Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Harry Wild
  • 1 Post By taz323
  • 1 Post By meashishnd
  • 1 Post By Peligro911
  • 1 Post By Irish Rose
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    2,772 Global Posts

Default How to transfer everything from iPad Mini to the new iPad Mini Retina

When we get our new iPad Mini Retina, how do we get all apps and data transferred from the old iPad Mini to the new unit? It is being traded in to Radio Shack at the time of purchase. Thanks in advance.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    148 Global Posts

Default Re: How to transfer everything from iPad Mini to the new iPad Mini Retina

Use the iTunes app from your computer since everything is keep there - it the master storage for your mobile devices.
    Thanked by:
    Gearheadaddy (10-23-2013)
    Gearheadaddy likes this.

Default Re: How to transfer everything from iPad Mini to the new iPad Mini Retina

Hi, you can transfer from one to the other using iTunes or using the iCloud .
    Thanked by:
    Gearheadaddy likes this.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    808 Global Posts
    iOS Version

if u have wifi around you icloud is best options to restore and if u wana try to manually try itune on mac-windows but icloud is too best options for that

Ashish n. d.

Happy to be Part of iMore..
    Thanked by:
    Gearheadaddy likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,734 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Quote Originally Posted by Gearheadaddy View Post
    When we get our new iPad Mini Retina, how do we get all apps and data transferred from the old iPad Mini to the new unit? It is being traded in to Radio Shack at the time of purchase. Thanks in advance.
    When you set up new device just restore from iCloud backup easy
    Thanked by:
    Gearheadaddy likes this.
    iMore Expert

Connect your iPad ( old one) to iTunes. Back up. Then get your new one.
    Then re store from back up
    Thanked by:
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

I use iCloud for all of my transfers. It's usually pretty quick and I've never had an issue with getting all of my content moved over.
    nikkisharif likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rose View Post
    I use iCloud for all of my transfers. It's usually pretty quick and I've never had an issue with getting all of my content moved over.
    Agreed...I always restore from iCloud!
    iMore Newbie

What's the difference ? Wouldn't it be better to do a clean install like for an iPhone ?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    519 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rose View Post
    Weirdly, mine failed w/ iCloud, so I backed up to iTunes and retorted that way with no problem. worth having it backed up both ways just before trade- JUST in case...
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Yptcn View Post
    What's the difference ? Wouldn't it be better to do a clean install like for an iPhone ?
    If you were having issues with your prior iPhone, sure. Otherwise a clean install isn't necessary, IMHO.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_Girl View Post
    Weirdly, mine failed w/ iCloud, so I backed up to iTunes and retorted that way with no problem. worth having it backed up both ways just before trade- JUST in case...
    Sorry to hear that iCloud failed for you. Good thing you had an iTunes backup in this case. I've been lucky enough with all of my iDevices that my iCloud backups have always worked great so far. I guess this is why I don't even bother connecting my iDevices with iTunes anymore. I might at some point, though, just in case like you said.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    599 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_Girl View Post
    I transferred from my iPhone to my RdMini and it failed. My photos didn't transfer nor my iMessages nor my preferences. Not even my apps....

I'm thinking wiping and doing an iCloud restore
    iMore Nanite

I didn't have trouble transferring my data from the Cloud BUT there was trouble for the new owner of my old mini due to me not canceling the Find My iPad app.
    He had to contact me to get the issue resolved.