Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

Default Anyone tempted to eBay their new rMini?

With the shortage of rMini's announced by Apple, and with Christmas coming just a few weeks after release, is anyone tempted to put any rMini's they manage to get on eBay? I know I'm torn between wanting to get my hands on one, or making a tidy profit on it and waiting a bit to purchase another one while having extra $$ in my pocket. I had pretty much decided to keep it if I managed to get one, then today I read an article saying that they'll likely be selling on eBay for "exorbitant" prices to people who want them for Christmas gifts. Decisions, decisions.
    Last edited by miscrap; 11-07-2013 at 10:00 PM.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,922 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

Default Re: Anyone tempted to eBay their new rMini?

Quote Originally Posted by miscrap View Post
    With the shortage of rMini's announced by Apple, and with Christmas coming just a few weeks after release, is anyone tempted to put any rMini's they manage to get on eBay? I know I'm torn between wanting to get my hands on one, or making a tidy profit on it and waiting a bit to purchase another one while having extra $$ in my pocket. I had pretty much decided to keep it if I managed to get one, then today I read an article saying that they'll likely be selling on eBay for "exorbitant" prices to people who want them for Christmas gifts. Decisions, decisions.
    But two sell one keep one and the profit might almost pay for yours lol
    nikkisharif and SmartFah like this.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    1,170 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Peligro911 View Post
    Not a bad idea!
    Don't you just love Smartphone/Tablet email signatures?...

-- Sent from my Nexus S Prime 3D 4G S Running Android Ice Cream Sundae with Terminator/T1000 GPS tracking on...The Now Network - Powered by SkyNet!
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

See, that's the way my mind is working. I was looking for someone to talk me down. You guys aren't helping!

Really good idea, if you can get your hands on two, looks like they might be tough to come by.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

Well looks like they are still available so may not have the extreme demand that they were predicting.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Premium1 View Post
    Well looks like they are still available so may not have the extreme demand that they were predicting.
    Although they've only been available for less than 18 hours, but I agree with what you're saying. I stayed awake last night and got mine ordered at 2:01AM Central. When I woke up this morning I checked out the site and found that I could still order. NOW I could order and go pick up at any of the multiple stores I have around here. But I think it will be interesting to see what happens in the 2 weeks before Christmas when all the people who don't frequent this site decide it's time to run over to the Apple store and do their Christmas shopping. I think the vast majority of those people don't even know it's been released yet.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,178 Global Posts

Well I brought up this point on another site-- How much do you think you can raise the price of a retina iPad Mini before someone says "forget it" and buys an iPad Air instead? Its only $100 more and they seem plentiful. I debated buying an extra to flip but I wasn't sure it would be worth the hassle. (Now watch, people will be selling them for $1000 before Christmas!)
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tlo07 View Post
    Well I brought up this point on another site-- How much do you think you can raise the price of a retina iPad Mini before someone says "forget it" and buys an iPad Air instead? Its only $100 more and they seem plentiful. I debated buying an extra to flip but I wasn't sure it would be worth the hassle. (Now watch, people will be selling them for $1000 before Christmas!)
    REALLY good point! I think one of the selling points of the new mini is that it has all the internals of the Air but costs $100 less. If you're forced to pay $100 or more extra on eBay for a rMini, may as well just pick up an Air from a real retailer and get a warranty and return privileges. Unless you really, really need/want that smaller form factor.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by miscrap View Post
    REALLY good point! I think one of the selling points of the new mini is that it has all the internals of the Air but costs $100 less. If you're forced to pay $100 or more extra on eBay for a rMini, may as well just pick up an Air from a real retailer and get a warranty and return privileges. Unless you really, really need/want that smaller form factor.
    Just a quick note to mention that I've never had issue with apple honoring warranty repairs with ebay purchases.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    5,722 Global Posts

I cancelled my extra order after coming to the same conclusion.
    iMore Newbie

According to Apple's website, any items purchased now qualifies as a holiday return, so doesn't need to be returned until after January 1. I did buy a mini with the intention to flip it. Since I have until the end of the year to return it, I am going to hang on to it for a while and see what happens with the availability. It could still pick up quite a bit. As far as how much I think I can mark it up, that's up to the Ebay bidders. I will likely list it with a reserve price to match what I paid for it. Worse case scenario I break even, best case scenario I make a little money. Of course, my 17 year old daughter is making a pitch that I should just give it to her. :-P
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,880 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

I bought two as soon as I heard they were on sale. One for me and one as a christmas present for my wife. I don't even have them yet, delivery date of Nov. 25th, but I've already gotten offers from older co-workers who "don't want to do the whole online thing". So I've still got almost two weeks before they arrive to see how limited the quantities are going to be. If I see them selling online for crazy prices then I'll sell one and buy the iPad Air. If they aren't that constrained I'll either sell to one of my co-workers or just go with my original plan.

As for people going with the iPad Air because they can't get a rMini. People were paying insane amounts for the gold 5s, the same people could just have bought a different color. People want what they want and especially because it's christmas that adds a different dynamic. A color is certainly less of a difference compared to size when you consider that a lot of people put it in a case anyway. So I think it really will depend on how constrained the rMini is especially starting in Dec. when christmas is getting close.
    can't upgrade via iTunes check this thread http://forum.tipb.com/jailbreak-unlo...ml#post1717460
    ~32GB Space Grey iPhone 5s(Audi)~32GB Space Grey rMini ~ 15" i7 SSD 16GB rMBP(Omega) on Mavericks~
    iPheuria aka The Jailbr3ak kid (soon to be retired)
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

Also with all of the black friday deals and upcoming sales on older iPads, I can see a lot of people opting for one of the lower priced iPads (or discounted ones) to try and save some money which might limit the resale of the newer iPad mini with retina seeing as how the original mini still functions fine and most can pick one of those up for $100 less than the new retina version.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    761 Global Posts

plenty of retina mini's at my local best buy and target tonight..
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

You must be lucky all of the targets here in my are has zero and in fact they haven't even received a first shipment.
    Quote Originally Posted by wbkm85 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    33,325 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 5.1.1

Futurama said it best.......

nikkisharif likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wbkm85 View Post
    Most of the plentiful stock consists of 16GB & 32GB. The 64GB & 128GB don't seem to be as readily available.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,201 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Pretty much all models of wifi and cellular in stock at my local apple store. Inventory isn't that short.

Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    Pretty much all models of wifi and cellular in stock at my local apple store. Inventory isn't that short.
    My issue is that I'm in New Mexico. Wish I was back home in a larger market, then I'd have my 128GB LTE rMini in my hands instead of just the wifi version!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    iMore Beginner

I hate people that buy things to make a profit from people that want to buy gifts for family and get ripped... Feel free not to heed to this persons warning and and lose you investment... More than 150$ over price and people will buy iPad Air and give it as a gift with gift receipt and return it and exchange it for mini with higher GB...
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

i dont get why people are selling the ipad for more on ebay. I can just go to store and get for less than those prices.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    718 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Khalid Brown1 View Post
    i dont get why people are selling the ipad for more on ebay. I can just go to store and get for less than those prices.
    The iPads are readily available at any Apple store now. I waited till the end of the day Sunday and still got the exact iPad that I wanted. They had huge amounts in stock. I got a Retina Mini.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,391 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NexusGirlX View Post
    The iPads are readily available at any Apple store now. I waited till the end of the day Sunday and still got the exact iPad that I wanted. They had huge amounts in stock. I got a Retina Mini.
    Agreed. I know my local Apple store also has plenty of iPads in stock as well.
    Heisenberg likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    619 Global Posts

It was early hype to generate more sales. There was no shortage of these to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2 while driving in reverse
    I could paint a masterpiece with all the colors of your ignorance.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast