Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Global Posts
    4,464 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Do you guys think Retina Ipad Mini will outsell its bigger brother?

Now that it's finally gone retina, and is that super duper ultra portable size and A7 in its innards? I think it will outsell its bigger brother, for sure, or even every tablet existing prior...

Now I would think the Nexus 7 2013 edition might have a little bit of the lead in specs, but come on, if Apple is the company selling this it's got to be best selling, right?

What you guys think?

Default Re: Do you guys think Retina Ipad Mini will outsell its bigger brother?

Hard to say if it's gonna out sell big brother, but there will definitely be a demand for it. People have been waiting for a mini with retina. For me my iPad 4 with retina is great. But if I was looking, I be looking at the iPad air.

Global Posts
    22,467 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Outsell? It's possible. There are a lot of people who think the iPad is too big and heavy, but refused to get the more portable Mini because it lacked a retina display. Now, however, it is now available to them, but they've also been introduced to a lighter full size iPad. Personally, I'd pick portability over size in this regard, but some people prefer and need the bigger screen. How many? I don't know, but time will tell if the rMini will outsell the iPad Air.

The best part is big or small there's choices. And two new devices to choose from.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    891 Global Posts

As a non apple user I think this iPad Mini is the best thing they sell right now. It is an excellent media consumption device, right power, size, and screen.
    Thanked by:
    Harry Wild (10-29-2013)
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Not initially because the supply will be severely limited, if you believe the media reports... but eventually, yes... I think it will.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina

I'm on the fence with this one because, yes, people want a rMini but they are also complaining about Apple charging $70 more than the last version. Time will tell!! Personally, I don't mind the price tag but then again, I'm not really a bargain shopper either LOL. I just buy what I like
    Speedygi likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Same specs as the new Air + retina display keeping the smaller size? I think it'll do better than the big brother in my opinion. But yes, time will tell
    nikkisharif and Speedygi like this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    549 Global Posts

I think it may, because lots of people had been waiting for precisely this.

Surprised it got the A7 chip -- Apple could have put the A6 chip in and people would have been just as willing to buy. But perhaps the M7 was needed for battery life.
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  

Global Posts
    4,464 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by tigerinexile View Post
    I think it may, because lots of people had been waiting for precisely this.

Surprised it got the A7 chip -- Apple could have put the A6 chip in and people would have been just as willing to buy. But perhaps the M7 was needed for battery life.
    I think the A7 was exactly what pushed it over the top. That kind of a performance in a small package like the Retina is going to really rock all gaming experiences, plus its 64 bit? Superlicious.
    radapple likes this.
    LCW
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,336 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I think the Retina Mini will definitely outsell the Air, maybe not as as much as the original Mini vs the larger iPad. But given the fact the R-Mini has the same processor, same resolution, $100 cheaper, and assuming the same RAM, a lot people will go for the R-Mini. There's surely a reason why Apple released the Air first, and with just a bit more gap than the return period for the first Air buyers.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    4,032 Global Posts
    iOS Version

For me, that 7'9" 4:3 screen may just be the sweet spot as far as portability and productivity is concerned. I found the full sized iPad a little large at times to carry around, and while very portable, the 16:10 display on the Nexus 7 not as user friendly for non-media applications. Now that the internal specs are pretty much equivalent, I think it may finally increase adoption of the mini.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    623 Global Posts

I am thinking which to get for a trip thanksgiving week. Leaning towards iPad mini but I can't decide as well.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    1,063 Global Posts

I think you are right. The mobile tablet seems to be the hottest item in tech right now. I think the purchase line between the two will be very blurred. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a portable tablet.
    iMore Nanite

Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

I feel the the mini will be more scarce and this will cause a higher demand. The iPad mini is a sweet spot for a lot of people.
    Speedygi likes this.
  16. Thread AuthorThread Author   #16  

Global Posts
    4,464 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by vic867 View Post
    I feel the the mini will be more scarce and this will cause a higher demand. The iPad mini is a sweet spot for a lot of people.
    I don't know if it will be more scarce, but I do know it's going to be a hot selling device. I might argue that if you look at the previous trends in production of iPads, I don't think there will be any problems with these iPad Mini Retinas getting pushed out.

However, I think the demand for the device is going to be greater and greater as the months go by. It's going to be interesting to see if the smaller iPad will soon overrun the bigger iPads in sales.
    Last edited by Speedygi; 11-08-2013 at 03:32 PM.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    2,310 Global Posts

I originally wanted the mini because it was lighter in weight. Then I saw the Air & changed my mind. Lighter and thinner combined with that beautiful retina display makes perfect sense to me. Hard to say for sure whether others will feel the same way. I jst wish mine would hurry up & get here darn it. Geez....
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,201 Global Posts
    iOS Version

With being retina this year, yes I believe it will.
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts

I have a strong feeling it will. I got an ipad 3 for my mom as a gift and I'm always installing games on it for her. So naturally I've played with it here and there. While I think it's great it is rather large. I haven't tried the ipad mini yet but I've used a nexus 7 2013 edition. And the form factor is just amazing. I'd be more inclined to carry it around than a larger tablet. I would think portability would be a big deciding factor for most.
    LCW
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,336 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Do you guys think Retina Ipad Mini will outsell its bigger brother?

Depending on what happens with the display issue... Supply might be severely lacking initially... http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/...rn-in-issues-?
    Speedygi likes this.
    iMore Newbie

Its a lovely device, but i hate the screen ratio of 3:4... Too much black bars for my liking when watching videos
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    1,244 Global Posts

Maybe, people like bigger phones and smaller tablets, and given the reception of the first Mini I don't doubt it will sell well. I think I'm going to go with 50/50 though.

Blazin' Tap Tap Tappity 2 You
    iMore Intermediate

I wouldn't be surprised if the iPad Air outsold the Retina iPad Mini this year. Firstly there are supply constraints apparently, and second the iPad Airs' new form factor will appeal to some who would have ordered the Mini because of the lighter weight. However, I don't expect either to greatly outsell the other. In the end, they will likely be very similar in sales.
    LCW
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    1,336 Global Posts
    iOS Version

So far looks like the ship times haven't changed... Seemed like the ship times on the Air changed much quicker after launch... Wondering if the fear of limited supply on the Mini-R and the earlier availability of the Air has reduced demand enough on the Mini-R to not cause massive shortage??
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,530 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.0.1

I'd say its possible, but not as likely for a few reasons. One, it's only $100 cheaper this time. 2nd, its not being as heavily marketed with commercials so far, and most people don't even know its available now. And last, its not going to be as available to purchase as the iPad Air is.
    -I don't know who u are, I don't know what u want. If u are looking for a ransom, I can tell u I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills that I have acquired over the course of watching Chuck Norris in Walker, Texas Ranger, skills that make me a nightmare for people like u.

-I am not Neo, But I am still the One.

http://i44.tinypic.com/v6roqw.gif
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast