Is the iPad mini with retina display really worth it?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
With making that statement it brings up and opens the perfect question for me....Knowing that I have told you I have given away my iPad 2 some time ago and have been without a pd for some time and miss it, Now I want to and need to look at a mini purely for monetary reasons. having said that, Would you suggest I go to the rmini even though a bit more money but with vast improvements or save the $100.00 difference and go with the original mini?

Assume for your answer all things are equal with me as you in seeing things on that size screen and your other reasons. Thanks for any help anyone else wants to chime in to help me as well. :)

I would definitely fork over the extra $100 and get the iPad Mini with retina display if I were in your position. Having said that, if you were using a non-retina iPad Mini, I'd say save your money and continue sung what you have if it filled your tablet needs, but since you don't and are in the market for a Mini, I recommend getting the latest versin.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I'd pay the extra $100 for it. All my mobile devices are high pixel density, and when I use one that isn't, it's noticeable, and feels...low tech, for lack of a better term. I know it isn't of course, and just a few years ago we were marveling at how great those screens looked. The retina displays just look better, and for me, that's enough to justify the extra $100. Maybe I'm just a ppi snob :nerd:

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
really hard to say in advance. I'm gonna have to lift it up myself and see. I've been waiting for the mini2 very long, but I now see two obstacles that might actually make me not get it: 1) I dig my original iPad Mini still wayyy too much to just give it up... realistically it totally serves all purposes. and 2) the iPad Air coming this Friday already and due to its smaller size and weight all of a sudden intriguing me as well. Same here, I will have to inspect that one this weekend and then make up my mind. If I am to overcome both 1) and 2) it will be iPad Mini retina, if not... it's either staying with my old buddy or the Air.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
The retina Mini advanced two generations not just one. A5 to a 64 bit A7 and M7 co-processor. In addition, it goes from the one of the worst screens on a 7" tablet to possibly the best screen that can be found on one. Then there's the other things such as improved cameras (improved sensor but otherwise same specs), double the RAM, and better LTE. The Mini 1 with its older processor already struggles with iOS 7 and will have even more problems with iOS 8 making for a limited useful life.

If we can justify paying an extra hundred to simply double the storage on mobile devices, then this 100 dollar difference is a nobrainer. Even for a child, I wouldn't consider the A5 Mini (unless you find a better refurb or used price). This is almost as bad a value as the ipad 2.

Sure, not everyone has that extra hundred to spend. But it doesn't mean they should get the worse product instead. I'd recommend waiting til that extra hundred can be budgeted in.

djstarion

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
I personally wouldn't upgrade to the retina mini from my current mini, only because I'm extremely happy with it. If I were to upgrade though I would actually get an Air, because it fixed a lot of my gripes with the original iPads, hence why I got a mini.

I do think it's worth it though, not for the retina display, but the fact that it got that HUGE spec bump to bring it in line with the Air.

jodihansen

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I think it's worth upgrading to an iPad mini with retina from an iPad mini. I will be jumping up two processor generations, getting a sharper resolution screen, 1GB ram (to stop the webpage refresh) and 128GB (twice my current memory).
My ideal features in a new mini were retina screen, 128GB & bring the specs up in line with the larger iPad...everything on my wish list was granted. However, this then poses the issue of whether I still want a mini after the bigger iPad lost some size & weight. I think yes. I'm grabbing an Air on Friday for my husband & that will help me decide if I want that or the new mini. I'm leaning towards the new mini, but it is tempting to get an Air when it's in front of me rather than wait for a mini...especially when rumors also state that it could be hard to get at launch.
Anyway, (I think) my plan is to get the iPad mini 2 to use as my main iPad, keep my iPad 3 at home for myself for movies & times I want a larger screen, get my husband the Air and upgrade my daughter's iPad from iPad 1 to my iPad mini.

Speedygi

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It's in every way better than the original iPad Mini and there's really no question that its worth it for upgraders and first time users. However, if you just got the original iPad Mini within a few months, you will be hard pressed to really get a good percentage of your money back on a resale...

