Why didn't they add the A8X chip?

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I was going to consider buying the mini 3 because of form factor but with the A7 I am just going to buy the Air 2 now. Curious as to why keep it the same as the 2 but add Gold color and Touch ID

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I was going to consider buying the mini 3 because of form factor but with the A7 I am just going to buy the Air 2 now. Curious as to why keep it the same as the 2 but add Gold color and Touch ID

My personal take is that we could be at EOL for the iPad Mini.

Other possible reasons could be heat and battery life. Remember, Apple is obsessed with thinness, and adding that processor to the Mini would have required more battery power, which translates to a thicker device.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site

Other possible reasons could be heat and battery life. Remember, Apple is obsessed with thinness, and adding that processor to the Mini would have required more battery power, which translates to a thicker device.

True I didn't think of that. Would of liked it but oh well Happy I got my iPad Air 2 128GB pre-ordered :) I love that apple gave us more memory for cheaper this time around. I thought $799 for the 128GB is a bit 2 much imo

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site

Could have been an iPad 3 situation again. If they would have actually made the Mini 3 to be thicker, there would have been an uproar.

Flow39

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I was thinking the same, now I'm going with an Air 2 Space Gray 64 GB. I would love the Mini to be the same as the Air like last year, but unfortunately it isn't.

shivamanuja

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
I wanted to buy ipad mini 3 but now i will buy ipad mini 2 at cheap price, i thought after showing ipad air 2 specs n all, apple will launch same specs ipad mini 3 with a8 processor and same thin body but they added only gold color and touch id, thats not good, ipad mini 3 is flop because paying extra only for gold color and touch id is of no use, better to buy ipad mini 2.

impaler

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
My take is they are trying to push people to the Air 2, as it's a higher-margin product. I think Apple was surprised how popular the mini was with consumers, and they are considered low margin. This puts the "premier" product as the Air, and the second banana as the mini. Kind of the same approach they're taking with iPhone 6 and 6+.

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
My take is they are trying to push people to the Air 2, as it's a higher-margin product. I think Apple was surprised how popular the mini was with consumers, and they are considered low margin. This puts the "premier" product as the Air, and the second banana as the mini. Kind of the same approach they're taking with iPhone 6 and 6+.

Yes but they updated the 6 with more just a color scheme and touch id. The iphone 6 has the same cpu, upgraded screen size at 4.7, ios 8 , NFC with apple Pay and an updated camera but without OIS?

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I'm curious as to whether this is exactly the same A7 as the one found on the mini 2 and the iPhone 5S, or whether they sort-of upgraded the A7 to the iPad Air, which if I'm not mistaken is slightly better.

Ryan Estrada

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I feel Apple held back because the IPad Mini 2 became wildly popular and cannibalize IPad Air sales when it came out last year. If you notice at quarterly earnings when they announced IPad sales they never broke out by which model. They held back because they make more money selling Air models over mini's.

shorski

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
I feel Apple held back because the IPad Mini 2 became wildly popular and cannibalize IPad Air sales when it came out last year. If you notice at quarterly earnings when they announced IPad sales they never broke out by which model. They held back because they make more money selling Air models over mini's.

Just my thought too. With the specs of both new ipads, i see folks going more for the Air than the mini.

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Exactly how I feel. Imagine if Apple released this year an IPad Mini Air with A8X and the same features as the Air. Which would you take?
Actually I was kinda glad they crippled the mini 3, I was given a mini 2 just a week or two before the mini 3 was announced. Maybe another reason for not giving the mini 3 was having to do with Apple not wanting to have a powerful mini 3 take away from the new 6 plus, so people don't choose the mini over the plus because of the processor, as the plus is a fairly new product?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

I think they want to differentiate between the mini and air more. Assuming they make more off of the air, they want to push people to that. That and with the 5.5 iPhone 6 plus, you could see the mini getting the short end of the stick from now on.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Could have been an iPad 3 situation again. If they would have actually made the Mini 3 to be thicker, there would have been an uproar.

I don't think there would be as much of an uproar as you think. Would have been less than them just adding touch ID like they did.

bembol

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Air is Apple's iPad flagship so I'm not surprised.

The beauty is I never bought the Mini so I had no problems buying the Mini 3.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Closingracer

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
Actually I was kinda glad they crippled the mini 3, I was given a mini 2 just a week or two before the mini 3 was announced. Maybe another reason for not giving the mini 3 was having to do with Apple not wanting to have a powerful mini 3 take away from the new 6 plus, so people don't choose the mini over the plus because of the processor, as the plus is a fairly new product?
Yes but for a person with no connection to Apple and just wants an iPad like me who has a windows laptop, and a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 who wants an iPad the only choice is am iPad Air 2 if you want the latest specs. I love the air 2 but sometimes I want an 8 inch tablet

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77