Is Apple's iPad Mini Retina display problem serious?

bassmonkeee

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
I had an iPad Air for two weeks, and ended up returning it for a rMini after I found myself reaching for my son's mini when sitting on the couch.

I've had it for a week and don't miss the Air at all. I don't feel like I'm settling for an inferior product or a screen that is not as nice. Would I notice a difference if I had them side by side running identical apps or pictures? I don't know--maybe. But, I don't really see that ever happening outside of benchmark tests or reviews. If someone is disappointed with their rMini, I feel their pain--it sucks being excited for something only to feel let down.

But, having owned both, I am still extremely happy with my purchase.

mrjppc

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I purchased Inglorious Basterds in HD to watch on my new rMini. I've actually somehow never had the opportunity to see the film, and used this as a good opportunity to watch it on a beautiful retina display. Everything was good until...

Within 30 minutes, after the first chapter of the movie where not much movement is happening with the two characters conversing, the more the image on the screen changed, the more my screen would flicker! Not flicker on and off, but the colours would change, almost as if I turned the brightness above and beyond what is currently capable and then back down to normal setting. As such, every scene change, which of course is often, my screen flickers the colours accordingly. I could barely focus on the movie!

Is anybody else having this ridiculous issue? I've heard issues with the iPad mini retina screen, and if this is one of them, I'd rather return it or exchange it, unless it's a software problem others are having for videos on their iPad.

Thoughts?

Richm246

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
I got mine yesterday, I compared the mini w/ retina to the Air, and yes, there IS a difference, but it's not a problem IMO. it's the same difference between the mini 1 and the iPad 2. I love my mini, it's a MAJOR upgrade from my iPad 2.

eastbayrae

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I guess I don't understand what I am missing. I just left an electronics place here in Dubai where I looked at the Air and the rMini side-by-side. Other than the physical differences in size they looked the same.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I purchased Inglorious Basterds in HD to watch on my new rMini. I've actually somehow never had the opportunity to see the film, and used this as a good opportunity to watch it on a beautiful retina display. Everything was good until...

Within 30 minutes, after the first chapter of the movie where not much movement is happening with the two characters conversing, the more the image on the screen changed, the more my screen would flicker! Not flicker on and off, but the colours would change, almost as if I turned the brightness above and beyond what is currently capable and then back down to normal setting. As such, every scene change, which of course is often, my screen flickers the colours accordingly. I could barely focus on the movie!

Is anybody else having this ridiculous issue? I've heard issues with the iPad mini retina screen, and if this is one of them, I'd rather return it or exchange it, unless it's a software problem others are having for videos on their iPad.

Thoughts?

I watch movies on my rMini all the time & I'm not having any issues with the colors flickering. If I were you, I would make an appointment at the Genius Bar. You may have gotten a defective device, which isn't that uncommon. I hope your issue gets resolved soon!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

melbsteve

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
I guess I don't understand what I am missing. I just left an electronics place here in Dubai where I looked at the Air and the rMini side-by-side. Other than the physical differences in size they looked the same.

well... You're not alone. Have both iPads in the family and no clue what everyone is on about. I must be easy to please or something.

guinnkevinr

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Just got mine a couple of days ago and the screen seems to be pretty solid. It's a world of difference over the first ipad mini I had. :)

anon(5719825)

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I sold my original Mini yesterday and got a Retina Mini a few hours ago. Best decision I made buying this iPad. There is only a problem if you go looking for one.

eastbayrae

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
The only thing I have noticed is, when I put a Zagg anti glare screen protector on, was it seriously dimmed the screen. I am thinking of ditching it and getting a regular screen protector.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 while driving in reverse

evorc

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
The color gamut is definitely not as great as the Air, 5s, or even MacBook Pro retina. But it is still a beautiful display. You get used it to it in few days!

Amamba

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I am doing lots of amateur photography, and we have iPad 3 (I assume same Retina screen as Air, based on reviews). The Mini Retina is definitely duller and not as true in color reproduction, e.g. the greens tend to have a tad of yellow shift. On the other hand, it doesn't have a dull display at all - it's just not as vivid. Look at the original Nexus 7 if you want dull.

If we didn't already have 3, I'd be more inclined to get Air. But, I want a tablet I can take with me to work and use for taking meeting notes, scheduling tasks etc. Air is just too big for that. Would be OK if I only carried a small bag with a tablet, but I also need to carry around laptop, charger, this and that. As far as I am concerned, the great form factor of Mini outweights some color fidelity issues. Although for that kind of money, Apple should've provided best quality display - they are surely charging a premium. So, while I am not happy with it, I will live with it.

Now, if I experienced any image retention issues, I'd be furious. But none so far.

Amamba

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Yes there's a problem. I am an amateur photographer and the difference between iPad 3 Retina screen and Mini Retina is very obvious. Mini is duller and the color reproduction is not as true (e.g. the greens have some yellow shift). Luckily, skin tones seem to be good. Still, Apple is charging a premium for them but not providing a premium display.

On the other hand, if you want a portable iPad, Mini Retina beats Air. As far as I am concerned, it has the best form factor of any tablet I tried so far. So, I will live with some color issues. They are not bad, it just sucks to not get the same gorgeous screen as the big brother, while paying that kind of money.

Now, I haven't had any image retention issues. If I did, I'd demand a replacement.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I am doing lots of amateur photography, and we have iPad 3 (I assume same Retina screen as Air, based on reviews). The Mini Retina is definitely duller and not as true in color reproduction, e.g. the greens tend to have a tad of yellow shift. On the other hand, it doesn't have a dull display at all - it's just not as vivid. Look at the original Nexus 7 if you want dull.

If we didn't already have 3, I'd be more inclined to get Air. But, I want a tablet I can take with me to work and use for taking meeting notes, scheduling tasks etc. Air is just too big for that. Would be OK if I only carried a small bag with a tablet, but I also need to carry around laptop, charger, this and that. As far as I am concerned, the great form factor of Mini outweights some color fidelity issues. Although for that kind of money, Apple should've provided best quality display - they are surely charging a premium. So, while I am not happy with it, I will live with it.

Now, if I experienced any image retention issues, I'd be furious. But none so far.

Please use the "Reply with Quote" option so that we know to whom you are responding. Thank you.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox