Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Nanite

Question How can I download videos directly on rMini?

First, im not quite sure if this topic is in correct board, if not please kindly move it.

Honestly im an android user and this rMini is my first iDevice. Its still hard to adjust from android to iOS, since the latter offers limitations of modifying of files and performing some basic tasks. In my case im fond of downloading videos from different sites including youtube, Facebook and sometimes i do download Anime shows. Theres no doubt that MxTube is available on App store for youtube downloading an i do like that!, the same as for facebook i already searched for it and luckily theres an app that able to do so, but things arent the same for animes, i often use their Direct Links to grab the videos. I dont know how to download videos directly into my rMini using direct url's (.mkv, .mp4, .avi and so on..) when i entered it in Safari it doenst respond to download, instead it displays something like an error.

Im ready to JB my new rMini for the sake of this, but if theres an app that is capable to download direct links without JB is much better. Any help is much appreciated.

Thank You,
    Boks
    Last edited by Eu Gusto Sim; 01-22-2014 at 07:39 AM.

Global Posts
    11,766 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default re: How can I download videos directly on rMini?

Look in the AppStore for 3rd party media players that will handle the file formats you're interested in playing... or collect your media on a computer and use one of many apps out there to convert everything to an iTunes compatible format and import the media to your iTunes library and sync via iTunes.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
    Thanked by:
    Eu Gusto Sim (01-22-2014)
    iMore Intermediate

Default re: How can I download videos directly on rMini?

You can download larger files with a file manager like goodreader or documents by readdle. BUT it's not so convenient IMO. When I had an iPad I wanted to download everything directly but went back to my MacBook after some short time. I don't know if it's dramaticay different under iOS 7 but the app stopped downloading after 7 minutes of not being active.

So the way kch50428 might be right to sync your files over a computer. I can recommend iFlicks to convert/mux videos to a iOS friendly format with metadata.
    Thanked by:
    Eu Gusto Sim (01-22-2014)
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iMore Nanite

Default Re: How can I download videos directly on rMini?

Thank you for your wondeful recommendations, but somehow if i- jailbreak my iPad is it still the same story?
    iMore Intermediate

I could imagine then there is a way to find a workaround, but I didn't jailbreak in a long time so I don't know for certain
    Thanked by:
    Eu Gusto Sim (01-23-2014)
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    4,881 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by koerk View Post
    I don't know if it's dramaticay different under iOS 7 but the app stopped downloading after 7 minutes of not being active.
    Just wanted to highlight this and let you know that it is much different in iOS7. A properly coded app can access the new background transfer API and continue downloading or uploading until the file is finished.
    iMore Intermediate

Do you know which app does that? I tried said apps documents and goodreader, I think they do not.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    4,881 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by koerk View Post
    Do you know which app does that? I tried said apps documents and goodreader, I think they do not.
    I haven't used any particular ones, but this one claims to be able to download in the background with the iOS 7 APIs.