Chris Parsons

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
Chis given the items that iOS 7 has such a larger fonts, Bold, Contrast and such do you not think that this would be enough using these features to compensate and help the fonts of the new OS?
I am asking this so I myself has the opinions of others in the worth of saving the extra money that the new mini retina went up.

For a lot of folks the original mini will be fine with iOS 7.. I'm not saying no one should ever purchase it, it's still great. For anyone looking to save some money, the original is ideal especially with the stuff iOS 7 has in there for adjustments of fonts and such. It's really just a 'me' thing. I noticed it and now i can't unsee it. I think for most people if they never used mini before iOS 7 and after iOS 7, they'll never really notice the difference and be just as happy with it as I was pre iOS 7.

ucfgrad11

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Definitely. $70 isn't that much. Plus you're jumping up TWO generations of Apple processors and a much better screen. It's def worth it. Only thing I wish is that they would bump up the base model to at 32GB. Or at least 20. What is Apple's obsession with multiples of 8?

CSI Guy

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Yes the new iPad mini with Retina Display would be worth it to me. I have vision problems and the Retina Display is easier for me to read. Also I find that the 1st gen of iPad mini is rather slow so the bump in speed would be really nice.

bujin

May 15, 2009
Visit site
I'm happy with my current Mini, and it's not worth the cost to me. However, if there was Touch ID, I'd jump in a heartbeat. I want Touch ID on my car, my house door, my fridge....everywhere!

JaenelleMasen

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm happy with my current Mini, and it's not worth the cost to me. However, if there was Touch ID, I'd jump in a heartbeat. I want Touch ID on my car, my house door, my fridge....everywhere!

I agree with you. I want Touch ID on all of my devices too. I am going to hold on to my current ipad until Apple releases Touch ID on an ipad.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
This is my take on it. I love my iPad Mini, and I'm not going to upgrade. HOWEVER if I were choosing today I would opt to spend the extra 100, for the retina and beefier specs. BUT it's not enough to make me upgrade. Perhaps at Mini 3rd Gen!

I lied! I just bought an iPad air!

LCW

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I've got the original Mini and was/am seriously considering the upgrade to Retina )Mini or Air honestly). But the more I ponder the more I think it's not quite worth it to me just yet. Love my Mini for the size and portability. Screen isn't the greatest but gotten used to it. I made the mistake of getting a "first gen" Retina device - aka the iPad 3 - and regretted it for its poor battery life and slowish graphics, and even more when it was killed off 7 months after its release, I also regret getting the "first gen" MacBook Pro Retina - battery life again sucks. Looking I should have kept the iPad 2 at the time and avoided the 3.

While the Mini Retina is certainly more "mature" with seemingly good battery life and A7 chip, and a sharp Retina display, I'm a little gun shy about getting a Retina Mini that's in the same case as my current Mini, weighs a bit more, and surely next year's Mini "3" should be truly spectacular and worth waiting for. If anything I'm more tempted by the Air right now .

NFLPLAYBOOK

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think the A7 makes it worth it more than the retina display. I found the original too laggy for my liking. I wasn't considering on getting another one but the new specs have me reconsidering buying one now. It's not a for sure thing but at least it's back on my short list of devices.

smileyboy

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site
I've used a mini everyday since release day. I use it to annotate PDF docs, read books in iBooks and I'm the 1 person who uses newsstand 😁 and I TRY to play games, like Civ Rev, KOTOR and Real Racing 3 and XCOM.
The PDF apps open slow and render texts slow ( I've used every one of the popular annotating apps btw....). The games shutdown quite a bit, so I've given up trying to do that.
Also, the keyboard doesn't keep up with my typing..... I want from a iPad 3 to a mini btw....

The Mini works great for those that don't use the power a full size iPad would provide.
The fact that Apple made the iPad all about size now, is huge. Both the Retina and the A7 are huge. The processor because now everything will have the power it needs and the screen..... Now I can finally read on it!

If it came with just the A7, I would have upgraded because I need the power and love the screen size. If it came with the retina screen and the A6... I would have upgraded for the screen and the A6. Basically I settled for a small iPad 2 and I knew that. But the upgrades huge.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77