Anyone tempted to eBay their new rMini?

miscrap

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
With the shortage of rMini's announced by Apple, and with Christmas coming just a few weeks after release, is anyone tempted to put any rMini's they manage to get on eBay? I know I'm torn between wanting to get my hands on one, or making a tidy profit on it and waiting a bit to purchase another one while having extra $$ in my pocket. I had pretty much decided to keep it if I managed to get one, then today I read an article saying that they'll likely be selling on eBay for "exorbitant" prices to people who want them for Christmas gifts. Decisions, decisions.

Last edited:

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
With the shortage of rMini's announced by Apple, and with Christmas coming just a few weeks after release, is anyone tempted to put any rMini's they manage to get on eBay? I know I'm torn between wanting to get my hands on one, or making a tidy profit on it and waiting a bit to purchase another one while having extra $$ in my pocket. I had pretty much decided to keep it if I managed to get one, then today I read an article saying that they'll likely be selling on eBay for "exorbitant" prices to people who want them for Christmas gifts. Decisions, decisions.

But two sell one keep one and the profit might almost pay for yours lol

miscrap

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Well looks like they are still available so may not have the extreme demand that they were predicting.

Although they've only been available for less than 18 hours, but I agree with what you're saying. I stayed awake last night and got mine ordered at 2:01AM Central. When I woke up this morning I checked out the site and found that I could still order. NOW I could order and go pick up at any of the multiple stores I have around here. But I think it will be interesting to see what happens in the 2 weeks before Christmas when all the people who don't frequent this site decide it's time to run over to the Apple store and do their Christmas shopping. I think the vast majority of those people don't even know it's been released yet.

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Well I brought up this point on another site-- How much do you think you can raise the price of a retina iPad Mini before someone says "forget it" and buys an iPad Air instead? Its only $100 more and they seem plentiful. I debated buying an extra to flip but I wasn't sure it would be worth the hassle. (Now watch, people will be selling them for $1000 before Christmas!)

miscrap

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Well I brought up this point on another site-- How much do you think you can raise the price of a retina iPad Mini before someone says "forget it" and buys an iPad Air instead? Its only $100 more and they seem plentiful. I debated buying an extra to flip but I wasn't sure it would be worth the hassle. (Now watch, people will be selling them for $1000 before Christmas!)

REALLY good point! I think one of the selling points of the new mini is that it has all the internals of the Air but costs $100 less. If you're forced to pay $100 or more extra on eBay for a rMini, may as well just pick up an Air from a real retailer and get a warranty and return privileges. Unless you really, really need/want that smaller form factor.

tastypre

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
REALLY good point! I think one of the selling points of the new mini is that it has all the internals of the Air but costs $100 less. If you're forced to pay $100 or more extra on eBay for a rMini, may as well just pick up an Air from a real retailer and get a warranty and return privileges. Unless you really, really need/want that smaller form factor.

Just a quick note to mention that I've never had issue with apple honoring warranty repairs with ebay purchases.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site

I cancelled my extra order after coming to the same conclusion.

kritter217

May 6, 2009
Visit site
According to Apple's website, any items purchased now qualifies as a holiday return, so doesn't need to be returned until after January 1. I did buy a mini with the intention to flip it. Since I have until the end of the year to return it, I am going to hang on to it for a while and see what happens with the availability. It could still pick up quite a bit. As far as how much I think I can mark it up, that's up to the Ebay bidders. I will likely list it with a reserve price to match what I paid for it. Worse case scenario I break even, best case scenario I make a little money. Of course, my 17 year old daughter is making a pitch that I should just give it to her. :p

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I bought two as soon as I heard they were on sale. One for me and one as a christmas present for my wife. I don't even have them yet, delivery date of Nov. 25th, but I've already gotten offers from older co-workers who "don't want to do the whole online thing". So I've still got almost two weeks before they arrive to see how limited the quantities are going to be. If I see them selling online for crazy prices then I'll sell one and buy the iPad Air. If they aren't that constrained I'll either sell to one of my co-workers or just go with my original plan.

As for people going with the iPad Air because they can't get a rMini. People were paying insane amounts for the gold 5s, the same people could just have bought a different color. People want what they want and especially because it's christmas that adds a different dynamic. A color is certainly less of a difference compared to size when you consider that a lot of people put it in a case anyway. So I think it really will depend on how constrained the rMini is especially starting in Dec. when christmas is getting close.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Also with all of the black friday deals and upcoming sales on older iPads, I can see a lot of people opting for one of the lower priced iPads (or discounted ones) to try and save some money which might limit the resale of the newer iPad mini with retina seeing as how the original mini still functions fine and most can pick one of those up for $100 less than the new retina version.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Pretty much all models of wifi and cellular in stock at my local apple store. Inventory isn't that short.

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Pretty much all models of wifi and cellular in stock at my local apple store. Inventory isn't that short.

My issue is that I'm in New Mexico. Wish I was back home in a larger market, then I'd have my 128GB LTE rMini in my hands instead of just the wifi version!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk