Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,201 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Why Apple let me down with the retina mini

When the iPad mini 1st generation was first announced, I thought the screen did look washed out. Was I disappointed? No because I knew it wasn't retina. Coming from a iPad 3, I was use to the color popping retina screen. It was a little tough to step back in screen quality for the mini but I loved the portability of the iPad mini. I did buy a Att iPad mini and became a big fan. I always kept telling myself that this would be the best tablet on the market once it came with that color popping retina display. Then came October 2013, two new iPads were announced including the mini with retina display. I kept thinking how will I decide between the two since the Air was so light. Since the Air was released first, I decided to buy that. I was ready for retina screen iPad now and didn't regret the purchase. Then with the mini with retina soft launching, I decided to buy that too. I knew I had space for a mini and Air in my life.... until I saw this washed out mini retina screen. I thought to myself this looks just like last years screen but just clearer. I was very upset as I felt Apple cut corners with this display. It's the worst retina screen Apple ever made. People say that it's not a flag ship device so it's ok. It's a retina iPad with all the latest processors and specs. Sorry but it's a flagship device. I was just very bummed as I was waiting for this exact iPad for one year to just be disappointed in the quality of this "retina display". So disappointed, I no longer care to sport two iPads and just want my money back.

I love Apple to death. I buy two iPhones at lunch every year. Most years I buy two iPads at launch. I spend too much money on a Apple products but it puts a smile on mine and wife's face so it's worth it. I know Apple is a great company and most product are the best in their category on the market. This was just my rant of why Apple let me down. I pay premium prices for their products and I expect quality and greatness. Just with this retina mini, I felt like I was short changed. Most people wont know the difference but most previous retina iPad users notice it as soon as they pick up. I'm betting we get the retina iPad mini display we have all been waiting for... next year.

Thanks for reading.

Global Posts
    21,585 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Why Apple let me down with the retina mini

Garz, you've been around iMore for quite a while, my friend, and your opinion, at least in my regard, is taken seriously. I wonder if that is the real reason for Apple's alleged "quiet release" of the rMini. If so, they should have waited until they got it right before releasing it. I will definitely be looking to see for myself how the rMini's screen look. Anyway, thanks for sharing your opinion, sir...
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,201 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    Garz, you've been around iMore for quite a while, my friend, and your opinion, at least in my regard, is taken seriously. I wonder if that is the real reason for Apple's alleged "quiet release" of the rMini. If so, they should have waited until they got it right before releasing it. I will definitely be looking to see for myself how the rMini's screen look. Anyway, thanks for sharing your opinion, sir...
    Dont get me wrong. It's still a great device. Much better than it was last year. But this wasn't the retina screen that I would have expected. Especially from the best tech company in the world, Apple. This device will still suit millions just fine.
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts

Do you prefer the ipad air then?

Global Posts
    21,585 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    Dont get me wrong. It's still a great device. Much better than it was last year. But this wasn't the retina screen that I would have expected. Especially from the best tech company in the world, Apple. This device will still suit millions just fine.
    I understand...
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,530 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.0.1

I completely understand, as I purchased both the iPad Air and the Retina iPad Mini. I too, expected a better screen. However, the screen is still very nice, just not as nice as it should be. I wanted a smaller tablet as well as the full size, and as it stands, the Retina iPad Mini's screen is at least good, and it's much faster than the previous version. Also, from what I've seen, it's still the best 8" tablet on the market. I'm still happy with mine, but again, I understand your disappointment.
    -I don't know who u are, I don't know what u want. If u are looking for a ransom, I can tell u I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills that I have acquired over the course of watching Chuck Norris in Walker, Texas Ranger, skills that make me a nightmare for people like u.

-I am not Neo, But I am still the One.

http://i44.tinypic.com/v6roqw.gif
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,201 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by anthman21 View Post
    Do you prefer the ipad air then?
    Yes I do. I really like the portability of the mini and that's why last year I switched to the mini. I leave the house with my iPad 5 days a week. I could have made room for both in my lifestyle. Since the Air is pretty darn light now, it will do just fine.
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,201 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by briankeith513 View Post
    I completely understand, as I purchased both the iPad Air and the Retina iPad Mini. I too, expected a better screen. However, the screen is still very nice, just not as nice as it should be. I wanted a smaller tablet as well as the full size, and as it stands, the Retina iPad Mini's screen is at least good, and it's much faster than the previous version. Also, from what I've seen, it's still the best 8" tablet on the market. I'm still happy with mine, but again, I understand your disappointment.
    And I understand your point too. Nothing wrong with you keeping it. It's still the best small tablet on the market.
    iMore Newbie

When the iPad mini 1st generation was first announced, I thought the screen did look washed out. Was I disappointed? No because I knew it wasn't retina. Coming from a iPad 3, I was use to the color popping retina screen. It was a little tough to step back in screen quality for the mini but I loved the portability of the iPad mini. I did buy a Att iPad mini and became a big fan. I always kept telling myself that this would be the best tablet on the market once it came with that color popping retina display. Then came October 2013, two new iPads were announced including the mini with retina display. I kept thinking how will I decide between the two since the Air was so light. Since the Air was released first, I decided to buy that. I was ready for retina screen iPad now and didn't regret the purchase. Then with the mini with retina soft launching, I decided to buy that too. I knew I had space for a mini and Air in my life.... until I saw this washed out mini retina screen. I thought to myself this looks just like last years screen but just clearer. I was very upset as I felt Apple cut corners with this display. It's the worst retina screen Apple ever made. People say that it's not a flag ship device so it's ok. It's a retina iPad with all the latest processors and specs. Sorry but it's a flagship device. I was just very bummed as I was waiting for this exact iPad for one year to just be disappointed in the quality of this "retina display". So disappointed, I no longer care to sport two iPads and just want my money back.

I love Apple to death. I buy two iPhones at lunch every year. Most years I buy two iPads at launch. I spend too much money on a Apple products but it puts a smile on mine and wife's face so it's worth it. I know Apple is a great company and most product are the best in their category on the market. This was just my rant of why Apple let me down. I pay premium prices for their products and I expect quality and greatness. Just with this retina mini, I felt like I was short changed. Most people wont know the difference but most previous retina iPad users notice it as soon as they pick up. I'm betting we get the retina iPad mini display we have all been waiting for... next year.

Thanks for reading.
    Please post pics comparing both device and color comparisons. I've yet to find a web site that has actually done a series of comparisons to back up their claim on the so called "washed out" color range. We've seen the "data" but no physically comparisons.
    iMore Beginner

I still think I got a great Product.. it's Great. Perhaps you just do heavier Graphics type work. I wouldn't trade my RMini for anything
  11. Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,201 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by toemasuxsempai View Post
    Please post pics comparing both device and color comparisons. I've yet to find a web site that has actually done a series of comparisons to back up their claim on the so called "washed out" color range. We've seen the "data" but no physically comparisons.
    Ill be honest, with me having a new born baby I won't be taking that time. Rene typed a article about this on iMore home page this past week.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    103 Global Posts

This is interesting.

Last year i tried to love the Mini, but one thing held me back, the SPEED. It was noticeably slow and thought that i would wait for the next gen.

Some people actually upgrade to the rMini for the speed instead for the screen just like i am and i think the 2 years processors upgrade is really worth it.

The only thing i don't like is when i hold the mini in portrait, the bottom left screen is noticeably yellower compare to the right bottom side. But i think i'll do fine.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    5,679 Global Posts

Default Why Apple let me down with the retina mini

I'll just echo what Garz said. I've been looking forward to the rMini and really tried to accept it. It is very sharp. Speedy. A great upgrade. But the colors are washed out a bit. Contrast is off as I've had problems reading it. The cellular one was ever so slightly more in weight that I found myself resting it on my lap which is too far away for the smaller screen.

I exchanged for Air and tried a smartcover. That's what I've been missing. I'll probably get a shell for back from belkin.

But yeah wow. What a change. Comics are easier to read. Everything pops. Sounds are louder. Mags are no problem. I'll just make it work for me. It's that good.

Best of all I don't have this sense of disappointment or compromise. That was bugging me with the rMini. And for the future, a larger iPhone will make the full size iPad make more sense with no need for a mini.
    Last edited by cardfan; 11-23-2013 at 09:50 AM.

Ill be honest, with me having a new born baby I won't be taking that time. Rene typed a article about this on iMore home page this past week.
    Congrats on the newborn.
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,201 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by taz323 View Post
    Congrats on the newborn.
    Thanks! He is 4 weeks old today!

Thanks! He is 4 weeks old today!
    They grow fast, enjoy
    Taz323

Community Rules & Guidelines
    App and Developer Rules & Guidelines
    Marketplace Rules & Guidelines
    iMore Intermediate

I suppose there's no point in arguing over taste or trying to justify personal feelings... which is why I will just say that I don't share your sentiments towards the ipad mini. Like not at all. I myself have been using the original Mini for a year and upgraded a couple of days ago and am absolutely psyched with the whole thing. To me it is a stunning display, absolute eye candy, and it is beyond me how people can bemoan a 'washed out' display. I mean come on, what does that even mean!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    523 Global Posts

Garz- first, congrats on your little guy!

Second, I respect and appreciate your post. A lot. Unlike some of the screen-washout threads, you have actually used both side-by side- with added compare/ contrast to original mini.

I was waiting for miniR for the same reasons you were. I tried the Air because it was *there* - and love it. Although I have never looked back, I still very much appreciate you sharing your experience. Hearing about your experience will save me from the magnetic pull of Apple Store and temptation to "just go look" when I am already in the mall for holiday stuff.

Thanks so much for a clear, strong (yet un-emotional), informative and insightful post. It's posts like yours that help to make iMore as great as it is. So again, thank you!
    Garz likes this.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

Well just like with last years mini this years sacrifices are made so they can "increase" it for next years model and lure people in to buy it. I agree with the price you are paying for these there is no excuse for this. Will it sell? yes just like the original mini did but that doesn't mean apple should have taken the easy road. Maybe next years retina mini will get it right.
    Thanked by:
    D1ES3L (11-30-2013)
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    950 Global Posts

Garz
    Thank you for your input. I don't won the original mini but I do own the air and the new RdMini.

Honestly I haven't found issues with washed out colors. Maybe I haven't paid enough attention. I have found others but I'm going to look for what you said to see if there is a difference on my devices.
    Nexus 5
    BlackBerry Q10
    BlackBerry Curve 3g
    BlackBerry Z10
    Apple iPhone 4
    Apple iPhone 2g
    Moto Defy XT
    Nokia 1616
    Samsung Propel
    LG Something
    HTC Evo Supersonic
    Apple iPhone 3GS
    Nokia 5530
    Sony Ericsson W200a
    LG Shine
    HTC XV6800
    UT-Starcom Apache
    Moto Razr
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lui22 View Post
    Garz
    Thank you for your input. I don't won the original mini but I do own the air and the new RdMini.

Honestly I haven't found issues with washed out colors. Maybe I haven't paid enough attention. I have found others but I'm going to look for what you said to see if there is a difference on my devices.
    I think most won't notice a difference unless holding both side by side, similar to how if you never used a retina iPad you didn't notice the mini screen being that bad.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    5,679 Global Posts

Most won't notice, I agree. I'd like to think though that most imore users aren't really a part of that "most" group. No, grandma won't see a difference but does this really make it ok for you or me? Is this the reasoning we will continue to use to justify shortcomings?

Let's hope awareness of this continues. Apple pays attention.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    17,073 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.2

Exactly besides just buying the 5S last week I bought the regular iPad Mini because i could not see any difference and perfectly happy with it.
    ~JAG~
    Member Of iMore & Mobile Nations!
    In Memory Of Steve Jobs ... Rest In iPeace

iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    231 Global Posts

I did a short online search of the screen problem and couldn't find much
    And when it was discussed, it seems like the reviewers were trying to say it wasn't that big of a deal - like cnet.com.

But when you're paying $700.00 plus for it, I would like for it to be excellent not mediocre.

Maybe, when more people have them in hand and more customers complain, Apple might do something - or at least admit that there is a problem.
    iMore Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by cyberpaw View Post
    I did a short online search of the screen problem and couldn't find much
    And when it was discussed, it seems like the reviewers were trying to say it wasn't that big of a deal - like cnet.com.

But when you're paying $700.00 plus for it, I would like for it to be excellent not mediocre.

Maybe, when more people have them in hand and more customers complain, Apple might do something - or at least admit that there is a problem.
    I paid $763.16 for the ipad mini with retnia and it's worth every penny. If you want "excellent" hardware than don't even bother with apple. Turn to android for they have the "best" specs but ****ty Eco system. The screen color range is taken way out of proportion and it's a way to lower apples stock. I've yet to see a complete and detailed comparisons of the screens resolution and it's color range compared with other tablets. The moment they run media when doing any media test, they've concluded it basically looks pretty much the same. The differences is so insignificant it's just plain silly people worry about what people have to say about a device rather than actually owning the device for a few days.
    Thanked by:
    Rocket_Girl (11-25-2013)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast