Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    814 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Exclamation Is Apple's iPad Mini Retina display problem serious?

is it GENUINE issue of ipad or have other issue

Ashish n. d.

Happy to be Part of iMore..
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    5,566 Global Posts

Default Re: Is Apple's iPad Mini Retina display problem serious?

There's no issues here that haven't always been present with the first Mini. The Mini retina is a big improvement and stellar upgrade from the first Mini. If anything the retina Mini mitigates most of the differences that the Air and Mini had last year.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    233 Global Posts

Global Posts
    3,392 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7

It all just depends on who you ask, basically.

I'm happy as hell with this thing.
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 5S 64GB
    Galaxy Note 3
    iPad Mini with Retina 32gb
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    814 Global Posts
    iOS Version

i appreciate with all answer n you i dont say that its really problem i just discuss it is it problem or have some understanding issue

Ashish n. d.

iMore Newbie

I went from an air to a mini retnia. There are no issues what so ever that I've come across yet. The news going about the screen color is taken way out of proportion. If you question it.. go to your nearest apple store and play with the device. Us telling you will all vary in opinion. I think the news is a way to bring the stock down. I've had an ipad 2, 3, 4, air and now mini with retina. I like the form factor.

As for a retention issue, I've went through the test 5 times, and haven't had an issue yet. For a company to make millions of devices in such a sort amount of time, I'd always assume some of the devices would be defective in some manner. Out if those millions of people, how many screens are actually bad?

With that in mind, why read an article that may hinder your purchase ability when you've never actually owned nor messed around with the device? Just buy it, and return it if it's bad for you. I guess I never understood why if a person wants something, ask people about it, go against any negative feedback and up buying the device anyways.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    842 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    IOS 5.0

I think it is all a matter of the individual looking at the screen. Some people are not as "picky" as others. I will not do the Image retention test because I do not want to find a perceived problem that does not occur in normal use. I tried it on my year old iPad 4 from work, and it had the screen retention, and I have never seen a trace of retention at all in heavy use on that device. I use my Mini pretty heavily, read on it, surf the web, look at photos, movies, etc. This so far has been great. I found the same with the few repeat trips to the Apple store looking at the Mini Retina display units and didn't see any issues on those either. I think the Media and Blogs hype problems to be more than they are sometimes, and I think this is that example.
    64GB Space Gray iPhone 5S on Verizon
    64GB Space Gray iPad Mini w/Retina on Verizon
    16GB Silver Nano
    Apple TV 2nd Gen
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    13" MacBook Pro Mid 2012

Like Watches? See my watch reviews at www.youtube.com/DougFNJ now in HD
    Karenkcoulter likes this.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    185 Global Posts

I have not notice! But you have to really study it with detail photos to be able to tell! I think pro photographers and pro artists might be able to tell one from another however. But for the rest of the 99%; there is not problem and you cannot tell the difference!
    iMore Newbie

I had a rMini, along with my wife, but I did return it for an Air. I'm just a amateur photographer, but if you look at photos of say a blue Iris - or a red Rose on my Air and then on my wife's mini, the difference is not subtle at all. It's strikingly obvious. On the other hand, look at a high definition photo of a white tulip - and the Mini looks as good, if not actually better....

I like the new Mini.....but true colour reproduction is important to me. Everything has it trade offs. If folks can't see a difference, then it matters not! I wouldn't want anyone to feel bad about their new iGadget, and only post to put the point that I'm not sure it's a storm in a tea cup at all. I think Apple should be up front about the difference. A near 40% difference in sRGB on a display marketed as premium is not fair, as far as I'm concerned.....and really, I have many high definition photos where the difference is nothing short of obvious. It mattered enough to me, to the point where I swapped my rMini out.

My wife? Can see the difference - doesn't care less, loves her rMini - so everyone is happy! I think the chap who writes all the reviews here put it very well. Pick what works for you - you can't really lose with either, but be aware of each device's limitations.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app
    Last edited by Scallops; 11-27-2013 at 11:49 AM.
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    814 Global Posts
    iOS Version

here some review check i read it :
    There have been two major complaints about the Retina display found in the iPad mini: image retention and muted colors. During regular use, we did not experience any severe instances of “ghosting” or screen burn-in. It could be that the issues with retention are isolated, but for us, at least, it was a non-issue.

As for muted colors, we’ll agree that the Retina display of the iPad mini does not produce a one-for-one reproduction of the Retina display of the iPad Air or other models, but to say this is a knock on the tablet would be nitpicking. HD video still looked great, apps and games appeared crisp and clear, and the overall experience was a definite upgrade over the original iPad mini.

Ashish n. d.

Thanked by:
    Rocket_Girl (11-29-2013)
    Karenkcoulter and ty99 like this.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scallops View Post
    Pick what works for you - you can't really loose with either, but be aware of each device's limitations.

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app
    very we'll said..
    iMore Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by luckie8 View Post
    very we'll said..
    Except for my typo!
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    806 Global Posts

The iPad minis biggest problem is extreme case of image retention and at the very least one dead pixel. That's bout it really

-Yar I be a Pirate according to Phil and Co. At AndroidCentral because I run 10.2.1 and sideload
    Nexus 5
    BlackBerry Q10
    BlackBerry Curve 3g
    BlackBerry Z10
    Apple iPhone 4
    Apple iPhone 2g
    Moto Defy XT
    Nokia 1616
    Samsung Propel
    LG Something
    HTC Evo Supersonic
    Apple iPhone 3GS
    Nokia 5530
    Sony Ericsson W200a
    LG Shine
    HTC XV6800
    UT-Starcom Apache
    Moto Razr
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,172 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by lui22 View Post
    The iPad minis biggest problem is extreme case of image retention and at the very least one dead pixel. That's bout it really

-Yar I be a Pirate according to Phil and Co. At AndroidCentral because I run 10.2.1 and sideload
    No dead pixels on mine
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    806 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    No dead pixels on mine
    I just got my new 32GB and none that I can report so far on this unit
    Nexus 5
    BlackBerry Q10
    BlackBerry Curve 3g
    BlackBerry Z10
    Apple iPhone 4
    Apple iPhone 2g
    Moto Defy XT
    Nokia 1616
    Samsung Propel
    LG Something
    HTC Evo Supersonic
    Apple iPhone 3GS
    Nokia 5530
    Sony Ericsson W200a
    LG Shine
    HTC XV6800
    UT-Starcom Apache
    Moto Razr
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    842 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    IOS 5.0

I've been very lucky with Apple screens. The one dead pixel I saw was years ago on the first generation iPod Touch. This is the best ipad I have had this far.
    64GB Space Gray iPhone 5S on Verizon
    64GB Space Gray iPad Mini w/Retina on Verizon
    16GB Silver Nano
    Apple TV 2nd Gen
    Apple TV 3rd Gen
    13" MacBook Pro Mid 2012

Like Watches? See my watch reviews at www.youtube.com/DougFNJ now in HD
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    52 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    No dead pixels on mine
    I got lucky with mine too..
    iMore Newbie

So far so good..I love my mini !
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

I think many of the "issues" you would only noticed if you used the two side by side. Same with last year most Didnt think the mini screen was that bad if they never used a retina display.
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

I've Jphad mine since the 15th, and I feel like the color gamut is a nonissue. I'm not a pro photographer, so my opinion only goes as far as a typical consumer.
    iMore Nanite

I had an iPad Air for two weeks, and ended up returning it for a rMini after I found myself reaching for my son's mini when sitting on the couch.

I've had it for a week and don't miss the Air at all. I don't feel like I'm settling for an inferior product or a screen that is not as nice. Would I notice a difference if I had them side by side running identical apps or pictures? I don't know--maybe. But, I don't really see that ever happening outside of benchmark tests or reviews. If someone is disappointed with their rMini, I feel their pain--it sucks being excited for something only to feel let down.

But, having owned both, I am still extremely happy with my purchase.
    Heisenberg and nikkisharif like this.
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

I purchased Inglorious Basterds in HD to watch on my new rMini. I've actually somehow never had the opportunity to see the film, and used this as a good opportunity to watch it on a beautiful retina display. Everything was good until...

Within 30 minutes, after the first chapter of the movie where not much movement is happening with the two characters conversing, the more the image on the screen changed, the more my screen would flicker! Not flicker on and off, but the colours would change, almost as if I turned the brightness above and beyond what is currently capable and then back down to normal setting. As such, every scene change, which of course is often, my screen flickers the colours accordingly. I could barely focus on the movie!

Is anybody else having this ridiculous issue? I've heard issues with the iPad mini retina screen, and if this is one of them, I'd rather return it or exchange it, unless it's a software problem others are having for videos on their iPad.

Thoughts?
    iMore Newbie

I got mine yesterday, I compared the mini w/ retina to the Air, and yes, there IS a difference, but it's not a problem IMO. it's the same difference between the mini 1 and the iPad 2. I love my mini, it's a MAJOR upgrade from my iPad 2.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    593 Global Posts

I guess I don't understand what I am missing. I just left an electronics place here in Dubai where I looked at the Air and the rMini side-by-side. Other than the physical differences in size they looked the same.
    I could paint a masterpiece with all the colors of your ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjppc View Post
    I purchased Inglorious Basterds in HD to watch on my new rMini. I've actually somehow never had the opportunity to see the film, and used this as a good opportunity to watch it on a beautiful retina display. Everything was good until...

Within 30 minutes, after the first chapter of the movie where not much movement is happening with the two characters conversing, the more the image on the screen changed, the more my screen would flicker! Not flicker on and off, but the colours would change, almost as if I turned the brightness above and beyond what is currently capable and then back down to normal setting. As such, every scene change, which of course is often, my screen flickers the colours accordingly. I could barely focus on the movie!

Is anybody else having this ridiculous issue? I've heard issues with the iPad mini retina screen, and if this is one of them, I'd rather return it or exchange it, unless it's a software problem others are having for videos on their iPad.

Thoughts?
    I watch movies on my rMini all the time & I'm not having any issues with the colors flickering. If I were you, I would make an appointment at the Genius Bar. You may have gotten a defective device, which isn't that uncommon. I hope your issue gets resolved soon!!

Sent from my iPad using
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast