Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree60Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    Community Manager

Global Posts
    3,682 Global Posts

Default Is the iPad mini with retina display really worth it?

My thread title pretty much says is all. Is the new iPad mini with Retina Display really worth it? Does the upgrade to retina make all the difference for you? Or are you completely fine with the original iPad mini with its lower-res screen?

Suppose it all depends what you use it for, and what fits best into your budget. I do LOVE the retina display, but is shelling out that extra $100 worth it for you? Sound off!
    James Falconer
    Community Manager, Mobile Nations
    Email: james@mobilenations.com
    Twitter: @JamesFalconer
    Thanked by:
    olivercorb (11-03-2013)

Global Posts
    11,982 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Re: Is the iPad mini with retina display really worth it?

I could tell the difference between retina vs non when switching from my iPad2 to the 3rd gen. iPad... it's difficult to quantify - it's just one of those things you have to see and decide for yourself... for me - retina is just easier to see with my middle-aged eyes.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    Community Manager

Global Posts
    3,682 Global Posts

The difference for me is 'somewhat' like the difference between regular definition and hi def TV. I remember for the longest time we ran with regular definition over here. But when we picked up a new TV and started watching hi def channels... not sure we could ever go back around here!

I agree with you though. Very hard to quantify.
    James Falconer
    Community Manager, Mobile Nations
    Email: james@mobilenations.com
    Twitter: @JamesFalconer

Global Posts
    23,001 Global Posts
    iOS Version

The retina display is not a big deal for > me <, at least not in regard to the iPad. I was content with the display of the iPad 2, and even more so with the iPad Mini. Since the display is a good deal smaller, it looks even more clearer. I read a lot with it, but not in the form of ebooks. I use my Kindle for that, but a good deal of my RSS feeds, Twitter, iMore forum and general webpage reading are done via my iPad Mini and I have no problems with it.
    robertk328 and LCW like this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,455 Global Posts

Don't forget that the new Mini got more than just a Retina display. It also has better internals as well as a faster processor compared to the first Mini. I think the price increase is about what you'd expect to see with all of the improvements that were made....

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro.
    OTACORB, LCW, Jaguarr40 and 2 others like this.
    iMore Newbie

I'm happy with my iPad mini.
    LCW likes this.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

I had already made up my mind not to upgrade my iPad Mini unless it got both the retina display AND TouchID. I knew that in order to get the TouchID, Apple would have to put the A7 processor in the Mini - which was something I was sure that they would not do.

Well, they did. And that got me softening on my position just a bit. Last night my wife came home from work with her iPad 3... she dropped it, chipped the corner of the screen and dented the case right behind the volume rocker...

So, in less than 24 hours I’ve gone from "definitely not" upgrading to "very probably" upgrading... I am leaning at getting the new retina Mini and giving her my original Mini...

Deep down inside, I know that you all caused this.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    Jaguarr40 and nikkisharif like this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,455 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    So, in less than 24 hours Iíve gone from "definitely not" upgrading to "very probably" upgrading... I am leaning at getting the new retina Mini and giving her my original Mini...

Deep down inside, I know that you all caused this.
    And that my friend is the power of the internet. But hey! Deeper down inside, you knew you wanted it anyway, lol.

iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by fluppyboy View Post
    Agreed, I love my mini. Only way I would upgrade right away was if I got an air or if I got a size increase. Retina for me isn't as important on my iPad mini as it is on my phone.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Rose View Post
    And that my friend is the power of the internet. But hey! Deeper down inside, you knew you wanted it anyway, lol.
    For someone whom I have never met, you seem to know me pretty well.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina

Global Posts
    4,589 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 8

Damn right it's worth the extra cash. I returned a Mini twice because I just couldn't stand the display anymore. It was "sandpaper on my eyes" as Rene likes to put it. Even the contrast of a non-retina display seems darker. The $300 starting price point was exactly what I expected.
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 6
    iPhone 6 Plus
    iPad Mini with Retina
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    6,455 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Damn right it's worth the extra cash. I returned a Mini twice because I just couldn't stand the display anymore. It was "sandpaper on my eyes" as Rene likes to put it. Even the contrast of a non-retina display seems darker. The $300 starting price point was exactly what I expected.
    Are you saying $300 for Retina Mini or the Mini 1. Reason I ask is that the stating price point for the new Mini with Retina is $400.

Thanked by:
    Heisenberg (10-23-2013)

Global Posts
    4,589 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 8

Damn 0 next to the 9 on my iPad. I meant to type $399
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 6
    iPhone 6 Plus
    iPad Mini with Retina
    Eileen89 likes this.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    440 Global Posts

I would not buy a the non retina iPad. I had the iPad 3rd Gen, and my wife had the iPad 2, I noticed the difference NOTABLY. I have a Nexus 7 now and she has an iPad Mini, and I still notice the difference. The iPad mini has a terrible display in my opinion for this day and age.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,681 Global Posts

IMO it really comes down to price. $399 for the ipad mini 2... not worth it. If it just took over the $329 price point of the ipad mini 1... then yes. For 399, I'd rather shell out extra for the 499 ipad air. Now that thing is what the ipad line should have been a while ago. Lighter and smaller
    ladyc0524 likes this.

