Heavier iPad Mini or a Lighter iPad 5 ?

RaiderWill

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Now that Apple has a tentative Quarter 3 release timetable out for the release of the Mini 2 and iPad 5 which path would you take for you next upgrade? I think the general consensus is that the Mini 2 will be receiving it's much anticipated Retina Display.. But it will have to come with a cost.. In the form of a Higher Capacity Battery to push those Retina pixels and maintain the current 9-10 hour average usage the current Mini is getting.. That's going to most likely mean added weight and bulk to the current chassis and maybe even a slightly Bigger chassis to house this battery..

But wait ! you know the 5th Gen iPad is going to get slimmer and lighter right? Maybe loose a 1/2 pound..and get closer to 1lb.. down from it's current 1.44lbs
and if the Mini 2 has to gain a few ounces ( and it will with an upgrade in battery capacity ) say up from it's current .68lb to .75-80lb they are going to be very close in weight..

Which way would you go? and why?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I would go with the mini simply for the smaller form factor. No matter how much thinner and lighter they make the larger ipad, it is still difficult to try and use one handed where as the ipad mini is much easier to use one handed simply due to the smaller screen and overall size. Plus the mini is pretty light as it is, a few more ounces isn't going to make much of a difference IMO. Plus I am sure apple is going to want and try and keep it as thin and light as possible, even with the retina so dont be surprised if they somehow manage to keep it the same size as current ipad mini.

RaiderWill

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
No way they are within a quarter pound if each other. No way.

I Know Garz.. But think about it.. The Mini simply cannot get a Retina display without a Bigger Battery as well as the A6X CPu / Quad GPu.. You need that battery power to push Retina Level pixels.. ( I am 90% sure they will go 1600*1200 = 4:3 ) and Maintain 9-10hrs of usage..

The 5th-Gen iPad HAS to not only Look Thinner with a Mini styled frame.. But it HAS TO FEEL Lighter than the 4th-Gen.. Otherwise it will be considered "Half-Baked" the reason the Mini is selling so well is it's weight.. you can't help but be impressed by it.. Just trimming the bezels and the frame down will shave at least 1/4 pound.. :)

RaiderWill

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Well,
I may have started this Thread a month or so early..

But it looks like I was pretty much on Target.

Behold... what looks to be one of the new shells for the iPad Mini 2 and it's certainly thicker.. hinting that there's a bigger battery for a Retina Display..

And... what looks to be THE new shell for the redisigned iPad 5.... Slimmer... Thinner... Shorter..

I don't work for anybody :) so this is ALL SPECULATION ON MY PART.. but, I believe the iPad 5 is IMMINENT... in 60-90 Days

image.jpg

image.jpg

So.. get ready because the title of this thread says it all..

Heavier "Retina" Mini or Lighter iPad 5? Here.. They.. Come.

Last edited:

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I think I'll wait for the iPad Mini 8 when it is a thin, bendable, retina display with a octo-core CPU and iOS 14 :0) hey I'm a dreamer!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2