Will the iPad Mini 4 suit me?

anon(9637269)

May 23, 2016
Visit site
Hi!

I am considering the iPad Mini 4 for Christmas. I am intently looking at this due to its portability and my observed decreased interest and activities in "complex computing" and other unnecessary stuff (like tweaking the OS, themes, whatsoever). I used to have an iPad Mini 1st gen, so I have an idea of an iPad's capabilities, but I know the 4th gen packs on totally upgraded internals, so I thought I should probably consult those who have them. So my primary questions are, will the iPad Mini 4 replace my laptop in performing the following (or at least be par with my laptop):

1) Office and Google applications (Docs, Presentations, Sheets);
2) Web browsing (like 8+ tabs open);
3) Multimedia consumption (576p-720p videos, lossless audio); and
4) All these in multitasking mode?

I tried to look into YouTube, but I found nothing specifically touching these activities and I tried to spend sometime in an Apple authorized store but I don't think that was enough.

I appreciate all comments, and thank you in advance.

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Nope. I have an iPad Mini 4 and a MacBook Pro and, even if my Mini 4 performs really well, it's nowhere close to par with my MacBook.

The iPad is mobile. So everything is "mobile spec'd" like cpu speed, less RAM etcetera.
Maaaaaybe an iPad Pro, but even there. This is mobile apps VS computer programs. Entirely different league!

evangel77

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
I got the feeling u wanted travel light, but I don't think that's a good idea... iPad Mini (4) simply can't replace your laptop. Maybe it just fine with web browsing and multimedia. But yeah maybe iPad Pro can, if we are talk about capabilities only... despite compatibilities from any kind of app u are gonna use.

http://www.imore.com/ipad-multitasking

Last edited:

anon(9637269)

May 23, 2016
Visit site
Thank you very much guys, your comments are invaluable. I think I should look somewhere else if I want to do Word Processing and other office related tasks. And if I indeed still get the mini 4 then my expectations are now leveled off. Thank you very much.