Text Android Phones from Ipad Mini2? I have wi-fi + data so why can't I? Any advice?

jessica_lynn9474

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Good day everyone! Just getting used to the new iPad Mini2 which is not hard at all. It's such a treat! :D

I have noticed though that I cannot text or receive texts from Android users. I can make calls though.

I was thinking that since I have the Wi-Fi + data version of the mini that I should be able to communicate with Android users via text.

• Is this so?
  • Is there something in the settings that I need to switch?

Looking forward to your input!

Thanks in advance!

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Good day everyone! Just getting used to the new iPad Mini2 which is not hard at all. It's such a treat! :D

I have noticed though that I cannot text or receive texts from Android users. I can make calls though.

I was thinking that since I have the Wi-Fi + data version of the mini that I should be able to communicate with Android users via text.

• Is this so?
  • Is there something in the settings that I need to switch?

Looking forward to your input!

Thanks in advance!

What app are you using to make calls?

I don't think you can send text/SMS from an iPad because it requires a voice/texting plan from a carrier; not data. You will need to use a third party app for messaging such as WhatsApp, Google Hangouts, FB Messenger, etc.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
What app are you using to make calls?

I don't think you can send text/SMS from an iPad because it requires a voice/texting plan from a carrier; not data. You will need to use a third party app for messaging such as WhatsApp, Google Hangouts, FB Messenger, etc.
The iOS Message app will work fine to send SMS messages via an iPhone from an iPad or even a MacBook or iMac when properly configured. No additional 3rd party app is needed.