Is anyone concerned about the oleophobic coating on your screen wearing off or being cleaned off?

phlamethrowre

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Anyone here concerned about the oleophobic coating on your screen wearing off or being cleaned off? Do you use anything to clean the screen?

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Is anyone concerned about the oleophobic coating on your screen wearing off o...

Anyone here concerned about the oleophobic coating on your screen wearing off or being cleaned off? Do you use anything to clean the screen?

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums
Not concerned at all, I always use a screen protector. zNitro makes a tempered glass model for the IPad if you prefer glass.

3 f IV

Last edited:

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Screen coating

On a side note note, since the iPad has been introduced I've never heard or read of the oleophobic coating being rubbed off, let alone through regular use. Has a Google search revealed otherwise?

3 f IV

3 f IV

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I've heard it's rare but you can tell if it's worn/cleaned off. They say there are more obvious fingerprints everywhere.

Sent from one of my toys using Tapatalk.

Amamba

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
iPad screen is tough, and using protector guarantees you will be looking at scratches all the time - protector scratches. Better off with a nice cover & no screen protector.

I don't think coating is that easy to rub off.

I am using Zeiss wet pads to clean the screen, they were designed for expensive optics. Wal-Mart has them.

lui22

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
The iPad screen is not tough its thin and frail. Ive used a capactive stylus for writing notes in class. i use INKredible and ive worn down the Oliophobic layer on one area of the device. If i clean it you cant tell but the more my hands get on the device the easier it is to tell. Especially since my case has this layer that cleans the screen you can really tell. Ill post pictures later

taz323

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
The iPad screen is not tough its thin and frail. Ive used a capactive stylus for writing notes in class. i use INKredible and ive worn down the Oliophobic layer on one area of the device. If i clean it you cant tell but the more my hands get on the device the easier it is to tell. Especially since my case has this layer that cleans the screen you can really tell. Ill post pictures later

Have no screen protectors on any iDevices, use a stylus all the time and there's no prob with my screens.

lui22

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Have no screen protectors on any iDevices, use a stylus all the time and there's no prob with my screens.
Thats good! i may have gotten a one off again. i do only write in one single spot with my stylus so it could be that

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I know everyone's different but it just seems like it's easier to just use one of the many good screen protectors than to even have to consider the oleophobic coating even possibly being damaged.

Sent from 4 f IV 🔘

lui22

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I know everyone's different but it just seems like it's easier to just use one of the many good screen protectors than to even have to consider the oleophobic coating even possibly being damaged.

Sent from 4 f IV ��
Ive actually never had to worry about it till now. Heck i dont even feel like i needed it when i used my original iphone

Wow, that is pretty worn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Its only on that one like 2 inch by 4 spot that i use to write my notes for class. Ive had this particular ipad since a week after i returned my first one for having dead pixels a week after launch

Haalcyon

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Is anyone concerned about the oleophobic coating on your screen wearing off o...

Ive actually never had to worry about it till now. Heck i dont even feel like i needed it when i used my original iphone

When I had a Note 2 I trusted the "Gorilla Glass" to protect me from scratches. It failed. Made me realize that no matter how careful I may try to be a little protection was in order and worth it to me. I can't imagine the oleophobic coating being that...that...tough.

Sent from 4 f IV 🔘

Last edited:

lui22

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
Re: Is anyone concerned about the oleophobic coating on your screen wearing off o...

Went to the Apple store twice. The first Genius wiped it and said all gone. Didnt even listen. Then I went back a couple hours later another Genius saw that I came back and explored the situation more. Talked to another Genius who already knew what he was talking about like its happened before. The second Genius said I got this told me she'll be back. She came back with a replacement iPad.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods