Worth getting right now?

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
So, I'm interested in picking up a iPad mini retina because I'm finding my iPad 4 to be too bulky and heavy to use when reading in bed and I just think I prefer the smaller size for most things. However is now a safe time to buy? With WWDC coming up is apple probably going to announce a new one? And would a new mini probably even offer much improvement over the existing mini with retina?

Also, does anyone know how well reading comics off comixology is on the retina mini?

I think I still want to keep my iPad 4 for comics and different productivity things.

himmatsj

May 5, 2014
Visit site
Build quality wise, I am absolutely satisfied with the Mini Retina.

However, performance is not particularly brilliant. If you want a decently performing device for at least 2 years, best you wait a while more. There are two reasons:

1) Limited RAM currently. iOS 7 is a RAM hog. On Android, I can open the max tabs in the default browser (16 or 20) without them needing to reload when I switch back and forth. On iOS, even switching between just two tabs requires them to continuously reload. I always thought that iOS had better RAM management, but not anymore (both my Android tablet and this have 1GB RAM)

2) Weak 64-bit processor. It is just a mere 1.3GHz processor now. Word is, the next 64 bit processor from Apple will be 2.3-2.4GHz, which is a HUGE improvement.

Again, build and design wise, the Mini Retina is a pure win. But the less said about performance the better. It is not all that much better than my 3 year old iPad 2.

koerk

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
I am so tired of all this spec war. Why would you want a 2+ ghz CPU in a tablet if it runs like hell half the power.

What do the quad and octa core CPUs bring to the table?

In my opinion you should be fine getting the rMini now if you don't mind a newer model being released in a few month. If you like it now, get it if you can afford it.

himmatsj

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I am so tired of all this spec war. Why would you want a 2+ ghz CPU in a tablet if it runs like hell half the power.

What do the quad and octa core CPUs bring to the table?

In my opinion you should be fine getting the rMini now if you don't mind a newer model being released in a few month. If you like it now, get it if you can afford it.

Dude, I got my Mini Retina like 3 days ago. If indeed I bothered about spec wars I would have bought a 2.5GHz quad-core Android tablet, or waited for the next Mini Retina with the much improved specs. Fact is I looked over mere specs and took the plunge.

All I am sharing with him is my first hand experience. When I bought the Mini Retina, I expected better. Like I said above, RAM management, performance and OS smoothness used to be the hallmark of Apple/iOS. But these are exactly the stuff that has had me disappointed.

And I was also sharing info based on the iPhone's reported spec list. A jump from 1.3GHz to 2.3GHz, and 1GB to 2GB of RAM is no small joke.

My humble iPad 2 with half the RAM and less than half the processing power used to run rings around my Tegra 3 tablet, so don't lecture me on specs. I know how they mean nothing, especially cross platform.

PS: To clarify myself, these performance issues are not chronic and probably irrelevant to the average Joe. It's just me personally...I expected nothing less than absolute perfection based on Apple's track record. It's up to you at the end of the day. If you are very nit-picky about performance, wait. Otherwise, get it.

RavenSword

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Dude, I got my Mini Retina like 3 days ago. If indeed I bothered about spec wars I would have bought a 2.5GHz quad-core Android tablet, or waited for the next Mini Retina with the much improved specs. Fact is I looked over mere specs and took the plunge.

All I am sharing with him is my first hand experience. When I bought the Mini Retina, I expected better. Like I said above, RAM management, performance and OS smoothness used to be the hallmark of Apple/iOS. But these are exactly the stuff that has had me disappointed.

And I was also sharing info based on the iPhone's reported spec list. A jump from 1.3GHz to 2.3GHz, and 1GB to 2GB of RAM is no small joke.

My humble iPad 2 with half the RAM and less than half the processing power used to run rings around my Tegra 3 tablet, so don't lecture me on specs. I know how they mean nothing, especially cross platform.

PS: To clarify myself, these performance issues are not chronic and probably irrelevant to the average Joe. It's just me personally...I expected nothing less than absolute perfection based on Apple's track record. It's up to you at the end of the day. If you are very nit-picky about performance, wait. Otherwise, get it.

Is the new iPhone rumored to have 2gbs of ram?

himmatsj

May 5, 2014
Visit site
That is a given, No question about it (no way Apple is sticking at 1GB with all the RAM limiting walls around iOS 7, plus Android is going to 4GB).

koerk

Dec 1, 2013
Visit site
Regarding the smoothness of the OS, I doubt that double the specs would make a difference by themselves. I think it's more on the software side than hardware.

Again, not talking about ram management in regard of safari tabs, for example.

Celandine

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I picked up the mini retina the other day as an upgrade from the original mini. I knew there was a chance of a new mini coming out this fall, but honestly, I loved the original and had zero problems with it; browser was quick, os was smooth, speakers were fantastic. I'm not one to overload my mini with tons of games as I mostly use it for reading..comics, books, magazines and only download what I will read at the moment. Performance seems just as fantastic as the original and so far I have zero complaints.

I heard the next mini might have the fingerprint sensor like my 5s. I do like this feature, but it's not that big a deal to use a passcode either as I've been using this on my iPod 5 since day one. Easy to disable as well.

OP, If you find a good deal somewhere (or saved up all those pennies for months like me) I believe it would be a great purchase.

tigerinexile

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
We expect the iPad refresh to come in the fall, no?

Provided that you want 2 years' use out of the current Retina Mini, now is as good a time as any... Otherwise, it's a six-month wait for the fall model. (Announced in September, then wait for supplies to populate, etc., etc.)

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
So, I'm interested in picking up a iPad mini retina because I'm finding my iPad 4 to be too bulky and heavy to use when reading in bed and I just think I prefer the smaller size for most things. However is now a safe time to buy? With WWDC coming up is apple probably going to announce a new one? And would a new mini probably even offer much improvement over the existing mini with retina?

Also, does anyone know how well reading comics off comixology is on the retina mini?

I think I still want to keep my iPad 4 for comics and different productivity things.

Highly unlikely new iPads at WWDC. We are probably 6 months away for new iPads releasing.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
The 5S, iPad Air, and iPad Mini with retina are ridiculously overpowered. And I say that because they're pretty damn future proof. No reason why you shouldn't go for it now. It will take more than Touch ID on the next gen iPad Mini to make me upgrade. I've literally had zero problems with it since November other than the safari crash that 7.1 fixed. You won't see the next one until November.