system.. it would be running XP which received NO support from MS.
    In my house there are currently 3 Macs, and 5 i-"devices" ranging from 6 months to 11 years old that are all still functional.

I think your iPad Pro is safe....
    04-11-2016 08:20 AM
    Lol what? I don't see that implied anywhere in this thread. The Pro will surely continue to be supported.
    04-11-2016 10:14 AM
    I'd say that an iPad running OS X is highly unlikely. I'd personally love to see it. I see lots of positives in using my Surface Pro, and I think an iPad capable of running OS X will exceed those benefits. Yet, I think that will so muddy Apple's product mix and cause more issues then it solves, I'd say no.
    Personally I'd love for Apple to show us some love and develop a hybrid OS for the Pro that provides it with more advanced features to truly position it as a desktop killer. It has the hardware. Just needs the support from Apple. I don't think they'll ever do it. But it would be nice. Something to improve the multitasking experience would be great. File management would be awesome. And a full desktop experience of iTunes would be welcomed.
    maflynn likes this.
    04-11-2016 10:15 AM
35 12