IPad mini 2 iOS 8.1?

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Thought I'd make a dedicated thread to iPad mini 2 performance on iOS 8.1, don't think there's a dedicated thread for it yet.
Downloaded pretty much as soon as I saw the update was available, used the OTA method, which took in my estimation about an hour, although I didn't time. Installation process itself went okay, although the download finished about the same time as my first gen mini, which started maybe five minutes later. However there is the smaller update size, so I guess that's understandable.
First thing I noticed after booting up, widgets took a while longer to load. I use the Weather Underground, iMonitor, Trainers and Tomorrow widgets. Another thing, the App Store wouldn't connect at first, I always got a "Couldn't Connect To App Store" error message. I didn't get that on my first gen. Thought a reboot would help, and indeed it did. However I soon encountered another problem where the Swype keyboard didn't automatically minimize after typing, and the button wouldn't work either. Switching to the default keyboard simple brought up a frozen keyboard, which wad only fixed by using a keyboard shortcut on my keyboard that brought up the keyboard, this time a responsive one, from which I could minimize the virtual keyboard. This was fixed by repairing the keyboard. However I do seem to be getting some scrolling issues when typing in a text field on a Bluetooth keyboard, a problem that has to be guided by paying Tab to switch fields or switching out of the tab then switching back.
That aside, 8.1 did seem to offer a performance boost. I found I was able to keep a few more tabs open working on Safari (Before the update I could keep about 3 to 4, whereas just a whole ago I was able to keep seven tabs of MacRumors and iMore open and switch flawlessly with the Kindle app. The iMonitor widget with all apps closed seems to give a higher free Ram value than on 8.0.2 as well. Scrolling doesn't stutter as much anymore, and my observation with the Swype keyboard is that it did feel a bit more responsive to me.
Overall 8.1 is a pretty good update so far for the iPad mini 2. There is that text field bug, which I only encountered once and haven't since replicated so I hope that's just a one off.

So what do you guys think of iOS 8.1 on the iPad mini 2 so far?

Last edited:

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I think iOS 8.1 is a solid update, and although I do not have an iPad Mini 2, it's working well thus far on my iPad Mini.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2