I definitely think its worth it!!! The fact that it has the same internals as the Air but in a smaller package, making the screen even better...I'm definitely getting it!!! I may get a few side eyes from my kids since they each have original Mini's but I think I can deal
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    3,683 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I use my laptop for school since I am diagnosed with Dyspraxia. My 13" 2011 MBP all though portable can be a pain and I have been meaning to pick up an iPad when it was announced- the problem with the old gen was that it was a smaller version of my iPad 2 and I didn't want that. Now that we have a mini iPad with the same specs as the full sized one, yes it is worth it for me
    iMore Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by fluppyboy View Post
    Famous last words! Just today I was offered almost as much for my iPad mini as I paid for it, new, nearly a year ago! So now I'm wondering if I should jump ship and upgrade to the new mini with Retina. One good reason for the upgrade would be that I could go up to the 128GB model. My mini is the 64GB model, the largest I could get at the time, and I really need the storage for those times when I want to travel without my laptop - I'm a photographer, and shaving that extra bit of weight can make all the difference when I travel by air, and to remote locations.

What it means is that instead of lugging a 2 kg laptop I can carry a 300 g iPad mini and 1.7 kg more photo gear! (How is that for self-justification? ).
    Rocket_Girl likes this.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    9,174 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

Is it really worth it? Who knows? lol...what I put value and "worth" in doesn't necessarily mirror the next guy, so just because I find no worth in it doesn't mean there isn't any. Personally, owning a first gen iPad Mini, i don't find it worth it at all...my iPad Mini does what I need it to, I don't need the retina display for anything particularly relevant to what the feature boasts, and as far as speed goes...my iPad Mini has never left me wanting or needing more performance, so no, the new iPad Mini with retina display is not worth it to me.

That said, it is the best value (in my opinion) on the market. While smaller, it still houses the best internals, retina display and costs less than the larger offering. I've never been a fan of the larger iPad, and when I had my iPad 2, I found it less useful than even my iPad Mini, because it was just too damn big and I'd just assume use my laptop at that point. I still feel that way, so the mini is always going to win out for me. I just won't be spending more money on this new one when my old one still functions perfectly.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
    OTACORB, LCW, Jaguarr40 and 1 others like this.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    5,776 Global Posts

I think the Mini is the best value as well.

This seems like a different question though. Is it worth it? That depends on how much use you get out of the device. For me, I have to honestly say that no ipad has been worth it for me. I've never sat back and felt satisfied with an ipad knowing how much I paid for it along with how little I use it.

One might ask, why keep buying them? Good question. I made the decision a year ago to stop buying ipads. Then along came the Mini (and still took me a few months to decide to keep it). For me, it came down to a couple of games I like to play on the ipad. Kingdom Rush, Chess, etc and an easier price to justify it (but not fully). The ipad, to me, is for entertainment only. The screen of the Mini still made things a pain to read on it. There's no "enjoyable" eye candy with a nonretina screen with the fuzzy text. The screen also seems dull. Nothing pops on it. That's always been a draw back. And with iOS 7, the processor struggles. There's lag and a lot of stutter. The little RAM it has is also more apparent in iOS 7 making what was annoying before on ios 6 even more annoying.

I do feel like this retina ipad mini will be the last one I buy for a few years. I think the retina screen and most current processor will make it fun to use again other than having it for a couple of games. It also may be the first ipad to be "worth it" for me.
    iMore Nanite

I have somehow held off for years buying an ipad. They seemed like great
    fun, but I could never convince myself I really needed it in addition to my MBP.

Now the new mini is retina and I have the fever. But a friend says I'm crazy not
    to go with the bigger screen of the air. Decision gridlock.
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    2,414 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    latest

I have the iPad mini. I'm going to upgrade. I can't stand the screen and the iPad 3 like slowness. Anyone want my VZW 32gb iPad mini?

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    Follow me: www.twitter.com/joshuasmiley

2011 MBA 13 i5 480GB SSD, VZW 64GB GOLD iP5S, iPad mini 32gb Black

Global Posts
    2,334 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I can tell the difference between the iPad 2 that my grandmother has and the iPad 3 I have, so yes, it makes a difference. I was hoping the new iPad mini would have a new processor, retina display and Touch ID. Not sure if I'll be getting this iPad mini either. I got the last one and took it right back. Hmm maybe I'll give it a chance actually... ugh!

Sent from my iPad using iMore Forums mobile app
    64GB iPhone 6+ 32GB iPhone 5S 64GB iPad 3 LTE 15" MacBook Pro 2.8GHz 21" iMac 2.9GHz i5

Global Posts
    23,001 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Is the iPad mini with retina display really worth it?

People will say, "D, I can't believe you'd choose the iPad Mini over the iPad Mini with retina display", and I'd reply with, "That's incorrect. I'd pick the rMini over the Mini any day". The question, however, is whether or not upgrading to the rMini is worth it, and in my regard, it is not. I have no visual problems or complaints with my current Mini, and it does everything I want and need it to do without a problem. Therefore, yes, the rMini is a better device, but no, it is not worth the upgrade from *my* current Mini.
    Last edited by JustMe'D; 11-01-2013 at 12:12 PM.
    robertk328, LCW and Jaguarr40 like this.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    28 Global Posts

After waiting anxiously for this, and hot off the heels of getting an 5s on launch day, i must say that the Mini 2 has left me a little underwhelmed.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast