iPad Pro: Priced too high?

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Some people will by the iPad Pro and some will not. Why, in either case, is irrelevant. The iPad Pro is there for those who want it. If you're not one those people, good for you, but don't knock the people who want it and buy it. It's their money and their choice. Period.

I can find a use for it but at $799 it's cost outweighs the advantages.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I can find a use for it but at $799 it's cost outweighs the advantages.

That is true for a lot of people, in my opinion, but it's not true for others. Know what I mean? Personally, I don't have a need for it or any other iPad at this point in my life, but if I used an iPad as much as I use my iPhone, I'd definitely buy the iPad Pro....:)

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
For the mainstream consumer. Your not going to sell them on a $800 dollar tablet with a tablet OS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will sell more than the pro tabs from Samsung due to branding and ecosystem but it really doesn't offer anything those devices offered two years ago. Maybe the dev support will push it over the edge, but it will still be very hard to choose this over a Surface given the similar prices and the built in advantages of Windows 10 vs iOS esp regarding app support.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
For the mainstream consumer. Your You're not going to sell them on a $800 dollar tablet with a tablet OS

The answer is simple. Don't buy it. But get out of the way and let someone who does want to buy one to do so.

It's fine to voice your opinion, but having done so, stop beating the drum and move on. I'm sure there's something in Apple's product line that will make you happy.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
It will sell more than the pro tabs from Samsung due to branding and ecosystem but it really doesn't offer anything those devices offered two years ago. Maybe the dev support will push it over the edge, but it will still be very hard to choose this over a Surface given the similar prices and the built in advantages of Windows 10 vs iOS esp regarding app support.

It will sell more then Samsung tablets but it's IOS. For $799 I rather get I can get the surface pro 3 which windows is superior at productivity. Even if you want to argue about the latency on the surface you have the Samsung Note pro series and Note 10.1 2014 edition which are both cheaper then the iPad Pro and has a wacom digitizer with little latency.

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site

But have you used Photoshop/Illustrator/After Effects on a Surface Device? It is terrible. Just because the tabs can run full windows programs doesn't mean it does it well. My bet is that photoshop (updated app version) on the ipad pro will be a better experience than Photoshop full version on a surface Pro, because Photoshop full program isn't designed to be used on a tablet.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Priced way to high imo.

But have you used Photoshop/Illustrator/After Effects on a Surface Device? It is terrible. Just because the tabs can run full windows programs doesn't mean it does it well. My bet is that photoshop (updated app version) on the ipad pro will be a better experience than Photoshop full version on a surface Pro, because Photoshop full program is'nt designed to be used on a tablet.

Yea, and no it isn't. Get an appropriate surface. Don't try to skimp wit an i3 with 4GB RAM for Premiere Pro and After Effects and then complain about performance.

The Surface can dock to an external monitor so at a desk the screen size is not a factor. You don't buy this as your main work machine. You buy it for on the go productivity and working. The surface can run those apps. The iPad can't, period.

The Surface can use a mouse or trackpad, so whether an app is tablet optimized is a non factor. It's a Full windows laptop that can function as a tablet. Not a tablet masquerading as a laptop.

An iOS Photoshop is never going to compare to what's available on Windows and OS X. It won't even compare to PaintShop Pro, for that matter.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
For the mainstream consumer. Your not going to sell them on a $800 dollar tablet with a tablet OS

As a consumer, I'd rather buy this tablet than anything Android or anything Windows. So as a mainstream consumer, your statement is wrong.

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Yea, and no it isn't. Get an appropriate surface. Don't try to skimp wit an i3 with 4GB RAM for Premiere Pro and After Effects and then complain about performance.

The Surface can dock to an external monitor so at a desk the screen size is not a factor. You don't buy this as your main work machine. You buy it for on the go productivity and working. The surface can run those apps. The iPad can't, period.

Why do you assume I am skimping? I have worked on the most powerful SP3. And it handled the programs I listed terribly in my experience. I do this 8-12 hours a day I have worked on a plethora of machines. You said it yourself. SP3 doesn't replace your main work machine. Neither does the iPad Pro.

Scatabrain

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Yeah the newest for both is the only proper comparison considering iPads come in many gens and prices

When you do that price isn't a factor.

Your own choice is.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site

The Surface can use a mouse or trackpad, so whether an app is tablet optimized is a non factor. It's a Full windows laptop that can function as a tablet. Not a tablet masquerading as a laptop.

An iOS Photoshop is never going to compare to what's available on Windows and OS X. It won't even compare to PaintShop Pro, for that matter.

There are some of us who would not be caught dead spending one more cent on a Windows PC or tablet. Done. I hated Windows 8.1 with a passion and Windows 10, for all the hoopla, is nowhere near what a Mac is. So no, the Surface is simply not an option for those of us who are absolutely done with the hassles of PCs or anything Windows. My Lumia will remain my last Windows purchase. And that is all. Good riddance.

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Why do you assume I am skimping? I have worked on the most powerful SP3. And it handled the programs I listed terribly in my experience. I do this 8-12 hours a day I have worked on a plethora of machines. You said it yourself. SP3 doesn't replace your main work machine. Neither does the iPad Pro.

The surface doesn't due to form factor. The iPad doesn't due to the OS just not cutting it for that kind of use, and being unable to run the applications.

An i5 Surface with 8GB RAM flies through Photoshop and Premiere as long as you aren't editing 4K.

Stop defining my statements. Ask if you're unsure what I intended to say.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

You're forgetting a very import piece of information. Although other devices may have offered similar or even better features "two years ago", a good deal of people who have never used those devices will find what the iPad Pro is offering advantageous. Yes, the Apple brand carries a lot of weight in the tech industry and its ecosystem is top-notch and well-supported. Yet, any company would like to be in the position that Apple is in and have the associated customer satisfaction. Some of the best food on the planet can be found in what we call "hole in the wall" restaurants, but oftentimes because of the location, a good deal of people choose to go elsewhere. A similar thing applies in the tech industry. Apple didn't just become a smash hit overnight. They had to earn it.

Last edited:

iN8ter

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
There are some of us who would not be caught dead spending one more cent on a Windows PC or tablet. Done. I hated Windows 8.1 with a passion and Windows 10, for all the hoopla, is nowhere near what a Mac is. So no, the Surface is simply not an option for those of us who are absolutely done with the hassles of PCs or anything Windows. My Lumia will remain my last Windows purchase. And that is all. Good riddance.

We aren't talking about opinions so I'm uninterested in the FUD. I have a Mac and Windows PC. I don't really prefer either. They're more similar than different IMHO.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
We aren't talking about opinions so I'm uninterested in the FUD. I have a Mac and Windows PC. I don't really prefer either. They're more similar than different IMHO.

Every post of yours has been an opinion. So what I posted had as much validity as what you posted. If mine is invalid so is yours. If mine is FUD so is yours. Unlike you, I prefer Mac. Which is why I'm here, on iMore, an Apple centric site.

Imagine that.

Illustrator Joe

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
The surface doesn't due to form factor. The iPad doesn't due to the OS just not cutting it for that kind of use, and being unable to run the applications.

An i5 Surface with 8GB RAM flies through Photoshop and Premiere as long as you aren't editing 4K.

Stop defining my statements. Ask if you're unsure what I intended to say.

I gave you my opinion based on my experience. You don't have to like it. Also saying the ipad doesn't cut it for "that kind of use" before it is even released is just silly (talk about FUD).
I follow a growing group of artist that have pieces soley done on current gen ipad and their work is professional quality. Even with the current app selection the work can be professional level. And who know what's in store in the near future since apple made an ipad with a stylus. Developers are going to all over that in my opinion.

Last edited:

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

Who says people want Macs? Windows is Windows and Windows 10 is good .

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Every post of yours has been an opinion. So what I posted had as much validity as what you posted. If mine is invalid so is yours. If mine is FUD so is yours. Unlike you, I prefer Mac. Which is why I'm here, on iMore, an Apple centric site.

Imagine that.

Apple centric ? Try Apple biased.... To a fault.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen