Is iPad Pro tough enough to run OS X?

maflynn

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
I'd say that an iPad running OS X is highly unlikely. I'd personally love to see it. I see lots of positives in using my Surface Pro, and I think an iPad capable of running OS X will exceed those benefits. Yet, I think that will so muddy Apple's product mix and cause more issues then it solves, I'd say no.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
So the iPad pro will not have any software updates after the 9.? are ended. Never knew that. Will sell iPad pro. Do not want an unsupported device,
It will see iOS updates as iPhones currently do... But go ahead and sell based on something I never said, or even hinted at...smh...

randally

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
So the iPad pro will not have any software updates after the 9.? are ended. Never knew that. Will sell iPad pro. Do not want an unsupported device,

Whoa.... Where did THAT come from? Nowhere in this thread or in the TidBits article was THAT mentioned. Apple supports it's hardware almost to a ridiculous degree. I have a 2008 MacBook Pro that still runs great. Granted, I cannot run the most recent OS, but Snow Leopard still does everything I want it to, and Apple still releases Security updates for it. Show me an 8 year old Windoze system.. it would be running XP which received NO support from MS.
In my house there are currently 3 Macs, and 5 i-"devices" ranging from 6 months to 11 years old that are all still functional.

I think your iPad Pro is safe....

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site

Lol what? I don't see that implied anywhere in this thread. The Pro will surely continue to be supported.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I'd say that an iPad running OS X is highly unlikely. I'd personally love to see it. I see lots of positives in using my Surface Pro, and I think an iPad capable of running OS X will exceed those benefits. Yet, I think that will so muddy Apple's product mix and cause more issues then it solves, I'd say no.

Personally I'd love for Apple to show us some love and develop a hybrid OS for the Pro that provides it with more advanced features to truly position it as a desktop killer. It has the hardware. Just needs the support from Apple. I don't think they'll ever do it. But it would be nice. Something to improve the multitasking experience would be great. File management would be awesome. And a full desktop experience of iTunes would be welcomed.

maflynn

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
Personally I'd love for Apple to show us some love and develop a hybrid OS
Same here, Ultimately, I'd prefer OS X, but understandably, a hybrid system would be better.

Just look at the missteps MS did within Windows 8, trying to make one OS perfect for both tablets and desktops. It was ok on tablets but not so much on desktops.

Honey Beagle

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Whoa.... Where did THAT come from? Nowhere in this thread or in the TidBits article was THAT mentioned. Apple supports it's hardware almost to a ridiculous degree. I have a 2008 MacBook Pro that still runs great. Granted, I cannot run the most recent OS, but Snow Leopard still does everything I want it to, and Apple still releases Security updates for it. Show me an 8 year old Windoze system.. it would be running XP which received NO support from MS.
In my house there are currently 3 Macs, and 5 i-"devices" ranging from 6 months to 11 years old that are all still functional.

I think your iPad Pro is safe....

From this reply...

"I'd say that an iPad running OS X is highly unlikely. I'd personally love to see it. I see lots of positives in using my Surface Pro, and I think an iPad capable of running OS X will exceed those benefits. Yet, I think that will so muddy Apple's product mix and cause more issues then it solves, I'd say no."

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
From this reply...

"I'd say that an iPad running OS X is highly unlikely. I'd personally love to see it. I see lots of positives in using my Surface Pro, and I think an iPad capable of running OS X will exceed those benefits. Yet, I think that will so muddy Apple's product mix and cause more issues then it solves, I'd say no."

OS X is the operating system used on Macs.
iOS 10 is a not yet released mobile operating system to be used on iPhones, iPads, and iPods.
They're not the same thing. I bet my 401k that the iPad Pro will support iOS 10 when it's released.

maflynn

Feb 4, 2015
Visit site
OS X is the operating system used on Macs.
iOS 10 is a not yet released mobile operating system to be used on iPhones, iPads, and iPods.
I saw somewhere a rumor that Apple may drop the X identifier from Mac OS. I wonder if that will happen this year because iOS 10 is coming out and there may be some confusion with both operating systems being 10 - just a random thought that popped into my head as I saw your post.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I saw somewhere a rumor that Apple may drop the X identifier from Mac OS. I wonder if that will happen this year because iOS 10 is coming out and there may be some confusion with both operating systems being 10 - just a random thought that popped into my head as I saw your post.

I've heard that as well but I'm unsure of the timing. Your argument makes sense and I think it makes sense from a marketing standpoint. They've been using the OS X name for a loooooooong time.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I was expecting the iPad Pro to be similar to the Surface Pro where it runs on full computer OS. The question I have is, does the iPad Pro have the hardware to run OS X and is it possible to install OS X (obviously not through Apple's way).

I'm going to sway towards the no answer. Simply because when i boot up my Macbook Pro (Non-Retina) with nothing running its already using 4GB of RAM. This would mean, the iPad is already suffering. Apple would also need to provide an OS like Windows 8.1 which allows for Touch screen.

At the moment (and i could be wrong) Apple doesn't seem interested in providing touch screen laptops or running OSx ahem, MacOS on tablets. :)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think homebrew has proven one thing. Nothing is impossible. Someone could compile OS X for Arm and suss out all the details for install.

Another thing that homebrew shows is that many things are impractical. :rotfl:

evanking527

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Remember the commercials about iPad Pro before the latest 9.7 iPad (not Pro) came out. iPad has ten hours of battery life, and iPad gets no PC viruses since it runs iOS, a lightweight OS. Even if you could run MacOS, you couldn’t put in external hard drives in the same way, since you could only use lightning-enabled options, so the 32 gig iPad internal memory option is definitely out. I wonder, would that be the first Apple device to run macOS on an ARM based processor and not Intel? I would be interested to see how that would run, but still, iOS is better for battery and security on iPad Pro.

Rob Phillips

Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
If it ever did run MacOS, would it still be able to use Apple Pencil?

I can't see Apple taking Apple Pencil functionality away, but I also can't see them integrating macOS onto iPad anytime soon. Apple seems dead set on keeping a touch interface out of macOS. Could things change? Sure. I just don't see it happening at this point with iOS and macOS in their current iterations.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods